Author Topic: del Mar Painting by b73  (Read 127605 times)

Offline coffeecat33

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: del Mar Painting by b73
« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2006, 01:07:40 am »
Jake's thumb in his waistband and that wiry hair just Drives me Crazy!!!  :P

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2006, 04:28:50 am »
Jake's thumb in his waistband and that wiry hair just Drives me Crazy!!!  :P

Mmmmmm.....and me! I had to click it away just now, I was getting all hot and bothered!  :P

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2006, 04:35:25 pm »
I've been reading slowly and surely through all the flockled chapters, becoming a bigger fan of DMP Jack and Ennis for each new chapter I've read. Love the lighter tone of this, Jack's exuberance and high spirits, - the lunchbox pictures and the paint colour names. ;D  Love Scooter and Matt. And equally love the serious undertone and the more difficult themes and emotions. And the references to canon J&E.

I'm really happy that Maggie continues to write so steadily.

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2006, 06:24:47 pm »
Love the lighter tone of this, Jack's exuberance and high spirits, - the lunchbox pictures and the paint colour names. ;D  Love Scooter and Matt. And equally love the serious undertone and the more difficult themes and emotions. And the references to canon J&E.  I'm really happy that Maggie continues to write so steadily.

me too!  ;D

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2006, 07:26:09 pm »
me too!  ;D

me three  ;D

I've started to read her other stories. Read Lake Geneva all in one go the other day. It was so wonderful  :) So gorgeous. So sweet, SO Maggie. Really had me in tears a couple of times, but it has a wonderful ending  :) And I want to get started on Union Pacific, Signal Crossing and Catch the Westbound which are completed. They are supposed to be brilliant but really sad and heartwrenching  if I remember correctly  :( So I really have to be in the mood to start on those ones.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 08:01:51 pm by Bigheart »

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2006, 08:21:12 pm »
me three  ;D

I've started to read her other stories. Read Lake Geneva all in one go the other day. It was so wonderful  :) So gorgeous. So sweet, SO Maggie. Really had me in tears a couple of times, but it has a wonderful ending  :) And I want to get started on Union Pacific, Signal Crossing and Catch the Westbound which are completed. They are supposed to be brilliant but really sad and heartwrenching  if I remember correctly  :( So I really have to be in the mood to start on those ones.

June they are incredibly sad, but there are also moments of joy... I definitely think this one is worth the heart break, that series is my favorite of all of her writing (though for a happier ending, check out Portrait of a Farmer/Unseasonable Storm...)
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2006, 09:53:20 pm »
me three  ;D

I read and liked Lake Geneva.

I too have to 'prepare' myself before I read intense, sad stories like Union Pacific.  cc33

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2006, 10:20:13 pm »
I read and liked Lake Geneva.

I too have to 'prepare' myself before I read intense, sad stories like Union Pacific.  cc33

I know what you mean Leslie... and I was not prepared at all. I had no clue what this series was about, only knew that I liked Maggie's writing. I'll be honest, this one hurt in the same way the film did. I've never cried so hard at a fan fic...

Sorry, I don't mean to scare anyone away from this story. I think it is absolutely beautiful and is well worth the pain, but I also don't want anyone to go into it thinking it will end happily like some of us went into Mason and Dixon because we were told the ending was joyful.
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #68 on: December 20, 2006, 03:50:34 am »
I know what you mean Leslie... and I was not prepared at all. I had no clue what this series was about, only knew that I liked Maggie's writing. I'll be honest, this one hurt in the same way the film did. I've never cried so hard at a fan fic...

Sorry, I don't mean to scare anyone away from this story. I think it is absolutely beautiful and is well worth the pain, but I also don't want anyone to go into it thinking it will end happily like some of us went into Mason and Dixon because we were told the ending was joyful.

Oh God  :( I knew it was terribly sad so I am prepared but *this* sad........omg.... I know it's a favourite of many Maggie fans,  Helen's been telling me to read it too but I don't know......this kind of angst.... :(

one_of_one

« Reply #69 on: December 20, 2006, 08:56:37 am »
I thought the Union Pacific trilogy was just the most amazing story.  Yes, it had what you might say a sad ending...but, it wasn't sad like the film.  Ennis isn't left alone in a trailer-like existence for ever more., which softened the blow for me.

There are some parts of it, especially in Catch the Westbound, which have the most amazing prose you can imagine, it really is sublime.