Author Topic: Post your teenage crushes... don't be shy!  (Read 156127 times)

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Post your teenage crushes... don't be shy!
« Reply #300 on: April 10, 2007, 01:01:09 pm »
Finally!!!!!

IMAGINATION!!!!

By the way, up in Boulder Annie Proulx said she would not say anything at all because there was no actual proof but from empirical evidence she felt Butch and Sundance did more then rob banks  together.
"I couldn't stand it no more so i fixed it"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #301 on: April 10, 2007, 01:04:52 pm »
Finally!!!!!

IMAGINATION!!!!

By the way, up in Boulder Annie Proulx said she would not say anything at all because there was no actual proof but from empirical evidence she felt Butch and Sundance did more then rob banks  together.

HA! I always suspected Etta was a beard. ...  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #302 on: April 10, 2007, 01:10:20 pm »
Finally!!!!!

IMAGINATION!!!!

Oh, absolutely. I just re-watched the movie a few weeks ago and it would be so satisfying to see them in a tent scene here, or a cabin scene there, sans Etta.

And now the scientist in me needs to speak. Wouldn't empirical evidence be considered proof? Maybe she meant circumstantial evidence?

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #303 on: April 10, 2007, 02:06:05 pm »
Yes.

Thankfully the scientist in you interacted with the douchebag in me.

The word is CIRCUMSTANTIAL.
"I couldn't stand it no more so i fixed it"

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #304 on: June 06, 2007, 01:23:07 pm »
 ;)
Ringo Starr
Davy Jones
Matt Dillon (James Arnaz)
Paul Newman and Robert Redford (after I saw them in "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid")
The Cartwright brothers (from Bonanza) My favorite changed according to the episode/situation.
Bobby Sherman (from "Here Come the Brides")

;)
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #305 on: June 06, 2007, 01:40:24 pm »
And now the scientist in me needs to speak. Wouldn't empirical evidence be considered proof? Maybe she meant circumstantial evidence?

Though maybe she meant there was some empirical evidence to suggest it, just not enough to actually prove it.

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #306 on: June 06, 2007, 01:53:20 pm »
Though maybe she meant there was some empirical evidence to suggest it, just not enough to actually prove it.

Then it is circumstantial. It cannot be empirical. As far as I am concerned
a piece of evidence that suggest something but do not actually prove it is by definition circumstantial evidence.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #307 on: June 06, 2007, 02:36:07 pm »
Then it is circumstantial. It cannot be empirical. As far as I am concerned
a piece of evidence that suggest something but do not actually prove it is by definition circumstantial evidence.

No, the two terms mean slightly different things. Circumstantial evidence isn't directly connected to the conclusion. For example, if a husband takes out big a life insurance policy on his wife, then shortly after that she is murdered, we might infer that the husband committed the crime -- circumstantial evidence -- but the two events aren't directly related. Empirical evidence is directly related to the conclusion, is scientific and measurable, but may not in and of itself be enough to support the conclusion. If a neighbor, peering through windows, says she saw the husband kill the wife, that is empirical evidence. If the wife's blood is on the husband's shirt, that is empirical evidence. But neither one in and of itself necessarily proves  the husband did it. The neighbor might be mistaken, the blood might have gotten there when the husband cradled his dying wife.

Most scientific experiments are designed to be empirical. If empirical evidence were the same as proof, it would make scientists' jobs a lot easier; they'd only have to do any given experiment once. Usually an experiment only gets them a little closer to the conclusion. Take things like global warming or evolution. There's tons of empirical evidence supporting both -- enough to leave little doubt in most scientists' minds of their existence -- but it is made up of lots of little empirical observations, none of which in and of themselves proves the conclusion. And some argue the evidence still falls short of proof.

In the case of Butch and Sundance, the circumstantial evidence might be that they slept in the same tent. Empirical evidence could be somebody watching them through binoculars.

Here are some definitions from the web:

circumstantial evidence
n. Evidence not bearing directly on the fact in dispute but on various attendant circumstances from which the judge or jury might infer the occurrence of the fact in dispute. For example, from the evidence that a person was seen running away from the scene of a crime, a judge or jury may infer that the person committed the crime.

em·pir·i·cal  (m-pîr-kl)
adj.
1.a. Relying on or derived from observation or experiment: empirical results that supported the hypothesis.
b. Verifiable or provable by means of observation or experiment: empirical laws.
2. Guided by practical experience and not theory, especially in medicine.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #308 on: June 09, 2007, 05:43:25 am »
No, the two terms mean slightly different things. Circumstantial evidence isn't directly connected to the conclusion. For example, if a husband takes out big a life insurance policy on his wife, then shortly after that she is murdered, we might infer that the husband committed the crime -- circumstantial evidence -- but the two events aren't directly related. Empirical evidence is directly related to the conclusion, is scientific and measurable, but may not in and of itself be enough to support the conclusion. If a neighbor, peering through windows, says she saw the husband kill the wife, that is empirical evidence. If the wife's blood is on the husband's shirt, that is empirical evidence. But neither one in and of itself necessarily proves  the husband did it. The neighbor might be mistaken, the blood might have gotten there when the husband cradled his dying wife.

Most scientific experiments are designed to be empirical. If empirical evidence were the same as proof, it would make scientists' jobs a lot easier; they'd only have to do any given experiment once. Usually an experiment only gets them a little closer to the conclusion. Take things like global warming or evolution. There's tons of empirical evidence supporting both -- enough to leave little doubt in most scientists' minds of their existence -- but it is made up of lots of little empirical observations, none of which in and of themselves proves the conclusion. And some argue the evidence still falls short of proof.

In the case of Butch and Sundance, the circumstantial evidence might be that they slept in the same tent. Empirical evidence could be somebody watching them through binoculars.

Here are some definitions from the web:

circumstantial evidence
n. Evidence not bearing directly on the fact in dispute but on various attendant circumstances from which the judge or jury might infer the occurrence of the fact in dispute. For example, from the evidence that a person was seen running away from the scene of a crime, a judge or jury may infer that the person committed the crime.

em·pir·i·cal  (m-pîr-kl)
adj.
1.a. Relying on or derived from observation or experiment: empirical results that supported the hypothesis.
b. Verifiable or provable by means of observation or experiment: empirical laws.
2. Guided by practical experience and not theory, especially in medicine.

Lemme guess - going back to the original topic - your teenage crush was Einstein, har har.  :)  (Remember, that was just a guess - there was no empirical evidence of that.)

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #309 on: June 09, 2007, 05:44:50 am »
Wait a minute - that pronunciation guide has 'empirical' being pronounced with only three syllables.  And yes, my teenage crush WAS Noah Webster.

:)  And there IS empirkle evidence of that: me saying it.