Author Topic: Corona - what does help you? Your fears, thoughts, everything  (Read 158158 times)

Online serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Corona - what does help you? Your fears, thoughts, everything
« Reply #690 on: December 19, 2021, 03:21:29 pm »
So something disturbing happened yesterday. First, I found out that the manager of my building plus one of the maintenance men have not been vaccinated. There's a staff of five, and I'm not sure what the vax status of the others is. Three of them had COVID about a week ago. One was still really sick, last I heard. Two of them hosted a holiday gathering last week. They were among the people who had COVID and now supposedly were testing negative, so they're probably safe. But still, building management should be required to get vaxxed.

But that's not the disturbing thing!  :o

I posted about this on Facebook and had several people scold me for attending the Christmas party. First was Clarissa, who I already know is way more cautious about things like that -- lots of things -- than I am. I don't think she shops in stores, for instance, or at least very very rarely. She and her husband like going out for drives, but when they pass a place where a lot of people bike or run -- not necessarily at that moment but in general -- they roll up their windows. So not an unexpected reaction from her.

Second was a high-school friend who's pretty happy-go-lucky and never judgmental. He said he and his wife have been staying home ever since his brother died ... of COVID! I didn't even realize his brother had died of COVID, so that gave me an opportunity to PM him my condolences. And his choice is understandable.

Third was a childhood friend, a homebody and self-described introvert, who goes out occasionally to the theater as long as she's sure everyone in the place is vaxxed. Fine.

But then came Beth, a high school friend. Beth is on an oxygen tank for a lung problem and lives with a 90-something mom who I think is also on oxygen. So sure, extra reason for caution. But she goes, "Katy, how could you do this? How could you put your friends at risk? Don't you read the headlines in your own paper?"

So what was infuriating besides her scoly tone was that the second-to-last time I attended a gathering was in late November at a brewery and I SAT NEXT TO BETH. WHO WAS THERE. BY HER OWN CHOICE. I told her I didn't really need a harsh scolding when many of the gatherings I've been to, not including the ones in my building, have been Beth's and my mutual friends, and at least sometimes she herself had been there. I named a couple of other occasions. Eventually she apologized.

I understand that if you want to be as cautious as possible, avoiding indoor gatherings is smart. And maybe people who do go are shortsighted. I can't really argue with the cautious people's reasoning. (Except to say that if I never left my apartment and saw other people I'd have a health problem of a different kind.)

But gatherings are extremely common here. My 79-yo stepmother is hosting a party and has a 98-yo husband. She's the last person you'd ever call reckless or careless. My union held a holiday gathering in a brewery a week ago (I didn't go, though not really because of COVID) and presumably all the attendees read the headlines because they are writers and editors (and photographers, designers, etc.) at the paper. I went to another thing on assignment for work a week ago in a brewery and chatted from two feet away with the cute mayor of Minneapolis. Granted, we were wearing masks and you had to show a vax card to get in, but still. I'm guessing he keeps up with the news.

The other thing is, all the people who scolded me live in houses and are married -- conditions that make it easier to avoid other people. The exception is Beth, who's not married, but she lives with her mom and sees other family members all the time.

Please share your thoughts candidly but please don't scold me or you'll have to scold thousands of other people.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #691 on: December 20, 2021, 05:06:48 am »
Yes, I've read Clarissa's comment over on FB. Not the others however.

I've also been scolded for attending/having small family gatherings indoors. I managed to shrug it of.
Two years into this pandemic, we all have to re-evaluate our personal choices, decisions and our own safety rules regarding Covid from time to time. The situation has changed a lot over the last year: in my wider family, we're all vaccintated and mostly boostered (for some it's too early since they qualified for vaccination late in the game).
Last year we cancelled our big, annual Christmas family gatherings, but this year we don't. We'll meet like always.

My view on things: when you're fully vaxxed, chances you still get Covid are much slimmer. And even if you do get it, you will probably have an easy case. There is a quantum of remaining risk, I know that, but I'm willing to take it. Live is not risk-free.
I might as well be in a vehicle accident on my way to those gatherings (god forbid, knock on wood and all that!), but that's also a remaining risk I'm willing to take.

My daughter works at a hospital, last week even in a ICU. She says from all the people with Covid in ICU, one is very old and has pre-existing conditions, so the vaccinations didn't take. All others are unvaccinated. And if you ask nurses, doctors, etc. they all tell the same story.

Re your friend Beth scolding you: sorry, but that's just hypocritical. She has no stance scolding you when she's doing exactly the same thing.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #692 on: December 20, 2021, 07:11:49 am »
I'm so frequently congested as it is that I wouldn't even think it was Covid unless I had other symptoms.

I'm the same way.  I tend to wake each morning feeling congested.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #693 on: December 20, 2021, 02:09:23 pm »
What really gets to me is how unvaccinated people are secretive about it. Their behavior reminds me of the way Trump supporters started off loud and proud but as the administration wore on they became silent and secretive. For people who interact with the public as part of their job, they should have some sort of vocal and visible warning so that people can decide whether or not to come near them. Like a big orange traffic cone on their head, for instance.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #694 on: December 21, 2021, 03:37:47 pm »
Like a big orange traffic cone on their head, for instance.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #695 on: December 25, 2021, 02:22:41 pm »
So much for my Christmas plans :'(

We met with hubby's family today. All of us are fully vaccinated, most of us already boostered. Still, we all took a Covid self-test this morning, just to be sure. All negative.
While being at the family gathering I got a call from my boss, telling me one of my coworkers has Covid. He does have flu-like symptons and he tested positive in one of those official, accurate tests (PCR test, dunno what you call them). I had direct contact with him on Thursday.

Tomorrow we had planned to meet with my relatives, but I will stay at home now. My aunt will be there, she's well over 80 and in fragile health. Not risking it, but I will miss my beloved relatives :'(

And as if that weren't enough, I have a flat tire on my car, not knowing where it comes from. I'm close to saying this is an effin' bad Christmas, but so far we're all healthy and I know I'm happy to have a large loving family, even if I can't see them tomorrow.
Still sucks.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #696 on: December 25, 2021, 04:48:50 pm »
 :'( >:(
Well, at least you got to celebrate with one side of the family. I hope you don't get that nasty thing yourself. Hope you can at least have a video chat with them.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #697 on: December 26, 2021, 01:21:02 pm »
 >:( :'(

I know exactly how you feel, my family went through this last year.  All of us separated, as we all tested positive on December 23rd.

It does suck now, but when the all clear is given, you'll be able to see them again.  It's not the same, but you will still have that option.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #698 on: December 27, 2021, 08:44:18 am »
This Christmas keeps getting worse :'(

Last night we found a swelling at my dog's mammary line. Went to the vet today: it's a tumor. We know nothing more than that for now, since the vet said we have to get rid of the swelling first, before he can see/do more.
Now we wait for the next 10 days while giving her antibiotics and other medication.

Next appointment will be on Jan. 6th. My son's big, final school exams start on January 7th. He has been taking this news very hard already, even if nothing is "too late" yet. God, I wouldn't know what to do or to say to him if we got bad news on Jan 6th. :'(

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #699 on: December 27, 2021, 11:05:57 am »
So sorry for your fucked up Xmas this year, Chrissi  :-*

You did the right thing to stay home, but of course it still sucks.
Hopefully you didn't catch it from your coworker, good thing you're triple vaxxed.

And your poor son, preparing for his final exams while your dog is sick  :(
If you do get bad news on the 6th, can you instead tell him that the vet still doesn't know any specifics?
I don't mean that lying is a good thing in general, but in this case it would be just to help him keep focused on the 7th.

Good luck to all of you  :-*

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre