Author Topic: Election Time in the USA... How would Ennis + Jack have voted?  (Read 6636 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: Election Time in the USA... How would Ennis + Jack have voted?
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2006, 09:37:26 pm »
I don't think they would've voted at all.  Not Jack ('nothing I can do about it up here') and certainly not Ennis ('if you can't fix it you gotta stand it').

Offline David

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2006, 09:40:54 am »
Y'all are wrong so far.     Jack and Lureen are business people.    They would no doubt vote Republican.  Note how Jack was complaining to Ennis about all his taxes being eaten up? 

Ennis would vote Democratic.  He has always been poor and surrounded by folks who often need a Federal hand out.   Farmers often rely on Federal money for their crop sudsidies.  Not to mention maybe even welfare and other local funds for the working class when things get real bad.

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2006, 01:01:26 pm »
Y'all are wrong so far.     Jack and Lureen are business people.    They would no doubt vote Republican.  Note how Jack was complaining to Ennis about all his taxes being eaten up?

Excellent point, but Texas in them days was one of the last of the yellow dog Democratic states.  I suppose I was thinking Jack before he got married. 

Ennis would vote Democratic.  He has always been poor and surrounded by folks who often need a Federal hand out.   Farmers often rely on Federal money for their crop sudsidies.  Not to mention maybe even welfare and other local funds for the working class when things get real bad.

Again, I suppose I'm thinking Ennis before he got married.  Before he was in any precinct long enough to have an address where he could be registered to vote.

Offline David

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2006, 08:23:51 pm »
I understand your points.   Jack being the optomist and "more gay" of the two might be thought of as more independant and Democratic.    Ennis being brought up in the conservative Mid West might be Republican minded.     

But I'm going to stick with my original post and say that Jack & Lureen were Republicans and Ennis (if he voted at all) would vote for the common man and stay Democratic.

Offline JT

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2006, 04:03:15 pm »
I'm starting to see Ennis not voting at all.  But if he does vote, it could go either way.

As for Jack, I still see him voting for Democrats but Laureen for Republicans.  Remember that husbands and wives can and do vote differently sometimes.  Laureen was a business person but Jack, although married to her, wass not.  Finding that parka and meeting Ennis was far more important than the business.  When Jack complained to Ennis, it seem more like he was talking about Laureen's obsessions with making money and less about himself.  He on the other hand, sees no point in making it.  Just my thoughts.