Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1025699 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #780 on: February 17, 2008, 11:42:26 am »
I remember that movie. I had such a crush on Aidan Quinn (after seeing him in Reckless the year before) I was busy watching anything he was in. It was good...I'd like to see it again.

Let's add it to the list, Paul!

L
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 03:05:21 pm by MaineWriter »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #781 on: February 17, 2008, 12:05:11 pm »
Did anyone talk about these two movies:

My Sister Eileen 1955;

Sweet Charity 1969;

which I saw both last night, with joy!!

These two movies sure say a lot!! You think so too??

Hugs!! Have a Beautiful Happy Sunday!! Bon Dimanche!! (Good Sunday!!)

Offline BelAir

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #782 on: February 17, 2008, 12:33:09 pm »
One of the gems I found at my  soon-to-be-closing video store is "An Early Frost"; I didn't even know it had been released on DVD.

I watched it last night:  I think I hadn't seen it since it came out in 1985.  Wow, so powerful, even 20+ years later.  A young Aidan Quinn, in one of his earliest performances, portrays the main character with dignity and intelligence.  Gena Rowlands was brilliant as the mother, and Ben Gazzara, although prone to overdoing it, develops the most.  I loved Sylvia Sydney as the grandmother:  "Come and kiss your grandmother; it's a disease, not a disgrace."  John Glover (today known as Lionel Luther on "Smallville") practically stole the show, befriending Aidan Quinn's character with warmth and humor. 

This film (the first to deal with AIDS) managed to educate the public and show a very affecting story at the same time.  Neither maudlin nor hopeless.  Thank God things have changed.

Thanks for that review...  I will add it to my netflix... no independent video stores round these parts...
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #783 on: February 17, 2008, 09:16:25 pm »
Since I'm in training these days, I've been spending more time in a hot tub with my friends, and it's reminding me of that old movie Altered States with William Hurt. Anybody remember it?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #784 on: February 17, 2008, 09:19:14 pm »
I just got back from Definitely, Maybe. It was very light but cute. I'd seen the trailers and thought it looked stupid, but A.O. Scott gave it a good review in the NYT, which persuaded me to give it a shot. And sure enough, it was worth seeing.

But Leslie, watch out -- there's a scene in which some pretty intense flirting is centered on ... smoking. There were a lot of logos in this movie, so I'm guessing they pocketed some tobacco industry money, too.

Since I'm in training these days, I've been spending more time in a hot tub with my friends, and it's reminding me of that old movie Altered States with William Hurt. Anybody remember it?

F-R, your post came in while I was writing. I loved Altered States! I was in journalism school at the time and it inspired me to spend time in an isolation tank and then write about it.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #785 on: February 18, 2008, 03:50:50 am »
I remember that movie. I had such a crush on Aidan Quinn (after seeing him in Reckless the year before) I was busy watching anything he was in. It was good...I'd like to see it again.

Let's add it to the list, Paul!

L

I can't remember how long it has been since I've seen that movie, but i really liked it. I thought Aidan Quinn's performance was very sensitive. I liked him.

Wasn't he in Desperately Seeking Susan? hmmm, need to check on IMDB
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #786 on: February 18, 2008, 09:46:18 am »
I can't remember how long it has been since I've seen that movie, but i really liked it. I thought Aidan Quinn's performance was very sensitive. I liked him.

Wasn't he in Desperately Seeking Susan? hmmm, need to check on IMDB

Yes, he was, and he was so hot in that....

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #787 on: February 18, 2008, 09:51:35 am »

But Leslie, watch out -- there's a scene in which some pretty intense flirting is centered on ... smoking. There were a lot of logos in this movie, so I'm guessing they pocketed some tobacco industry money, too.

Hahahaha, I have such a reputation! LOL

Yesterday I watched my netflix DVD, "Imagine Me and You." I think I saw previews for this back in Brokeback Days. Or maybe with "Thank You for Smoking"...which I did go and see by the way. Do you realize in that movie you never see one character smoke? Lots of talk about cigarettes, of course, but no actual smoking. But I digress...

"Imagine Me and You" was...eh. Just so-so. Certainly an easy diversion for a Sunday afternoon, but nothing that I want to rewatch.

I don't think there was any smoking, though!

L

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #788 on: February 18, 2008, 10:31:18 am »

F-R, your post came in while I was writing. I loved Altered States! I was in journalism school at the time and it inspired me to spend time in an isolation tank and then write about it.
Cool...did you get in touch with your primal self and/or turn into a monkey??

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #789 on: February 18, 2008, 11:42:22 am »
Cool...did you get in touch with your primal self and/or turn into a monkey??

Unfortunately no, so the piece I wrote was somewhat anticlimactic. I didn't even have LSD-like hallucinations. I just got really, really bored.

Or maybe with "Thank You for Smoking"...which I did go and see by the way. Do you realize in that movie you never see one character smoke? Lots of talk about cigarettes, of course, but no actual smoking. But I digress...

Thank You for Smoking was the first movie I saw after Brokeback that I was able to enjoy without constantly thinking about how it wasn't Brokeback. BTW, for those who don't already know, the director of TYFS, Jason Reitman, also directed Juno.