Author Topic: The mettle of a man  (Read 31339 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: The mettle of a man
« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2008, 12:09:53 am »
Thanks, friend! I forgot to mention that there is a knife, in its scabbard, pointed at Jack in the left foreground. It is out of focus. The more I stare at this picture, the more creeped out I get!! Notice how in the background there is the rump of a horse, a leather saddle, and some freshly killed meat of an elk. It's almost like one of those medeival paintings by Hieronymous Bosch (spelling??). Kind of like, from dust we are made and to dust we returneth.

Yeah, I think you're definitely right.  All these details definitely seem to be either foreshadowing or perhaps indications about something to do with the thoughts/worries/issues for the two characters.  And, in this scene it's interesting because this is a very happy scene... one of their moments of happiness... perhaps something that we tend to think of as an "ideal" moment of happiness on Brokeback... and yet there's all this dangerous, ominous stuff surrounding them.  I think this idea of happiness always paired with fear or warning maybe comes up again and again in the film.

The amount of background detail (and details that seem highly significant) seen in this image, remind me of all the stuff in the background in the bar when Jack and Ennis first meet.  Of course behind Ennis in that scene, there's the big cow skull with the coiled rope and then further behind him is the dart board with all the darts pointing towards Ennis (as if they've come from Jack's direction).  And, Jack is essentially "sitting on a ray of sunshine."  I think the darts and the sunshine are all about Ennis beginning to fall for Jack (cupid's darts, etc.).  And, the skull and rope are perhaps sort of obviously about Ennis's fears/confusion/ complex issues, etc.

p.s. Hieronymus Bosch (c.1450-1516) was actually a Renaissance- era painter from the Netherlands... He was amazing and definitely a unique artist.  And, I can definitely see what you mean about of details being reminiscent of some of his compositions. Lots of links to museums that post images of his works from their collection can be found here: http://www.artcyclopedia.com/artists/bosch_hieronymus.html  This is actually an awesome website to know about for finding images and quick info about art/artists.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #71 on: June 22, 2008, 11:11:56 am »
I don't think we have talked about the hanger. The clothes hanger is a time-honored metaphor in film. Can you think of some examples? I can. I remember the hanger controversy in "The Graduate" where Mrs. Robinson asks Benjamin to hang up her dress and he replies, "wood or wire?" Then there is the infamous scene in "Mommie Dearest" where the daughter is beaten with a hanger by her mother (probably quite exagerated). But nowhere in my memory is the clothes hanger elevated to such depths of meaning as in Brokeback Mountain where, first, Annie Proulx uses the wire hanger to unlock the heart of Ennis Del Mar, though momentarily, after which it is "torqued back into its original position" and later, the immortal bloody shirts are crucified on a wire hanger on a nail in the closet of Ennis Del Mar, in his shrine to Jack, love, and the power of the mountain.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #72 on: October 09, 2008, 09:49:52 pm »
This past weekend I was thinking of this thread as I visited my friend Chuck's Wyoming cabin. There were 7 gates, all bound by barbed wire, on the way to his cabin, and it was my job to hop out of the truck and open them, closing them again securely after the truck passed through. I only snagged my hands one time, but the wound is a lovely reminder of the time I spent in the wilds of Wyoming.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #73 on: October 12, 2008, 06:41:39 pm »
Yesterday, I heard another 'metal' reference in the short story audio...The narrative talks about a 'slow corrosion' that begins to work between Ennis and Alma after the reunion.

Neat...I love this thread.

p.s. Hieronymus Bosch (c.1450-1516) was actually a Renaissance- era painter from the Netherlands... He was amazing and definitely a unique artist.  And, I can definitely see what you mean about of details being reminiscent of some of his compositions. Lots of links to museums that post images of his works from their collection can be found here: http://www.artcyclopedia.com/artists/bosch_hieronymus.html  This is actually an awesome website to know about for finding images and quick info about art/artists.

Thank you for the Hieronymus Bosch information, Amanda.  I am actually familiar with his work from a different source.  Michael Connelly, a mystery/thriller writer, has named one of his signature characters Hieronymus (Harry) Bosch.  Harry is a policeman for whom 'Everybody counts or nobody counts.'  It is Harry's mission to protect the innocent and right wrongs; he frequently finds himself amidst the worst evil and depravity of which mankind is capable.  (http://www.michaelconnelly.com/)

I certainly think that both the Earl and Rich flashback and Jack's death as seen by Ennis descend to a similar level of inhumanity that Bosch depicted.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Artiste

« Reply #74 on: October 12, 2008, 07:18:33 pm »
          I certainly think that both the Earl and Rich flashback and Jack's death as seen by Ennis descend to a similar level of inhumanity that Bosch depicted.

More please...

au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #75 on: March 18, 2009, 10:42:14 pm »
My friend who is a collector of BBM memorabilia was bemoaning the fact that he had misplaced the hanger on which his shirts had been delivered. It made me think of this thread, so I went in search. I found it three pages deep on the Open Forum. BUMP!

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #76 on: March 19, 2009, 02:38:08 am »
lmao

least you found it!
"I couldn't stand it no more so i fixed it"

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #77 on: March 19, 2009, 06:24:58 pm »
Well what a lovely time I have had on this thread, a real gem. Have to go and mull it all over and see if I have anything to contribute.

I love this bumping threads, it has drawn me back into BBM instead of just posting on blogs.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #78 on: March 23, 2009, 03:04:49 pm »
Thank you kindly, friend, and we look forward to any rusty or shiny bright metallic truths you might think of!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2009, 10:48:44 pm »
We've barely mentioned many of the metallic objects in this story...only a passing mention of the can opener, and nothing about the "sharp serrated knife" that Mrs. Twist was plying on an apple at the end.