Author Topic: Into the Water  (Read 4840 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Into the Water
« on: October 22, 2006, 10:19:34 pm »
Heya Buds,

I just watched the first half of the movie (couldn't handle the whole thing tonight) and was struck by the skinny dipping scene in a new way.  It seems very interesting that this is the only scene where we see the boys actually get into the water all the way.  The abandon of the scene is certainly joyous and romantic and it stands on its own as a quick image of pure happiness and new or re-found freedom.  But, if we think about water again as a major (if confusing) symbol or metaphor for something in their relationship, this little scene might even be more of a climax or turning point.  The other scenes where they come close to being in the water include a later camping scene where they're on horseback and their horses wade down the middle of the stream (the topic of another excellent thread here), Jack doing laundry on Brokeback (he's near the stream but clearly isn't in the stream... and doesn't even seem to be wet), and really early when they're going up the mountain when Jack wades through the stream with the sheep. This skinny dipping scene is much different in that both boys are naked together and jump all the way into the cold water.   I guess if we see water as a "force of nature" that relates to the strength of their love or the state of their relationship, than this swimming scene must be a pivotal image.

:)
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
Re: Into the Water
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 05:18:36 am »
both boys are naked together and jump all the way into the cold water.   I guess if we see water as a "force of nature" that relates to the strength of their love or the state of their relationship, than this swimming scene must be a pivotal image.

:)
emphasis mine

"Jump into the cold water" - is the exact (literal) translation of a saying in my language. Means taking a risk, let yourself get deep into something of which you don't know what the outcome will be.
Similar to 'taking the plunge'.

And that's just what they do: literally, they take the plunge (they jump into the cold water) and figuratively, they take the plunge into their renewed realtionship.

It is the very first thing they do at their first trip. They jump right into their new kind of relationship, which will consist of occasional trips instead of living together like it was on Brokeback.

Pivotal and symolic indeed.

The other scenes where they come close to being in the water include a later camping scene where they're on horseback and their horses wade down the middle of the stream (the topic of another excellent thread here), Jack doing laundry on Brokeback (he's near the stream but clearly isn't in the stream... and doesn't even seem to be wet), and really early when they're going up the mountain when Jack wades through the stream with the sheep

Another one: Ennis standing in the stream when he is doing the dishes/washing the coffeepot and looking up to see Jack, a small dot moving across a high meadow as an insect moves across a tablecloth.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 08:36:13 pm »
That's really interesting about the "jump into the cold water" saying!  Yup, it really is a visual image of "taking the plunge." 

The scene with Ennis wading in the stream had slipped my mind.  Thanks for posting the pics.  That little scene seems more and more about Ennis beginning to fall in love... or beginning to realize an attraction.  Maybe this scene is about "testing the waters."  He gets into the middle of the stream and then we see him get out again.  It seems crucial that he looks at Jack while he's in the water.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline adrian

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 03:24:51 am »
Heya Buds,

I just watched the first half of the movie (couldn't handle the whole thing tonight) and was struck by the skinny dipping scene in a new way. 

I recall Ennis' line, "You may be a sinner, but I ain't yet had the opportunity," and it makes me see this scene as a baptism of sorts.  Clearing all their sins, in their own, special mountain refuge/chapel.
There were only two of them on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air, looking down on the hawks back and crawling lights of vehicles on the plain below....they believed themselves invisible.   A. Proulx

Offline HerrKaiser

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2006, 01:02:03 pm »
By the by...the photo shown above of Ennis looking up onto BBM from the stream is my favorite few-seconds of image of Ennis in the film. His expression is ever so complex and filled with questioning, yearning, wonderment, fear, confusement, and possibley desire. He has a Brando de Wilde-ish look at this one point that creates an ever greater impression of innocence that in his heart may be at question, at this moment.

Back to subject...very insightful point about the skinny dipping scene. What's more, they "jumped" into the water; they didn't come upon it, like crossing a stream or washing clothes or bathing. Rather, they eagering immersed themselves into this cleansing, freeing, "baptising" ritual that left them each open and literally (and figuratively) totally exposed to one another. It was a reaffirmation of time, place, and emotion. 'We're back...and it's us' sort of a thing.

Cheers!

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2006, 12:44:33 pm »
River/ water = life
Falling = in love
Nakedness = guiltless, shameless joy

It's all very traditional imagery, yeah right on
and I laughed openly when I first saw that, and smile every time since.

Rayn

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 02:56:55 pm »
By the by...the photo shown above of Ennis looking up onto BBM from the stream is my favorite few-seconds of image of Ennis in the film. His expression is ever so complex and filled with questioning, yearning, wonderment, fear, confusement, and possibley desire. He has a Brando de Wilde-ish look at this one point that creates an ever greater impression of innocence that in his heart may be at question, at this moment.

I'd throw in concern and worry and care. I always think he's looking up at that dark looming sky and hoping Jack's gonna be OK up there, picking his way along the edge of a mountain.

Offline HerrKaiser

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 03:19:31 pm »
yes, all those emotions seem to be at play. I just love that momentary expression on Ennis, especially with him standing there in the stream, taking a slight break from his chores, and churning with the feelings mentioned above. His look is one of those people live with in memory for all their lives; worth a thousand words.

A little prelude to his expression at this point may have been exposed when he and Jack were setting up to leave for the mountain. Ennis alerts Jack to the low startle point of Jack's mare..and Jack rebukes him. Ennis' look, for just a quick moment, tends to mirror this one we are talking about here. Jack's rebuke puts a cast on Ennis' face that is a combination of all the emotions noted above as well as a little hurt. He wears his emotions on his face, for sure.

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2006, 11:17:54 pm »
I'd throw in concern and worry and care. I always think he's looking up at that dark looming sky and hoping Jack's gonna be OK up there, picking his way along the edge of a mountain.

That look makes me think that Ennis is remembering the lightning storm that killed 42 sheep the summer before. Jack's just about the tallest thing on that bare ridge. And ridges in a lightning storm are really scary places.

(But maybe that comment belongs in the Jack-and-the-wind discussion?)

(Do we have a thread for lightning references? I can't remember now.)
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2006, 11:28:22 pm »
Not that I can recall, but I've been meaning to start one. You go, Mel.
"chewing gum and duct tape"