Author Topic: Corona - what does help you? Your fears, thoughts, everything  (Read 152128 times)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
Re: Corona - what does help you? Your fears, thoughts, everything
« Reply #340 on: August 26, 2020, 03:49:46 pm »
Even if it does turn out to be phony, I can think of one teen film I'd like to see some day: Love, Simon.

It was WAY phony.   :laugh:

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #341 on: August 26, 2020, 04:24:15 pm »
Even if it does turn out to be phony, I can think of one teen film I'd like to see some day: Love, Simon.

It was WAY phony.   :laugh:

:laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #342 on: August 26, 2020, 05:48:47 pm »
The whut?

It's about a high-school girl, played by Emma Stone, who starts a scheme in which boys pay her to say she slept with them -- though she actually didn't -- because the boys think it will boost their reputation. She sews A's on some of her clothes and gets involved in various other complications and shenanigans.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #343 on: August 26, 2020, 06:32:06 pm »
It's about a high-school girl, played by Emma Stone, who starts a scheme in which boys pay her to say she slept with them -- though she actually didn't -- because the boys think it will boost their reputation. She sews A's on some of her clothes and gets involved in various other complications and shenanigans.

Would that make her a faux ho'?

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #344 on: August 26, 2020, 10:29:15 pm »
Would that make her a faux ho'?

Ha, probably! Although the movie is rated PG-13, so they went with "skank" than ho' (as if that's better, but that's a whole 'nother discussion) So I guess prank skank.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #345 on: August 27, 2020, 08:31:30 am »
Ha, probably! Although the movie is rated PG-13, so they went with "skank" than ho' (as if that's better, but that's a whole 'nother discussion) So I guess prank skank.

Skank:  :P  Makes me think of someone who never bathes.  :P  Or maybe has some of the hygiene problems I read about in my work.  :P

At least a ho might take a shower now and then.  :P  If she wants to be some high-class entertainment, anyway.

And what do we make of a skanky ho?  :(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #346 on: August 27, 2020, 09:41:59 am »
Skank:  :P  Makes me think of someone who never bathes.  :P  Or maybe has some of the hygiene problems I read about in my work.  :P

You might be thinking of skunk.  :laugh:  No, I agree, it has hygiene/appearance connotations.

I don't know what skank means. It's an ugly word. Uglier than ho', probably, but maybe the PG-13 rules don't allow references to whores, or require them to be called prostitutes or something.

I would have gone with slut, which in my day was the favored term in high school circles. It seems the least cringe-inducing.

I once saw a Friends episode in which Rachel, Jennifer Aniston's character, gets a visit from her sister, played by Christina Applegate. There's some kind of subterfuge going on that I can't remember -- somehow it involves the sister wanting to borrow an outfit of Rachel's that maybe isn't really hers or something. Anyway, the sister complains it looks slutty.

"Well, that's because I'm a slut," Rachel says calmly.

After that, I liked the word. Jennifer Aniston reappropriated it!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #347 on: August 30, 2020, 03:40:26 pm »
Hey everyone but especially superfan Paul, the other day I stumbled across a You Tube show that reunites actors from old shows and movies via Zoom and forces them to hold an awkward conversation. The one I happened to see was, of course, Ferris Bueller.

The actors came on one at a time in order of their prominence in the movie. So Matthew Broderick was first, and as always he grated slightly on my nerves. Though I kept hoping to see Sarah Jessica Parker (who also grates on my nerves) walk through in the background. Ferris' friend was still the coolest one -- in fact, way cooler now and  in the popular HBO series Succession.

I was glad to see the girlfriend is still cute and seemed fun, although I'd be surprised if she'd appeared in anything since turning 30 and became too old to play the beautiful ingenue nonentity. The characters who were middle-aged in the movie (the teacher, the parents) were now outright old. They didn't say but I think I heard the principal died. Frankly, it was depressing and not particularly entertaining once you pass the "wonder how they look now" point, so I bailed well before it was over. Hope I didn't miss Charlie Sheen!

The show is hosted by unfunny comedian Josh Gad, which will help as a search word if anyone's interested in googling it or finding it on YouTube.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #349 on: August 30, 2020, 08:24:26 pm »
Why all the hate for Ferris Bueller?

I highly recommend Heathers.

I've always liked Heathers, I thought it was really well done.

As for Ferris Bueller, I couldn't stand the characters.  I kept hoping for someone to come and just punch him in the face.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!