Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1025386 times)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #730 on: January 29, 2008, 10:39:14 pm »
I took the survey, too.  If I win, you've got the movie tickets, Leslie.  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #731 on: January 29, 2008, 10:58:15 pm »
I took the survey, too.  If I win, you've got the movie tickets, Leslie.  ;D

Ah, thank you Meryl. Maybe we can plan a weekend? I'll show you Portland, buy you a lobster...

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #732 on: January 29, 2008, 11:43:02 pm »
Ah, thank you Meryl. Maybe we can plan a weekend? I'll show you Portland, buy you a lobster...

L

The lobster sealed the deal.... ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #733 on: January 30, 2008, 12:49:33 am »
Hey, Leslie, I took the survey also. 

If I win, we're going together, and we'll have a pamplemousse. :)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #734 on: January 30, 2008, 09:29:45 am »
Hey, Leslie, I took the survey also. 

If I win, we're going together, and we'll have a pamplemousse. :)

Ah, excellent!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline BelAir

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #735 on: February 03, 2008, 11:02:48 am »
So, yesterday, I watched my first full length movie since Heath died.

I had been nervous for whatever reason, but everything went fine.  I watched Annapolis - a random movie I've had stored on my DVR for a while.  I thought it was a fine, easy, movie.  Not as horrible as all the reviews said...  I liked that no one died, that the liar got in trouble, that there wasn't any sex...

I also saw a little bit of "Where the Heart is," a movie I've always liked.

"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #736 on: February 03, 2008, 12:50:49 pm »
I don't pop in here often but had to say that I saw Juno yesterday and really really enjoyed it. I though the characters were quirly and witty and the storyline was great...

wow! Dream big!

I also like the Superbad guy - me thinks him and Ellen are the up and coming hot actors over the next few years.

(and on a side note - I really love the name Juno!)

http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #737 on: February 03, 2008, 01:56:34 pm »
I saw "There Will Be Blood" yesterday, and I won't say that my recent gratitude to Daniel Day-Lewis didn't play a part in the choice of what to go see.  ;)

I thought it was a very strong film, an unblinking look at oil speculators during the beginnings of that business: gritty, unsentimental and fascinating.  Unlike many films today that try to capture a period, this one did succeed in making me feel I was in the early 1900's.  Daniel Day-Lewis gave his usual superb performance--there wasn't a nano-second when you felt he wasn't totally in character as this driven, misanthropic businessman whose heart's love was given out only with great reluctance to the boy he adopted and the man who claimed to be his half brother.  His hatred for the young preacher who tries to get the best of him is made monumentally clear in the masterful final scene.  Wow, what a catharsis.  :P

I think something light like "Juno" is definitely next up on my list.  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #738 on: February 03, 2008, 05:20:44 pm »
I saw "There Will Be Blood" yesterday, and I won't say that my recent gratitude to Daniel Day-Lewis didn't play a part in the choice of what to go see.  ;)

I thought it was a very strong film, an unblinking look at oil speculators during the beginnings of that business: gritty, unsentimental and fascinating.  Unlike many films today that try to capture a period, this one did succeed in making me feel I was in the early 1900's.  Daniel Day-Lewis gave his usual superb performance--there wasn't a nano-second when you felt he wasn't totally in character as this driven, misanthropic businessman whose heart's love was given out only with great reluctance to the boy he adopted and the man who claimed to be his half brother.  His hatred for the young preacher who tries to get the best of him is made monumentally clear in the masterful final scene.  Wow, what a catharsis.  :P

I think something light like "Juno" is definitely next up on my list.  ;D

You took the words right out of my mouth, Meryl, and said it more eloquently than I could.

I just saw "There Will Be Blood" this afternoon. My reaction walking out of the theater was, "I need to think about this movie." And I do.

I certainly think Daniel Day-Lewis should get the Oscar for his performance.

The only other nominated film I have seen (so far) is "Atonement." I liked "Atonement" better, but I think this might be a better movie (if that makes sense).

L

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #739 on: February 03, 2008, 08:26:59 pm »
The only other nominated film I have seen (so far) is "Atonement." I liked "Atonement" better, but I think this might be a better movie (if that makes sense).

Yes, it makes perfect sense. I didn't feel the same way about Atonement, but I know what you mean in principle. Some movies are more enjoyable even if they aren't as "good." For example, I liked Michael Clayton better than No Country for Old Men. But NCFOM is probably better in terms of art.

TWBB is the only nominated film I haven't seen. I was going to see it last night, then I was going to see it today ... now it looks like it will be next weekend.