Author Topic: What Are You Doing for New Year's Eve?  (Read 278349 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: What Are You Doing for New Year's Eve?
« Reply #370 on: January 02, 2018, 01:51:14 pm »
January is like Monday on steroids.

:laugh: You are doubtlessly right, friend! I l like New Year's Day because it is quiet with no presents or feasting obligations. A lot of my friends/family are busy watching football or the Rose Bowl. I do neither. I have some rituals I like to do. The Scottish tradition is to clean house, pay debts, apologize to those you've wronged and generally pave the way for a clean start to the New Year. I try to get outside and enjoy nature. You might have seen the photo of the Wolf Moon rising that I posted elsewhere. I went to a small wildlife refuge near home that I've always wanted to visit. Most refuges near me are in lowlands, river valleys, etc. but this one was on some uplands and bluffs. It made for some great views.

The weather was in the 20s but felt colder because of high humidity. With gloves, hat, a scarf and a fleece jacket, I was not cold, but when I came back to my car, my face was stinging and I was very glad to get back to my cozy cottage and start a fire, having some hot cocoa. I was home by 6 pm, that's  another great thing about winter, long nights. After making a dinner of some leftover sweet potatoes and lamb, I read in my biography of George Washington, packed up a few Christmas ornaments, listened to some good music and petted my cat. It was heavenly!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #371 on: January 02, 2018, 06:21:15 pm »

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #372 on: January 03, 2018, 12:10:40 pm »
I'm trying to picture how Broadcast News would look today. OK, I can see Rachel McAdams, or maybe Ann Hathaway, playing the Holly Hunter role, and maybe Zac Ephron, or maybe one of the Hemsworths, as William Hurt. It could work!

But the fake news would have to be way more shocking than the shedding of a tiny insincere tear. Rachel McAdams would end the relationship after discovering that Zac Ephron planted a story about Hillary Clinton running a child sex ring out of a pizzeria.

With Hunter coming up for an Oscar nomination for her role in "The Big Sick" this year, there are a lot of comparisons to "Broadcast News" where she received her first Oscar nomination.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #373 on: January 06, 2018, 05:53:11 pm »
Here's Holly Hunter today, and William Hurt today.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #374 on: January 07, 2018, 03:55:04 pm »
As is so often the case, he appears to have aged more than she has. Appears being the key word.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #375 on: January 08, 2018, 07:35:46 pm »
you are right about that!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #376 on: January 01, 2019, 04:30:51 am »
My New Year's eve came together in an impromptu way. Friend Edelmar and I talked about getting together at his place but he had to work until mid-afternoon which meant that he didn't have time to plan or shop for dinner. While I, on the other hand, had absent-mindedly put together a pot roast just because I like to cook on snowy days. So, he volunteered to pick me and my pot roast up and transport us to his home and back again so I wouldn't have to drive among the snow and crazies on NYE. Then, we decided on a lark to go way down to SE Denver to pick up his roommate, who takes public transit to and from work, which takes 1.5 hours in good weather.

The 3 of us had a cozy evening with a wood burning fireplace and The Time Machine on the Blu-Ray projector. The icing on the cake was that, when he brought me back to my house, we encountered my renter who had been giving me a lot of trouble for the past two days, who was  very conciliatory and appreciative. Although I like to think I could have handled the situation by myself, it was so reassuring to have my friend standing beside me and supporting me!!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #377 on: January 01, 2019, 06:15:53 pm »
Great news, Lee!  Sounds like a good way to bring in the new year!!!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #378 on: January 01, 2019, 07:00:52 pm »

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #379 on: January 01, 2020, 01:22:43 pm »
Any Brokies still around here who still watch "Dinner for One" at New Years?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.