Author Topic: Corona - what does help you? Your fears, thoughts, everything  (Read 152251 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Corona - what does help you? Your fears, thoughts, everything
« Reply #70 on: April 10, 2020, 03:50:17 am »
I just learned how to make a face mask out of a bandanna and two rubber bands. I have so many different bandannas left over from the days of the Hankie Code that I can color coordinate my face masks with what I'm wearing.  ;D

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2020, 08:55:20 am »
Yup. I love Matt Damon. After seeing the movie I ordered the book and as so often it's better than the movie. And in my head, the book also has Matt Damon in it  ;) :laugh:

I liked the movie. I don't know if I liked it enough to read the book, but I agree -- sometimes it's nice to see the movie first so you can imagine the roles in the book being played by the actors.

I just went down a rabbit hole; I thought of one movie/book that worked especially well that way: Wuthering Heights. I saw the movie when it came out in 1970, then read the Emily Brontë book about 12 times, always picturing young Timothy Dalton in the role of Heathcliff. I just googled it and found that you can not only watch scenes from the movie, but you can watch the whole movie on YouTube. Maybe I'll do that sometime.

Anyway, WH the book is very good, but it's got some difficult language and a really complex structure, so as a 12-year-old I might not have finished it if I hadn't first seen the movie. Then it would be like Jane Eyre, the more famous Brontë classic, which I never saw as a movie and never read as a book.

Also, WH the book is not as openly romantic as WH the movie, and I liked having the romantic version established first, setting that tone in my mind.

I can think of one other movie/book (well, short story) that worked that way for me!  :laugh:

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #72 on: April 10, 2020, 03:09:04 pm »

Yup. I love Matt Damon. After seeing the movie I ordered the book and as so often it's better than the movie. And in my head, the book also has Matt Damon in it  ;) :laugh:

I get that. I can't possibly read Gone With the Wind without seeing Vivien Leigh as Scarlett--which is kind of ironic, I guess, because the first line of the novel is "Scarlett O'Hara was not beautiful.".
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #73 on: April 10, 2020, 03:11:31 pm »
I had a surprise this morning. I got to the supermarket where I shop at about 9:45. I figured I was going to have to wait in line outside the store to get in and shop, but there was no line, there were few shoppers in the store, and the bread shelves were fully stocked--the store must have had a bread delivery this morning.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #74 on: April 10, 2020, 04:34:05 pm »
Our supermarkets were closed on Good Friday as normal. They will be open on Easter Sunday which is not normal.  The buses were running on Good Friday. They normally do not and a heritage bus fleet runs on the two main routes but it was decided they would not this year and essential service people might need a bus. I saw a bus when I was on my walk and am pretty sure it was empty. Buses are running on a weekend timetable (hourly where I live) all week.

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #75 on: April 10, 2020, 04:47:01 pm »
I have never read 'Gone With the Wind" but have watched the movie several times. I have the DVD. I remember the first time was when I was a university student and it was a Friday afternoon movie at the university theatre so must have been 1963-64
I have read Wuthering Heights many times, may have seen one of the movies (haven't there been several?)
I have a very good friend, Trudy. She was my assistant in the library from 1995 to 2002 and we have remained friends. I always take her out to lunch when I go back to Sydney. Like many women of that time, she had a basic education, left school, married and brought up children then went back to school and to college to become a library technician because she loved reading. She had never read WH and came to me after reading it and said something like "I was told it is the greatest love story ever written but it is a miserable story" I had to laugh, I do love it myself. Perhaps I am attracted to sad love stories which is why I am here. Actually Trudy is the only person to whom I have ever lent my DVD of BBM. Cannot remember her comment now.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #76 on: April 10, 2020, 05:23:20 pm »
I don't believe I've ever read Wuthering Heights, the various movie installments having put me off to the story. Someone at The Guardian feels similarly:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/jul/21/emily-bronte-strange-cult-wuthering-heights-romantic-novel

I like Tom Hardy in the PBS version best.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #77 on: April 11, 2020, 12:48:26 pm »
Hello everyone!

Just checking in to make sure everyone is ok!

Isolating and social distancing seems to be working for me.  I've managed to stay healthy and safe, as have my parents.  We all have masks that my brother Chris was able to secure for us, so I have one to wear when I go outside, which is very rarely.

I've made the occasional run to the grocery store, and each time I've pretty much found everything I need, so I'm not going without, so I consider myself lucky.

Even working from home seems to be a benefit.  When I work at the office, I have to leave my apartment by 7:15, to be there by 8:00.  I leave at 4:30 and get to Verona by 5:00 to meet my friend Tina to walk around the park for some exercise. Bed by 10:00.   However, I now get up at 7:45 to sign on by 8:00.  I stay up until midnight.  During the day I take two exercise breaks by using the Leslie Sansone Walk from Home video series.  I'm currently up to the 3 Mile Walk version, which takes 45 minutes.   

With schedule, I'm working out more than I did before the virus, which is good.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #78 on: April 11, 2020, 01:28:02 pm »
How do you walk to a video? Just pace back and forth in the room?

You and Tina could still walk around the park staying 6 feet apart, right? Or is your park too crowded?

There's a lake a few blocks away I could walk around, but I think too many other people would be doing the same.

Ellemeno said on Facebook that she and her husband go out for drives, and when they get anywhere they think someone might have walked or biked, they close the windows. I'm not being that cautious, but then I don't live in Seattle.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #79 on: April 11, 2020, 02:22:18 pm »
You and Tina could still walk around the park staying 6 feet apart, right? Or is your park too crowded?

I haven't been walking with Tina in a while, she's been in quarantine.  Her husband had caught the virus,  and since she had been exposed,  we stopped meeting.  As of now, he has recovered, and she either managed  to not get it, or she got it and was asymptomatic.

There's a lake a few blocks away I could walk around, but I think too many other people would be doing the same.

That's another reason to avoid the park where Tina and I meet.  I get that it's outdoors, but the park can get pretty busy, and it just doesn't seem to make sense to stay away from everyone during work hours, and then after work go to the park and get exposed.

Ellemeno said on Facebook that she and her husband go out for drives, and when they get anywhere they think someone might have walked or biked, they close the windows. I'm not being that cautious, but then I don't live in Seattle.

I'm thinking I may go for a ride tomorrow, after I leave mom and dad's place.  Nowhere special, just out for a little spin.

How do you walk to a video? Just pace back and forth in the room?

The workout series I'm using is called "Walk Away The Pounds" by Leslie Sansone.  She has 4 basic moves that you follow along with.  Walking in place, kicks, knee lifts, and side steps.  She rotates through those four moves, in tandem with using hand weights, at different tempos.  Between the arm movements and the leg movements, in under 15 minutes, you've burned the calories you would for a 15 minute walk.

She has workouts that range from 1 mile to 5 miles (time is 15 minutes to 75 minutes).   

I've been doing the 3 mile walk, twice a day for the past few days.   Here is a link to that video.  You don't need to watch the whole 45 minutes, but if you give it a minute or two, you'll get the idea.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!