Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1037477 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #690 on: January 22, 2008, 12:22:24 pm »
I agree! I really liked Michael Clayton. And George Clooney was very good. No pretty face mr. charming, but a man caught up in an empty world and trying to find his way out. I also liked him in Syriana.

Go see it Leslie, you won't be disappointed.

And I have a question. We're going to see Atonement tonight. And I was reading Robert Egbert's review. It started with 'Atonement" begins on joyous gossamer wings, and descends into an abyss of tragedy and loss.'

What does 'gossamer' mean? I couldn't find an adequate description in my dictionary. Fluffy? Featherlike? hmmm

I've never heard it before.

Probably the best description would be "soft, sheer and gauzy." If you think of wings that fairies might have (in a children's story, for example) -- that sort of gauzy, see through look with sparkles -- that describes gossamer to me.

I can't wait to hear what you think of Atonement. It has been in my mind pretty much constantly since I saw it on Saturday. There is a spoiler thread on this board (don't look at it now!) that you might want to chime in on after you have seen it.

I don't think I read Roger's review. A.O. Scott in the New York Times totally missed the boat on this movie, though, if you want my opinion.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #691 on: January 22, 2008, 01:09:14 pm »

Atonement is also on my next-to-see list.   :)

Back in the world of period movies, last night I watched the last of two episodes of Rebecca, the 1997 BBC adaptation of Daphne du Maurier's book.  I have not seen the Alfred Hitchcock 1940 production of the same film, but this 'newer' version was enjoyable to watch, particularly the last episode.  I loved Diana Rigg in her role as Mrs Danvers, the domineering (& somewhat insane) housekeeper..

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #692 on: January 22, 2008, 01:10:59 pm »
They say no picture has won the Academy Award for best picture without being nominated for Film Editing.  The last one that did was ORDINARY PEOPLE.  BBM was not nominated in this category. 

Here's the list for this year.
Film Editing

"The Bourne Ultimatum"
"The Diving Bell and the Butterfly"
"Into the Wild"
"No Country for Old Men"
"There Will Be Blood"

I think those two are frontrunners right now. However, given how studios use "Crash tactics," who knows?

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #693 on: January 22, 2008, 01:29:30 pm »
Atonement is also on my next-to-see list.   :)

Excellent! Report back....

Back in the world of period movies, last night I watched the last of two episodes of Rebecca, the 1997 BBC adaptation of Daphne du Maurier's book.  I have not seen the Alfred Hitchcock 1940 production of the same film, but this 'newer' version was enjoyable to watch, particularly the last episode.  I loved Diana Rigg in her role as Mrs Danvers, the domineering (& somewhat insane) housekeeper..

You need to see the 1940 version, it's fabulous. Put it on your netflix queue!
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #694 on: January 22, 2008, 01:30:51 pm »
They say no picture has won the Academy Award for best picture without being nominated for Film Editing.  The last one that did was ORDINARY PEOPLE.  BBM was not nominated in this category. 

Here's the list for this year.
Film Editing

"The Bourne Ultimatum"
"The Diving Bell and the Butterfly"
"Into the Wild"
"No Country for Old Men"
"There Will Be Blood"

I think those two are frontrunners right now. However, given how studios use "Crash tactics," who knows?

That's interesting and I would have put those two down as the frontrunners. Probably the winner will be the one with the bigger marketing campaign. Was either one distributed by Lionsgate (wasn't that the distributor for Crash?).

Edited to add: Yes, my memory is still intact. Lionsgate was one of the Crash distributors.

NCFOM and TWBB were both distributed by Miramax so it will be interesting to see how that shakes out.

Atonement was distributed by Focus Features--shades of BBM!

L

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #695 on: January 22, 2008, 01:41:10 pm »

Probably the best description would be "soft, sheer and gauzy." If you think of wings that fairies might have (in a children's story, for example) -- that sort of gauzy, see through look with sparkles -- that describes gossamer to me.

I can't wait to hear what you think of Atonement. It has been in my mind pretty much constantly since I saw it on Saturday. There is a spoiler thread on this board (don't look at it now!) that you might want to chime in on after you have seen it.

I don't think I read Roger's review. A.O. Scott in the New York Times totally missed the boat on this movie, though, if you want my opinion.

L

Thanks for that Leslie!

And a Belgian entry has been nominated in the category Best Short Film, Live Action. It's Tango Argentini.

I'll be honest, I haven't heard much of this. These short films are only shown at special film festivals, not in the regular cinemas. I found this on IMDB. 'An office clerk with a hankering to tango enlists the support of a workplace colleague as he prepares for a date. It's Christmas time and the concept of giving assumes fairy tale proportions in this beguiling modern story.'

It sounds interesting. I'd like to see it.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #696 on: January 22, 2008, 01:50:39 pm »
Go, Juno!  I just saw it again yesterday, and loved it just as much.  The theatre was packed!  I was able to pay attention to the little details, and the nuances of the performances this time. 

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #697 on: January 22, 2008, 02:03:51 pm »
Excellent! Report back....

You need to see the 1940 version, it's fabulous. Put it on your netflix queue!

I don't think we've got NetFlix up here but I'll definitely check it out.  :)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #698 on: January 22, 2008, 02:05:14 pm »
To me, the consensus narrative on NCFOM and TWBB goes like this: NCFOM was good, but TWBB is kind of like it and better. So TWBB wins out between those two (I've only seen the first, but if I were an Academy member, I wouldn't vote for it -- though artistically accomplished, it kind of left me cold).

Juno is completely different, so can compete without comparison. This could capture the prize if the Academy is in a "Little Miss Sunshine" mood.

It would be quirky-and-feel-good vs. epic masterpiece.

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #699 on: January 22, 2008, 03:21:21 pm »
I don't think we've got NetFlix up here but I'll definitely check it out.  :)

No Netflix up here but we do have Zip.ca which is great. (Except that it put my local Specialty DVD rental place, The Revue, out of business)