Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1035951 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #980 on: July 06, 2008, 07:11:46 pm »
I have an Amazon Kindle and I love my Kindle and I am reading more than I have in months. I also have a New York Tiimes subscription on my Kindle so this morning, I was busy reading the Sunday Book Review and came across this (see below). Because I can buy books at a touch of a button, I did and now I am halfway through it. The book is great and the descriptions of movies (and little trivia tidbits) are even better. Highly recommended! Even if you don't own a Kindle and have to acquire this book the old fashioned way, I'd still suggest seeking it out.

THE FILM CLUB

By David Gilmour.

225 pp. Twelve. $21.99.

July 6, 2008

Home Screening

By DOUGLAS McGRATH

Since I became a father, I have read stories about parents and their children with a humiliating lack of emotional armor. Right after our son was born, someone gave me a copy of Scott Berg’s biography of Charles Lindbergh. I thought it was wonderful until the Lindbergh’s baby was kidnapped, and then my stomach knotted up so badly I had to put the book away. Instead I read Knut Hamsun’s “Hunger,” a story of a homeless writer almost starving to death, and it was like a light comedy by comparison.

David Gilmour is a father as well as a novelist and former film critic. He has written a memoir, “The Film Club,” about his decision to allow his 15-year-old son, Jesse, to drop out of school on the condition that he watch three movies a week of Gilmour’s choosing. Because it smacked of a plot gimmick from one of the movies Gilmour used to review, I feared the book would be similarly cute and tidy. But it’s a heartfelt portrait of how hard it is to grow up, how hard it is to watch someone grow up and how in the midst of a family’s confusion and ire, there is sometimes nothing so welcome as a movie.

Given that Gilmour was a film critic, a lot of the book is about the films he and Jesse watch. Their discussions give you a quick and appealing sense of the kind of people they are. You can wonder at the Gilmours’ acuity or insanity, depending on how close they are to your own opinions. I do not share Gilmour’s view that Gene Kelly has a “malignant phoniness” in “Singin’ in the Rain,” nor his view that “The Exorcist” is the scariest movie ever made — if you’re interested in malignant phoniness, I’d look no farther than “The Exorcist.” I am certainly not “bewildered” as Gilmour is by the praise for John Ford’s beautiful and haunting film “The Searchers” — John Wayne’s unnervingly dark performance alone makes it essential viewing. On the other hand, I agree with him about Clint Eastwood and “Psycho” and “Rosemary’s Baby” and “The 400 Blows.” And he made me curious to see some films I didn’t know.

But the book is not a catalog of film recommendations. Gilmour uses the movies and, more important, the time he and Jesse spent together watching them, as an opening to explore and maybe understand who each of them is. The book chronicles Jesse’s troubles — mostly with girls, but also with drinking and drugs. And it does not spare Gilmour: he is out of work when the story starts, at an age when finding something new is both difficult and embarrassing. But he is modest about his own problems and doesn’t ask for pity. Like any good parent, he focuses on his son and he makes us care very much about what happens to him.

Like the two men at its center, the book itself stumbles every so often. Early on, I wanted to know more about Gilmour’s decision to let his son quit school in exchange for watching three films a week. That doesn’t seem like much of a standard for a boy as quick and smart as Jesse; I wondered why he set the bar so low. I also wanted to know more about why he felt that watching movies was a worthy equivalent to a more formal education. Or even an informal one. Gilmour is a novelist, yet he never made reading a part of the deal; I wondered why. I’m not trying to set up a home-schooling system for the Gilmours. I just would have liked to hear his case for why he felt movies were a better way to reach his son than museums or books or Outward Bound.

This is a minor sin of omission; there was for me a more bothersome sin of commission. Gilmour has a fondness for simile that sometimes exceeds his gift for it. There were phrases that many times took me out of the story, making me think about things that temporarily severed my connection to the material. For instance, Gilmour writes: “How little I can give him, I thought — just these little apple slices of reassurance, like feeding a rare animal at the zoo.” (Is an apple really an image of reassurance? Hasn’t he ever read Genesis? Is feeding rare animals at the zoo a way to comfort them or just a way to feed them?) Later he writes: “The trees, budding at their very tips like fingernails, appeared to be extending their branches toward the sun.” (Do the tips of budding trees really look like fingernails? I know he was distracted with his son, but maybe Gilmour needs a manicure.) Or: “For the moment we were on the porch, his spirits temporarily lifted from their coffin, to which they would return, like ghosts at sunset.” (I’m not that up on the afterworld, but do ghosts go back to their graves at sunset? Don’t they get up at sunset and sleep during the day? Or are those vampires?)

These are not the things I wanted to be thinking about as I read “The Film Club,” not only because they distracted me from a story I was interested in, but because Gilmour is as capable of the deft phrase as the daft. I loved his reference to someone’s boyfriend as “a damp-handed nightmare.” Or this quick and vivid description: “I went out that night, got ecstatically, knee-walking drunk.” The movie “Bullitt,” he says, “has the authority of stainless steel” — a perfect image for that tough and shiny film. Best of all was this sentence that captured the reality-altering magic that movies cast: “I remember emerging from the Nortown theater that summer afternoon and thinking that there was something wrong with the sunlight.”

My regard for Gilmour’s best writing, my sympathy for his struggles and my engagement in his story make my complaints seem small. If his style sometimes irked me, he has my admiration as a father for making his son, not himself, the very winning hero of this story. Not only did I find Jesse smart and funny, but more than once I was moved to tears by his battle to find his place. At the end of the book, Gilmour, helpless with love for his son, watches him onstage performing, and recalls a line from “True Romance,” a movie they’d both loved: “You’re so cool, you’re so cool, you’re so cool!”

Not only as a reader but as a father, too, I know how he feels.

Douglas McGrath is a writer and director. Among his films are “Emma,” “Nicholas Nickleby” and “Infamous.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/06/books/review/McGrath2-t.html?_r=1&oref=slogin&ref=books&pagewanted=print
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #981 on: July 09, 2008, 04:10:33 am »
I thought you was talking about the Pink Floyd David Gilmour for a while.  I like how the writer juxtaposed 'deft' and 'daft.'   I never thought of that before.

I also liked Hancock, more than I thought I would. 

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #982 on: July 09, 2008, 07:04:39 pm »
I saw Hancock with family over the weekend.  I thought it was pretty good as far as [recent randomish] superhero movies go... quite humorous, plot not too annoying...  There was no RDJ but Jason Bateman was sweet, and I preferred it to Iron Man actually.

Thanks for the report about Hancock, Bel Air.  I am trying to decide what to see tonight and ran across this at IMDb:

Hancock Makers Accused Of Homophobia

9 July 2008 12:13 PM, PDT | From wenn.com | See recent WENN news

Will Smith's new movie Hancock has been accused of homophobia by gay rights campaigners.

Bosses at The Gay + Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) allege a scene in the superhero movie takes a "cheap, unfunny shot at gay people".

The offending scene involves Smith's washed up crime fighter dismissing other superhero images, saying, "Homo. Homo in red. Norwegian Homo."

GLAAD chiefs claim "the slur sends a message that it's okay to discriminate against gay people".

Representatives for Columbia Pictures, the studio behind the movie, have refused to comment.

??? ??? ??? Thoughts?
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline BelAir

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #983 on: July 10, 2008, 02:02:58 pm »
Thanks for the report about Hancock, Bel Air.  I am trying to decide what to see tonight and ran across this at IMDb:

Hancock Makers Accused Of Homophobia

9 July 2008 12:13 PM, PDT | From wenn.com | See recent WENN news

Will Smith's new movie Hancock has been accused of homophobia by gay rights campaigners.

Bosses at The Gay + Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) allege a scene in the superhero movie takes a "cheap, unfunny shot at gay people".

The offending scene involves Smith's washed up crime fighter dismissing other superhero images, saying, "Homo. Homo in red. Norwegian Homo."

GLAAD chiefs claim "the slur sends a message that it's okay to discriminate against gay people".

Representatives for Columbia Pictures, the studio behind the movie, have refused to comment.

??? ??? ??? Thoughts?

Hmnnn, Lynne... 

I'm not exactly sure what to say.  They do have a point...  Do you want me to describe the scene in more detail?  He does end up wearing a superhero suit... so I guess I forgot about what he had said when he was initially looking at 'suit suggestions'...    If I sort of analyze what you quoted in more detail, I personally didn't interpret it as 'homophobia' - just stupidity, I guess.

What do you think?
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #984 on: July 10, 2008, 02:54:20 pm »
Hmnnn, Lynne... 

I'm not exactly sure what to say.  They do have a point...  Do you want me to describe the scene in more detail?  He does end up wearing a superhero suit... so I guess I forgot about what he had said when he was initially looking at 'suit suggestions'...    If I sort of analyze what you quoted in more detail, I personally didn't interpret it as 'homophobia' - just stupidity, I guess.

What do you think?

Mostly, I just wondered if you noticed it.   :)

I'll probably see Hancock this weekend.  There's a definite lack of things I want to see right now!
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline BelAir

« Reply #985 on: July 10, 2008, 03:14:21 pm »
Mostly, I just wondered if you noticed it.   :)

I'll probably see Hancock this weekend.  There's a definite lack of things I want to see right now!

ah, okay.  what I thought was "uh, stupid joke..."  but also, Hancock is sort of a stupid, ignorant guy at that point in the movie...

(and for anyone who cares, i do not think stupid and ignorant are redundant, they mean two different things to me...  ::))

Well, if you see it, you will of course have to let us know what you think.

I agree in terms of "lack of things to see"...  I went cause my fam wanted to go - they chose that or Wall E... I went with Hancock.  not one I would have picked to spend money on by myself at the theater.  I forget Leslie's exact terminology, but something along the lines of "fine way to pass a few hours" but then you forget it entirely.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #986 on: July 10, 2008, 03:19:31 pm »
Truman/shakestheground had very good things to say about Wall E!  That might be another option!  :)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline BelAir

« Reply #987 on: July 13, 2008, 06:03:52 pm »
Truman/shakestheground had very good things to say about Wall E!  That might be another option!  :)

Oh yes!!!  I saw that just today and it was great.  In fact, I have a new little love....

So if you have to choose b/t Wall-E and Hancock - I say Wall-E!  Unless of course you are having a Will Smith craving or want to see what the hype is all about, or are anti-Pixar and anti-robots...

8)

(I actually went to see Wall-E not wanting to like it; I initially had thought it was robots only, and was annoyed when I saw the plump humans on the adverts...  however, I was hooked and immediately over not liking it when Wall-E and EVE took their first flight!)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #988 on: July 15, 2008, 09:53:17 am »
1) Re Hancock's homophobia -- I haven't seen it, but isn't Hancock supposed to be an obnoxious loser? Seems like in that context, a slur does not carry the same meaning as it would if uttered by a respectable character. I did see about ten minutes of the movie, in which Hancock threatened an old lady that he would "break off [his] foot in [her] ass" or something like that. I didn't take that as sexist or ageist -- just jerkist.

2) Re "The Film Club" -- it sounds very good. Thanks for posting this, Leslie.

3) Re "Wall-E" -- I hate to be the nay-sayer, but I didn't love it as much as I thought I would. I'd read a four-star review that called it the best movie of the summer. But I came close to falling asleep at one point, which I've only done two or three times in my life at a movie.

4) Re Kindle -- Leslie, I've been interested in the Kindle, but I'm concerned about one aspect of it. If you lose or wreck it, does that mean you lose all of the books you purchased on it? I'd be afraid to have hundreds of dollars worth of books at stake in that one little package. Or are your purchases kept on record, so you can just buy new hardware and re-download your same texts?

Offline BelAir

« Reply #989 on: July 15, 2008, 03:04:24 pm »
I read an interesting neflix WallE review today.

A man had gone to see the film with his children; he liked it quite a bit.  He worried it may have been 'not light hearted enough' for his kids, but he reported the children liked it quite a bit too.  He said his wife found all the flying/fight scenes towards the end too boring, his male-friend fell asleep, and the wife of his male friend felt it was too dark.

::)

ps - nice to see you again crayons!