Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1025689 times)

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #790 on: February 18, 2008, 12:33:19 pm »
I'm off work today because Ontario has a new Holiday called Family Day (Is it just me or does that name sound offensive to others as well, thanks to the Christian right?) and I'm getting ready to go see a movie, I'm considering:

MICHAEL CLAYTON
UP THE YANGTZE
DIARY OF THE DEAD
PERSEPOLIS

What do you think?

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #791 on: February 18, 2008, 12:40:07 pm »
I'm off work today because Ontario has a new Holiday called Family Day (Is it just me or does that name sound offensive to others as well, thanks to the Christian right?) and I'm getting ready to go see a movie, I'm considering:

MICHAEL CLAYTON
UP THE YANGTZE
DIARY OF THE DEAD
PERSEPOLIS

What do you think?

If I had that list, I'd choose Persepolis.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #792 on: February 18, 2008, 12:43:15 pm »

L

Me too!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #793 on: February 18, 2008, 12:59:29 pm »
The only one on the list I've seen is Michael Clayton. I liked it a lot.

I've read Persepolis, though, and thought it was good. But you wouldn't catch me going to Diary of the Dead if I were being chased into the theater by zombies.

Offline oilgun

« Reply #794 on: February 18, 2008, 05:08:39 pm »

L

Well, I was on my way to see PERSEPOLIS but stupidly got the start times confused and got there 10 minutes late.  With all the ads and trailers the movie probably hadn't started but I didn't take the chance.  So I headed to another theatre just in time for HANNAH MONTANA!

Just kidding, I saw MICHAEL CLAYTON and really enjoyed it.  The opening scene just hooks you and reels you in, I was on the edge of seat throughout.  I wonder what the people at Monsanto think of it  >:(   Damn that George Clooney!  As soon as I'm finally able to hate him, something like this happens!

Speaking of trailers,I did get a bit of jolt, one of them was for THE DARK KNIGHT and I was NOT expecting it.  I'm just glad I was sitting down (in the dark) because my heart just broke into a million pieces. Again!  :'(
There was also a more extended trailer for 10,000 BC and I have to admit that I'm quite intrigued.  Those woolly mammoths look mighty fine.  I'm a sucker for prehistoric movies, I loved QUEST FOR FIRE and 1,000,000 YEARS BC.
Anyway, I thought they were unusual choices to show before a movie like MC.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #795 on: February 18, 2008, 05:31:27 pm »
Just kidding, I saw MICHAEL CLAYTON and really enjoyed it.  The opening scene just hooks you and reels you in, I was on the edge of seat throughout.  I wonder what the people at Monsanto think of it  >:(   Damn that George Clooney!  As soon as I'm finally able to hate him, something like this happens!

Glad you enjoyed it, oilgun! You know, I don't think the movie really deserves a BP Oscar, but I'm glad it was nominated, if only to get more attention for that much-overlooked movie.

There was also a more extended trailer for 10,000 BC and I have to admit that I'm quite intrigued.

I thought that looked interesting, too.

I did get a bit of jolt, one of them was for THE DARK KNIGHT and I was NOT expecting it.

Same thing happened to me when I saw There Will Be Blood. It's a very strange feeling.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #796 on: February 18, 2008, 05:33:04 pm »

Speaking of trailers,I did get a bit of jolt, one of them was for THE DARK KNIGHT and I was NOT expecting it.  I'm just glad I was sitting down (in the dark) because my heart just broke into a million pieces. Again!  :'(

Oh my. To see that without being prepared would be quite a jolt.

There was also a more extended trailer for 10,000 BC and I have to admit that I'm quite intrigued.  Those woolly mammoths look mighty fine.  I'm a sucker for prehistoric movies, I loved QUEST FOR FIRE and 1,000,000 YEARS BC.
Anyway, I thought they were unusual choices to show before a movie like MC.

You're intrigued...when I saw it (before Atonement, of all things!) I said to my daughter, "Yuck..not for me!" That feeling was reinforced when I saw it was from the director of Independence Day and The Day After Tomorrow (is that the right name? The one with Jake when NY turns into an ice tundra?)

The woolly mammoths did look fine, but the people weren't too appealing. LOL

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline BelAir

« Reply #797 on: February 18, 2008, 11:16:00 pm »
Oh my. To see that without being prepared would be quite a jolt.

You're intrigued...when I saw it (before Atonement, of all things!) I said to my daughter, "Yuck..not for me!" That feeling was reinforced when I saw it was from the director of Independence Day and The Day After Tomorrow (is that the right name? The one with Jake when NY turns into an ice tundra?)

L

Yes, indeed.  I don't honestly anticipate going to the theater for a movie anytime soon...   But, if I do, I'll just plan/expect to see it, so I'm not jolted...
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline oilgun

« Reply #798 on: February 19, 2008, 12:07:21 am »
Glad you enjoyed it, oilgun! You know, I don't think the movie really deserves a BP Oscar, but I'm glad it was nominated, if only to get more attention for that much-overlooked movie.

I wonder about the BP nom as well.  Maybe the story is a bit too John Grisham-esque?  Not that there's anything wrong with that, lol!  I think maybe George's famous charm ::) gave it a nudge.

Offline oilgun

« Reply #799 on: February 19, 2008, 12:29:17 am »

L

I should have specified Guilty Pleasure:D  The fact that it was by the same director as THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW (contender for worse movie title ever?) was actually a plus for me, because I figure he had the budget to pull it off and I know what to expect. 

I actually enjoyed TDaT - and Jake has nothing to do with it, I'm not a Gyllenhallic (sp?) by any means.  I actually think he should be embarrassed about being in it..  I also hated the CGI wolves -  I just love movies where cities are either deserted or destroyed.  I didn't see I AM LEGEND at the theatre because of my ongoing grudge against Will Smith, but I know I'll love seeing a deserted and crumbling New York City.  These movies speak to the kid in me.  Same thing with movies about prehistory, it's like seeing all these museum displays and artists' renderings from science books come to life, it's just so..COOL!