Author Topic: New Documentary "I Am Heath Ledger"  (Read 27542 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: New Documentary "I Am Heath Ledger"
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2017, 06:48:06 pm »
Can't decide whether to go tomorrow or wait for it on May 17.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2017, 06:55:59 pm »
Oh, let us know what you thought!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2017, 10:42:56 pm »
Just got back from seeing this.

Overall, it's a well done film.  Lots of unfamiliar footage of and, especially, by Heath--really the best part.  Interesting, personal stories by people who knew and loved him.  More standard format than I had expected:  the usual talking heads (seated in front of a Sears-portrait-studio backdrop, strangely), the usual chronological approach. 

Understandably adoring of Heath--his bright light, his energy, his generosity, his great potential as a director--and little mention of anything negative.  Nothing sensational about his death, thankfully.

Lovely words from Ang--the Chinese saying "even god is jealous".

I was especially moved by Ben Harper.  His story of being asked by Heath to write Matilda a lullaby, and then singing it, got to me.

Very sparsely attended.  After the credits, they played what must be the dvd extras. 

I'll always be sad that Heath never got to direct the chess-related novel, "The Queen's Gambit", possibly with Elllen Page.  With his extensive talent at chess, I'm sure he could have created a fascinating visual interpretation.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2017, 06:47:00 pm »
Thanks Paul!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2017, 10:15:05 pm »
Can't wait to see it!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2017, 10:46:23 am »
Just got back from seeing this.

Overall, it's a well done film.  Lots of unfamiliar footage of and, especially, by Heath--really the best part.  Interesting, personal stories by people who knew and loved him.  More standard format than I had expected:  the usual talking heads (seated in front of a Sears-portrait-studio backdrop, strangely), the usual chronological approach. 

Understandably adoring of Heath--his bright light, his energy, his generosity, his great potential as a director--and little mention of anything negative.  Nothing sensational about his death, thankfully.

Lovely words from Ang--the Chinese saying "even god is jealous".

I was especially moved by Ben Harper.  His story of being asked by Heath to write Matilda a lullaby, and then singing it, got to me.

Very sparsely attended.  After the credits, they played what must be the dvd extras. 

I'll always be sad that Heath never got to direct the chess-related novel, "The Queen's Gambit", possibly with Elllen Page.  With his extensive talent at chess, I'm sure he could have created a fascinating visual interpretation.

Thank you for that thorough review, Paul!  :)

I didn't realize Heath was a talented chess player.

I would have liked to see them dig in a little bit to his preparation for his roles in BBM but maybe even more for his role in Lords of Dogtown, which he was also great in but I know less about and involved some physical transformation and perhaps learning to surf and skateboard (if he didn't know already -- being Australian you'd think he'd at least have surfed).

And then, frankly, I would have liked to see more about his death. Not sensationalized, but explanatory. I suspect he was deeply depressed for any number of possible reasons -- the breakup with Michelle the most obvious, but maybe others as well. But how did it happen? How did he get to that point?

Anyway, I look forward to seeing it on the 17th.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2017, 09:32:27 pm »
Thank you for that thorough review, Paul!  :)

I didn't realize Heath was a talented chess player.

I would have liked to see them dig in a little bit to his preparation for his roles in BBM but maybe even more for his role in Lords of Dogtown, which he was also great in but I know less about and involved some physical transformation and perhaps learning to surf and skateboard (if he didn't know already -- being Australian you'd think he'd at least have surfed).

And then, frankly, I would have liked to see more about his death. Not sensationalized, but explanatory. I suspect he was deeply depressed for any number of possible reasons -- the breakup with Michelle the most obvious, but maybe others as well. But how did it happen? How did he get to that point?

Anyway, I look forward to seeing it on the 17th.

Apparently Heath was a few points short of being a chess grand master, whatever that is.

While there wasn't a whole lot about prepping for Ennis,  Ang did say that Heath's performance in "Monster's Ball" sealed the deal.  But, Ang still wasn't sure he could "carry" a film.

As for "Lords of Dogtown", there is a section where they talk about Heath's physical transformation, including the wig and the teeth, which maybe was his idea.  It seemed that Heath was pretty comfortable with the surfboard and the skateboard already.  It was also mentioned that Heath had completely gotten the voice down for the role.  Nice to see Emil Hirsch commenting all these years later. 

As for Heath's death, I think they made a particular effort to say how happy he was to be filming "Imaginarium" and seemed to be refuting any sense of depression on his part.  Rather, the strenuous efforts doing the film, in the London damp winter, having pneumonia and being exhausted were stressed. 

Yet, the film also mentioned that Heath somehow felt that he would die young.  I didn't know that. 

Katherine, I look forward to your own review. 

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2017, 12:15:27 pm »
Nice to see Emil Hirsch commenting all these years later. 

Yeah, and OT, but whatever happened to Emil? He was such a good actor, was great in LoD and in some other good films like Into the Wild, and lately ... nada.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2017, 06:43:14 pm »
Katherine, I look forward to your own review. 

yes, so do I

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2017, 10:06:36 am »
Oh-oh, the pressure's on! Better go set the VCR.