Author Topic: Corona - what does help you? Your fears, thoughts, everything  (Read 152324 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Corona - what does help you? Your fears, thoughts, everything
« Reply #230 on: June 24, 2020, 09:59:56 am »
Bonus fact: your beloved orange one (satire!) has barred all EU inhabitants, but explicitly not the British, as a kind of reward to them since they left the EU. A big show was made of that. But it didn't last long. British people have then been barred from entering the US, too. Only the orange one didn't tout it as loudly.

When I read your first sentence I thought it was going to say that Trump approved that because the British people are about as white Anglo-Saxon Protestant as you can get and they speak English. So, unlike people from "shithole countries," they're OK. But I guess the other explanation is more timely.

I don't think it will come to pass.

:)

Even if it becomes possible, is it wise to do it?
Is your health--indeed, your life--worth a visit to Lichtenstein? I'm not saying that in an attempt to be funny. Right now I'm very reluctant to travel anywhere in the U.S., even here in the Northeast, other than to visit my father.

My thought was that if Americans were to enter another country, we'd probably be more dangerous to them than they to us.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #231 on: June 24, 2020, 11:37:57 am »
My thought was that if Americans were to enter another country, we'd probably be more dangerous to them than they to us.

That's probably true.

It would just be like The Great Orange Satan not to realize how much immigration Britain has had from the Commonwealth countries.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #232 on: June 24, 2020, 01:40:06 pm »
Bonus fact: your beloved orange one (satire!)

A much nicer than than I would've given him!  LOL

Thanks for the clarification, Chrissi!   I tried to find other sources for the story, but at that time I couldn't, and since I don't have a NYT subscription, I couldn't read the full story.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #233 on: June 24, 2020, 10:20:04 pm »
A much nicer than than I would've given him!  LOL

That’s for sure!!  No need to be polite, Chrissi!

Thanks for the clarification, Chrissi!   I tried to find other sources for the story, but at that time I couldn't, and since I don't have a NYT subscription, I couldn't read the full story.

I have one. Post the link and I’ll cut and paste.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #234 on: July 01, 2020, 08:50:39 am »
Newest developments re border openings:

In accordance with the EU regulations, citizens of the following  countries can now visit Germany again:

Australia, Georgia (country, not US state), Japan, Canada, New Zealand, South Korea, Thailand, Tunisia, Uruguay, China.

For China, South Korea and Japan there's a condition however: the opening of EU borders to those three countries must be mutual. If they stay closed, they can't come here either.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #235 on: July 01, 2020, 09:03:42 am »
It has been a long time coming, now the decision is made: we can't go on vacation in Scotland this year. GB still has a two week quarantine for incoming people.

Stupidly, I can't reach the agency where we booked our holiday cottages.
I can cancel the booking online, that's not the problem. But then I will lose all payments I already made. That's 1/3 of the whole costs, plus 100€ booking fee.

I'd rather postpone the holiday for a whole year and book the same cottages for next year's summer. I already know the dates we could travel in 2021.
In that case, I wouldn't lose the money; it would just stay with the company and count as deposit for next year. Fine with me.

But I can not reach them I tried email and phone several times. They're totally overrun with enquiries, their website says as much. :-\

I can cancel the booking online, but I can't change the dates online, I need a staff member for that. >:(

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #236 on: July 01, 2020, 09:10:40 am »
When I had to cancel my vacation last fall, the folks who run the guest house where I stay more or less offered to hold my deposit for another visit. I thanked them, but I had and have no idea when I might return, so I felt I had to decline.

It never occurred to me to ask them to hold it for a year. Covid-19 had nothing to do with it then. The issue was that I came to feel that as long as my father is still living, I can't plan any vacation. As rough as that is for me emotionally, it would be worse if I had to cancel at the last minute again.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #237 on: July 01, 2020, 01:54:14 pm »

It never occurred to me to ask them to hold it for a year.

Me neither. That's a new development, coming with Corona, that businesses in the travel sector try to delay existing bookings into next year. So I'd be happy to do that, if only I could reach them... :(

The issue was that I came to feel that as long as my father is still living, I can't plan any vacation. As rough as that is for me emotionally, it would be worse if I had to cancel at the last minute again.

That IS rough. Sorry, bud.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #238 on: July 01, 2020, 02:16:47 pm »
Right now, I'm currently watching to see if more states start to spike like Florida, Texas and others are.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #239 on: July 01, 2020, 02:57:32 pm »
Newest developments re border openings:

In accordance with the EU regulations, citizens of the following  countries can now visit Germany again:

Australia, Georgia (country, not US state), Japan, Canada, New Zealand, South Korea, Thailand, Tunisia, Uruguay, China.

For China, South Korea and Japan there's a condition however: the opening of EU borders to those three countries must be mutual. If they stay closed, they can't come here either.
I find this rather amusing as Australians are not allowed to travel and Kiwis are advised not to do so and anyone returning will have to go into 14 days government administered quarantine at our own expense. There has been a spike in cases in Melbourne over the last week and as a result any talk of a cross Tasman bubble has disappeared and I doubt I will be able to visit Sydney this year.
My brother-in-law's nephew has finally been given permission to return home to his wife in Prague and is flying today via Doha but he is very nervous. However he has not seen her since early March.