Author Topic: Favorite Thanksgiving Dessert  (Read 7496 times)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Favorite Thanksgiving Dessert
« on: November 13, 2006, 05:51:47 pm »
When it's made well, there's nothing like a Southern-style pecan pie.  If it's done right, it's so rich when you bite into it you just about see stars.

Second to that for me would be pumpkin pie.  I like the traditional stuff, and I'm not much of a fruit pie fan.
No more beans!

moremojo

Re: Favorite Thanksgiving Dessert
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 06:23:22 pm »
I am too much of a chocoholic not to vote for the chocolate pie--though pumpkin pie is a tried and true classic.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 06:57:57 pm »
I am too much of a chocoholic not to vote for the chocolate pie--though pumpkin pie is a tried and true classic.

I'm actually making something this year called a "Chocolate Dream Pie" - I found the recipe in Real Simple magazine.  I'm always the only one who ever eats my pecan pie (unless my extended family is celebrating with us, and it's been a while since that was the case).

I'm just gonna try to keep it simple and roast a turkey, make homemade stuffing and homemade mashed potatoes (if only I had Jack here to peel them for me) and gravy from the turkey drippings, steam some corn, and whip up some cranberry sauce from another recipe I came across that's really easy.  Our friends we invited over are bringing a green bean casserole and the beer and I'm making that chocolate pie.  As it is, it's gonna take 3 hours for Will's mama to fix that one.
No more beans!

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 07:35:40 pm »
I have a terrific pumpkin pie recipe that calls for real pumpkin - it's from one of the Moosewood cookbooks and is just fabulous.  It's a real pain to make, but worth it once or twice a year. 

I'll probably still bake one, but these days it's usually just Mom and me, so I'm thinking Cracker Barrel - sounds lazy, I know, but that way I get more quality time with her - if she's feeling up for it and weather depending, we can get out in nature and just enjoy each other, not to mention much less work on my part.   ::)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 07:52:54 pm »
Blueberry pie.

Wild Maine blueberries. Don't fall for the flavorless domesticated varieties. Tiny little purple flavor bombs, grown in the thin acidic granite soil of coastal Maine... nothing like them. Nothing can replace them.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2006, 09:04:58 pm »
Way too many to pick just one.

On a recent episode of 'Barefoot Contessa' cooking show, she made a pumpkin/banana custard that looked to die for.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2006, 09:36:10 pm »
I will now let you all in on my pecan pie secret.  Be warned that your arteries may harden just from reading the ingredients.  Ed calls it "sugar and fat in all their various forms."  It's more of the former than the latter.

Anna Mae's (Killer) Bourbon Pecan Pie

1 deep-dish pie shell, thawed if frozen (I like Grandma's brand), or if you're a real hero, make your own (I don't know how to do that, so you're on your own, there)
1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
1 cup *dark* Karo corn syrup
1/2 cup salted butter, melted
1/4 cup Bourbon of your choosing (you can just forego the Bourbon if you don't want any alcohol in it)
3 large eggs, slightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup pecans, broken into very small pieces

Preheat oven to 350 F.  Mix the sugar, syrup, butter, Bourbon, vanilla and eggs together by hand or on low speed with a blender.  Pour into pie shell.  Sprinkle with the pecans.  Place the pie directly on the center rack and bake it for 50-60 minutes, until a butter knife inserted in the center of the pie comes out *almost* clean.  This is very important - if it comes out wet, let it go another few minutes.  If it comes out dry, you've already wrecked it.  It needs to be just barely discernibly - glistening.  How long you bake it is an art form.  It's almost better to underbake it so it ends up just a little bit messy than to overbake it and lose all the flavor.  Cool it on a pie rack if you can.  Refrigerate it after a half hour or so.  Really yummy with homemade whipped cream or Cool Whip.  You need something to smooth out its richness.  Anna Mae was my Mom, and this was the recipe she devised after years of experimentation with the basic how-to on the back of a Karo bottle.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 09:39:04 pm by ednbarby »
No more beans!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2006, 09:41:18 pm »
I voted for pumpkin because I couldn't figure out a way to vote for what is actually my favorite and annual Thanksgiving dessert: sweet-potato pie.

I make a great one, with fresh sweet potatoes and -- the secret ingredient -- whiskey. Jack and Ennis would love it!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2006, 09:43:24 pm »
I voted for pumpkin because I couldn't figure out a way to vote for what is actually my favorite and annual Thanksgiving dessert: sweet-potato pie.

I make a great one, with fresh sweet potatoes and -- the secret ingredient -- whiskey. Jack and Ennis would love it!

Ah, yes.  So few people appreciate the pure, unadulterated joy of whiskey in a pie.  Then there's my step-mother's Holiday Rum Cake.  I'll have to pass that one on at Christmas time.

No more beans!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2006, 12:01:47 am »
Had to go with pumpkin pie, here, as it's traditional.  My altogether favorite holiday pie, however, which we actually usually don't get till Christmas, is mince pie. Made with real mince meat--which is made with real meat.

Secret ingredient there, too, is a little whiskey--poured in through slits in the top crust, just before you heat the pie before serving it.

It helps to add a scoop of vanilla ice cream, too.

Though I would be mighty tempted to split that pecan pie with you, Barb. Pecan pie is good eatin'.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.