Author Topic: The mettle of a man  (Read 31432 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: The mettle of a man
« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2008, 03:03:07 pm »
I think you should post it there, too, Chrissi.

I think you're right. Will do.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2008, 04:23:03 pm »
Hey Chrissi,

That's definitely interesting to realize how frequently the tire iron comes up in the story and it's even more interesting to realize exactly how tied that concept is to Ennis specifically.  I think the tire iron comes to symbolized Ennis's issues in general and I think having this violent/difficult symbol helps illustrate just how painful and difficult Ennis's issues (fears, repressions, etc.) are for him to overcome.

Poor Ennis. :(

But, back to the amount of space the tire iron takes up in the story... thinking about that, it's a tad surprising how infrequently it comes up in the movie.  I mean, it's dramatically placed in the Earl discussion and in Ennis's vision of Jack's "murder"... but I wonder if the tire iron as an object or symbol in and of itself comes through as strongly for a film viewer as it does for a reader of the story.

I also always think about the motel scene as a big issue that differentiates the film from the story.  The prominence of that scene is just so different in the two forms of BBM.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2008, 05:06:27 pm »
But, back to the amount of space the tire iron takes up in the story... thinking about that, it's a tad surprising how infrequently it comes up in the movie.  I mean, it's dramatically placed in the Earl discussion and in Ennis's vision of Jack's "murder"... but I wonder if the tire iron as an object or symbol in and of itself comes through as strongly for a film viewer as it does for a reader of the story.

Hm. I'm undecided. One one side, I'd say no, simply because the tire iron is only shown twice (well, actually it's only shown once and one time talked about). But on the other side, during these two occasions, the tire iron makes a huge impact on the viewer. Both are really shocking moments.

I also always think about the motel scene as a big issue that differentiates the film from the story.  The prominence of that scene is just so different in the two forms of BBM.

In her essay "Getting movied" Annie Proulx refers to exact this scene as an example of disagreements between Ang Lee and her:

"In the written story the motel scene after a four-year hiatus stood as central. During their few hours in the Motel Siesta, Jack's and Ennis's paths were irrevocably laid out. In the film that Ang Lee already had shaped in his mind, the emotional surge contained in that scene would be better shifted to a later point and melded with the men's painful last meeting. I didn't understand this until I saw the film in September 2005 and recognized the power of this timing."

The bolded part leaves me puzzled. Do you think we should open a new thread specifically about the motel scene and its differences in story and movie?

Offline Artiste

« Reply #63 on: January 08, 2008, 05:32:21 pm »
Yes!

Since, it is interesting!

Hugs!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2008, 06:03:28 pm »

Hm. I'm undecided. One one side, I'd say no, simply because the tire iron is only shown twice (well, actually it's only shown once and one time talked about). But on the other side, during these two occasions, the tire iron makes a huge impact on the viewer. Both are really shocking moments.
This is one aspect of the fascinating comparison of the tools that Lee likes to use compared to those of Proulx. Lee is very subtle, he substitutes things made of iron, like the iron skillet or the bronzed shoes on the chest outside of Jack's closet. In a very clever double entendre, he actually uses an iron...in the corner on an ironing board in Alma and Ennis's apartment!! What irony!! (groan, sorry I couldn't resist!)

In her essay "Getting movied" Annie Proulx refers to exact this scene as an example of disagreements between Ang Lee and her:

"In the written story the motel scene after a four-year hiatus stood as central. During their few hours in the Motel Siesta, Jack's and Ennis's paths were irrevocably laid out. In the film that Ang Lee already had shaped in his mind, the emotional surge contained in that scene would be better shifted to a later point and melded with the men's painful last meeting. I didn't understand this until I saw the film in September 2005 and recognized the power of this timing."

The bolded part leaves me puzzled. Do you think we should open a new thread specifically about the motel scene and its differences in story and movie?

Sure, great idea!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #65 on: January 08, 2008, 06:09:48 pm »
This is one aspect of the fascinating comparison of the tools that Lee likes to use compared to those of Proulx. Lee is very subtle, he substitutes things made of iron, like the iron skillet or the bronzed shoes on the chest outside of Jack's closet. In a very clever double entendre, he actually uses an iron...in the corner on an ironing board in Alma and Ennis's apartment!! What irony!! (groan, sorry I couldn't resist!)

OOooooooooooo brilliant Sister Mod!  I love this concept of substituting things made of metal/ iron in the film.  Awesome. 8)

Offline Artiste

« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2008, 11:35:46 pm »
Your comments are all interesting.

I figure that the two men (Ennis and jack) are both strong men, each in their way, alone and together too!!

Is that the mettle of a man to you all??

Hugs!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2008, 12:47:31 pm »

This is just my opinion of course, but I think some of the implements in camp and in the kitchens, etc. were chosen to echo the tire iron. For instance, in this photo, notice how the ax handle is actually coming out of Jack's head. And there's a sharp pointed instrument pointing directly at an <ahem> part of Jack. In other scenes, there is an ax or a saw on the ground pointed at Jack.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2008, 01:42:55 pm »
This is just my opinion of course, but I think some of the implements in camp and in the kitchens, etc. were chosen to echo the tire iron. For instance, in this photo, notice how the ax handle is actually coming out of Jack's head. And there's a sharp pointed instrument pointing directly at an <ahem> part of Jack. In other scenes, there is an ax or a saw on the ground pointed at Jack.

Hi Lee, I think this observation about the cooking utensils (and the ax, etc.) is really good.  Especially, since in the story... in Ennis's dream at the end a spoon transforms into a tire iron.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2008, 11:46:30 pm »
Thanks, friend! I forgot to mention that there is a knife, in its scabbard, pointed at Jack in the left foreground. It is out of focus. The more I stare at this picture, the more creeped out I get!! Notice how in the background there is the rump of a horse, a leather saddle, and some freshly killed meat of an elk. It's almost like one of those medeival paintings by Hieronymous Bosch (spelling??). Kind of like, from dust we are made and to dust we returneth.