Author Topic: The Parkway VS. The Bridge  (Read 2480 times)

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
The Parkway VS. The Bridge
« on: April 08, 2006, 02:32:27 pm »
So, last night I did a BBM marathon a la Rontrigger.  (Although I only made it to 2 theatres.  He’s still the winner!)

First I started at THE PARKWAY THEATRE in Oakland.  This is a funky dive theatre with couches and tables and director chars and bar stools, etc.  They serve beer and wine, and have a full menu, but most people order the Pizza!  It’s really a fun experience.  When I lived in Oakland I went here quite a few times.  (I’ll admit the last movie I had seen here was – hmm, do I dare say its name.)  And the downstairs theatre has a HUGE screen!

The traffic on 880 was horrible.  I thought I wasn’t going to make the show (it started at 6:15, and I left SJ at 4:30).  When I hit another back up in San Leandro, I just got off the freeway and took International Blvd (E 14th) up into Oakland.  Uggh, those traffic lights, but I think I got there faster than the freeway.

Parked at 6:12 and ran inside.  I could see inside the pre-show was on.  Got my pitcher of beer and entered the auditorium just as the Focus Logo came on.  It was half full, and no-one was sitting in the front couches!  I red-lined it to the front couches and sat down.  Then I noticed why no one was sitting there.  The air system was blowing right on those front seats.  We’ll call this the “Cinewind”.  I didn’t care, I wanted to sit in the couch in the front right in front of the screen.  While they were going up the mountain, the Cinewind was turned off.

The sound was good and the screen was HUGE!  It’s definitely JACK that says “GIVE ‘EM HELL”.  It was clearly audible at the Parkway!  The crowd was AWESOME.  Most in there had never seen it before.  There were three girls in the couch behind me, but they whispered!  Thank you for being courteous!  A couple was sitting in the other couch behind me.  I enjoyed both of their reactions (the girls and the couple).

The girls all went ‘ooooh’ when Ennis took off his pants to wash.  (I thought to myself, oh just wait girls…).  The crowd laughed and cried at all the right places!  They roared and cheered at the Thanksgiving scene.  Of course by this time everyone was drunk on the beer!  This was just like watching it when it first opened, in all those crowded theatres we were in.  Ya’ll remember that?  This brought back all those memories.  I also enjoyed stretching out laying on the couch half way through the movie, kinda like Jack lying down on the Mountain after the first tent night.  I LOVED THIS EXPERIENCE AT THE PARKWAY.  I’m so glad I went.

After that I had dinner at a funky place next door with live Jazz.  Good food!  Got in the car and headed over to The City to the Bridge Theatre for the 10:00pm show.  Got there at 9:45 and the place was EMPTY.  I chatted with the ticket girl and she said they only got 14 people for the 7:00 show.  I think we reached about that same number for the 10pm show.

The winner for the smallest screen (in comparison to the large theatre) and the most annoying EXIT sign light in San Francisco is The Bridge Theatre!  Although I had just been spoiled by the large screen at the Parkway.  Crowd had obviously all seen it before.  No reactions, no nothing (like we had at the Embarcadero Thursday.)  Again, I guess I had just been spoiled by the Parkway.  The sound was nice and loud though!  During the Twist House scene it started raining really hard, and you could hear it hitting the roof of the theatre.  I admit, I was so tired I actually kinda started to fall asleep.  And I had an hour drive back to SJ too.  I made it safe though.  Rain was a bitch to drive in though.

So there you have it.  And if I didn’t have plans tonight or tomorrow night I’d be back at the Parkway again!  I may go Monday and Wednesday.  Although Monday is bring your baby night.  But I might just deal with it.  The large screen (and the beer) is worth it!

Here’s the Parkway’s website:  http://www.picturepubpizza.com/

And here’s a picture of the Bridge Theatre last night:

« Last Edit: April 08, 2006, 03:57:33 pm by sfericsf »

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
Re: The Parkway VS. The Bridge
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2006, 02:46:13 pm »
Here's a picture of the auditorium at the parkway I found on their website:

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 03:12:22 am »
Went to the Parkway again tonight.  Will be going back on Wednesday night too!   :)

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 03:35:51 am »
Awesome! Sounds like fun  :)

Offline ptannen

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 09:08:32 pm »
Went to the Parkway again tonight.  Will be going back on Wednesday night too!   :)

Eric -
Well, if it's still at the Parkway after Thursday night & you want company, let me know.

Pete
Is there anything interesting up there in heaven?

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 09:17:09 pm »
You are just trying to make me jealous hunh?

Heathen