Author Topic: Minute Detail - IMO The Best Line Delivery in the Movie  (Read 20039 times)

rtprod

Minute Detail - IMO The Best Line Delivery in the Movie
« on: April 05, 2006, 12:07:43 pm »
Too many, but here's a few of mine:

"Ain't never enough time.  Never enough."

"I did once." 

"..Thought he meant to get drunk."

"Jack, I swear..."

And two of my all-time favorites:

"That foreman, he- he owes me.  I worked through a blizzard last Christmas.  Remember that?" 

"Well, all right.  As long as I don't have to saang.." 

There's something about the way Ennis stutters when he says "he- he owes me" that literally puts me in a reverie. 
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 12:15:37 pm by rtprod »

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Minute Detail - IMO The Best Line Delivery in the Movie
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 12:11:41 pm »
"thats the most I've spoke all year"    Nice  line, Great smile from Heath

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 12:17:55 pm »
The whole confrontation between Ennis and Alma, Michelle is just amazing in that scene (as is Heath). Then the telephone call scene Anne is brilliant.

rtprod

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 12:21:17 pm »
Brandon,

What I love most about the kitchen scene is the way that Heath is trembling and growling while she speaks, like a bull about ready to charge.  If we could see his feet, they're probably scraping the floor.

And the brilliance of the telelphone scene lies in what's not in the dialogue -- the reading between the lines, capturing the expressions and listening to the vocal patterns, breathing and inflection.  This scene flies on Hathaway's additional layers of meaning that don't exist in the text.  Great stuff, and what great film acting is all about. 

rt
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 12:29:53 pm by rtprod »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 12:33:27 pm »
Every single word is pure poetry but I love the way Jack says, "She got lucky."

I also love (from Ennis), "Looks like my dad was right."

I don't know what it is about those two lines, I listen for them every time.
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline wtbgirl

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 12:34:39 pm »
In re the kitchen scene --- I agree, the physical "acting" by the actors, especially Heath, is as important as the dialogue - Ennis' increasingly almost "primal" movements in the kitchen literally scream "Don't go there Alma" more than saying the actual words ever could.  Same as when he punches the wall after leaving Jack - also just  ... primal.

But the best line delivery for me is the scene where Jack says "Friend ... that's more words than you've spoken in the past two weeks" followed by Ennis' "Hell that's the most I've spoken in a year."  IMO, the people the folks that don't "get" the developing relationship between them on the mountain don't understand the importance of that moment.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2006, 12:38:26 pm »
So many real beauties, but bar none, the one I listen for every time is

"Nobody's business but ours."  The way his voice cracks there is so heartbreaking.

And I know we're not talking non-verbal moments right now, but one of Heath's that's really struck me on the last couple of viewings is when he reads the first post card from Jack, the way he reads it silently the first time, stroking the sides of it with his thumbs as if it's a piece of his soul, and then the way he reads it a second time, mouthing the words.

Back to the topic at hand, if I had to pick one, I guess I especially like the way Heath delivers the line, "You got whiskey, or sumpin'?"  Don't know why, but it just rings particularly true to me.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 12:41:28 pm by ednbarby »
No more beans!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2006, 12:40:33 pm »
But the best line delivery for me is the scene where Jack says "Friend ... that's more words than you've spoken in the past two weeks" followed by Ennis' "Hell that's the most I've spoken in a year."  IMO, the people the folks that don't "get" the developing relationship between them on the mountain don't understand the importance of that moment.

That's so true - if you don't see both of them falling in love in that scene, Jack by having that pure, unadulterated joy that comes from realizing the one you've been crushing on is opening up - TO YOU, and Ennis - his face opening up, as Victoria so beautifully said, like a flower - the movie is lost on you.
No more beans!

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2006, 12:43:02 pm »
It's usually nearly impossible for me to come up with a best/favorite statement about anything involving this movie; however, far and away and without doubt the best line delivery, for my money, is Jack's lake speech, culminating in

...and you tell me you'll kill me for needin something I don't hardly never get.

First time, last time, all the times in between, this is when I fell in love with Jake Gyllenhaal.

Offline Becky

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • No one can resist the Twist!
    • Myspace site, kinda scary but I like it!
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2006, 12:47:18 pm »
I love it when Ennis says, "Goin' out to get drunk"(Or something to that effect, I don't have my screenplay with me at the moment.) I just love the way he says drunk like he is saying drung. Then he simultaneously opens a beer! I know all of you guys have chosen big scenes with memorable lines so far, I chose this one cause it is the tiny little details that I love about this film. That is actually one of the main reasons that I love talking to you guys, I can talk about the tiny insignificant things and you will want to talk about them! I love you guys! :-*
"Look too often at those hills, lie too long beside those rippling rivers, and you may think you are hearing a love song, when actually it is a death song." Larry McMurtry, Brokeback Mountain: Story to Screenplay.