Author Topic: Corona - what does help you? Your fears, thoughts, everything  (Read 152345 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Corona - what does help you? Your fears, thoughts, everything
« Reply #130 on: May 06, 2020, 08:48:24 am »
A friend at work had plans to travel to Italy. When the virus started getting bad there, she realized she'd have to cancel her plans. So she consoled herself with a spur-of-the-moment long weekend in New Orleans. This was right around Mardi Gras.

Louisiana now has almost 30,000 cases and almost 2,000 deaths, the majority in New Orleans -- partly just because it's the biggest city, but also because the crowds at Mardi Gras helped spread it.

The mayor of NOLA has been criticized for not canceling Mardi Gras, But it was on Feb. 25, before anyone was talking about closing public places or canceling big events. It also draws well over a million visitors and billions of dollars.

My coworker is fine, though.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #131 on: May 06, 2020, 09:53:10 am »
I've been thinking, we are hearing that beef and chicken are getting scarce and more expensive because processing plants are closing because of Covid-19 infections among the workers. But I have not yet heard anything about what effect these scarcities will have on manufacturers of prepared foods. I'm not joking. For example, if chicken becomes expensive, will Campbell's still be making chicken noodle soup--or, what effect will that have on prices to consumers? Or, what will happen with frozen entrees that include beef or chicken? Or things like canned chili or beef stew?

To be sure, diets are healthier without these things, and that could be part of the answer, but that's really not what I'm getting at here. I simply wonder what effect these scarcities will have on other consumer products besides fresh beef and chicken.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #132 on: May 06, 2020, 10:08:02 am »
BTW, have any of you folks on Facebook heard anything from Meryl?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #133 on: May 06, 2020, 10:18:50 am »
BTW, have any of you folks on Facebook heard anything from Meryl?

Yup. As recently as 10 hours ago, she posted a photo of herself -- with a group of Brokies, in fact!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #134 on: May 06, 2020, 10:58:46 am »

Here we are!  Madrid, 2014, back stage after the BBM opera.  The very tall fellow in the back is Daniel Okulitch, who played Ennis.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #135 on: May 06, 2020, 02:54:30 pm »

Here we are!  Madrid, 2014, back stage after the BBM opera.  The very tall fellow in the back is Daniel Okulitch, who played Ennis.

I can't believe it's already 6 fucking years ago!

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #136 on: May 06, 2020, 03:08:03 pm »
We're scheduled to travel to Scotland mid-July, but now I doubt it. Everything is already booked since last December, sigh.

Monika and I had plans to travel to Canada mid-August. We were just about to book our flights when Corona hit big time, so nothing is booked yet. If we can't travel in August, we hope for later in the year, maybe end of October/November.... But who knows.

If the family vacation in summer gets cancelled, I'm hoping for early October because my son has another period of school holidays at the time.

So basically, I think July might be too early but I'm still holding on to our bookings.
Our German government says international travel might not be possible for the whole year…  But I'm stubborn and refuse to give up hope for a fall vacation.
The UK company who arranged my Albania/Kosovo trip gave me a credit note to decide by July 31 but I told them I could not make any decision about next year by then so they have just sent me a form to apply for a full refund. I have vouchers for use on Emirates, Air New Zealand, Qatar Air and Aegean Air but do not have to make decisions about rebooking until March next year. I have applied for a full refund with Qatar (I had splurged on a business class fare coming home from Athens to Sydney in June).
As you know, I liked to take one big tour each year for as long as my health holds up. In 2017 when I met you and Monika in Jasper was Canada and Alaska then 2018 was mainly in London and nearby but I did take 7 days on the West Coast of Scotland. In 2019 I decided to pay for a hernia op (it had given me grief while hiking in the UK) so just went to Sydney for 10 days and some short trips here in NZ.  Then I planned this big trip to the Balkans and Greece this year but I am feeling my age hence the business class flight on the way home (I was quite ill after flying back from Dubai to Sydney in 2018).  Now back to the drawing board for 2021 but it will not be the 10 weeks away planned for this year.

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #137 on: May 06, 2020, 03:13:43 pm »
I've been thinking, we are hearing that beef and chicken are getting scarce and more expensive because processing plants are closing because of Covid-19 infections among the workers. But I have not yet heard anything about what effect these scarcities will have on manufacturers of prepared foods. I'm not joking. For example, if chicken becomes expensive, will Campbell's still be making chicken noodle soup--or, what effect will that have on prices to consumers? Or, what will happen with frozen entrees that include beef or chicken? Or things like canned chili or beef stew?

To be sure, diets are healthier without these things, and that could be part of the answer, but that's really not what I'm getting at here. I simply wonder what effect these scarcities will have on other consumer products besides fresh beef and chicken.

On our news last night, we were told that there is no problem with meat production as we are a large exporter to the rest of the world but, because of overseas demand, we can expect our local prices to go up. The value of exports actually increased in April despite lockdown. There was a decline in March as China stopped importing our timber but that is now starting up again. Our big loss is in tourism income.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #138 on: May 06, 2020, 08:19:42 pm »
Yup. As recently as 10 hours ago, she posted a photo of herself -- with a group of Brokies, in fact!

Thanks! Really glad to know she's OK.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #139 on: May 07, 2020, 03:54:53 am »
The UK company who arranged my Albania/Kosovo trip gave me a credit note to decide by July 31 but I told them I could not make any decision about next year by then so they have just sent me a form to apply for a full refund. I have vouchers for use on Emirates, Air New Zealand, Qatar Air and Aegean Air but do not have to make decisions about rebooking until March next year. I have applied for a full refund with Qatar (I had splurged on a business class fare coming home from Athens to Sydney in June).
As you know, I liked to take one big tour each year for as long as my health holds up. In 2017 when I met you and Monika in Jasper was Canada and Alaska then 2018 was mainly in London and nearby but I did take 7 days on the West Coast of Scotland. In 2019 I decided to pay for a hernia op (it had given me grief while hiking in the UK) so just went to Sydney for 10 days and some short trips here in NZ.  Then I planned this big trip to the Balkans and Greece this year but I am feeling my age hence the business class flight on the way home (I was quite ill after flying back from Dubai to Sydney in 2018).  Now back to the drawing board for 2021 but it will not be the 10 weeks away planned for this year.

What a hassle to deal with all those companies.

In 2017 when I met you and Monika in Jasper was Canada and Alaska

I remember that. Great memories!  :)

I hope you'll stay in good health and can make up trip-wise next year!