Author Topic: You think Lureen Newsome went by Lureen Twist? Never  (Read 4371 times)

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
You think Lureen Newsome went by Lureen Twist? Never
« on: December 12, 2006, 03:05:43 pm »
thought about calling her Mrs. Twist and she's never called that during the movie. Am I right.  I know she wears the pants in the relationship as Jack is so easy going. But women back then never kept their maiden name, right. ???

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: You think Lureen Newsome went by Lureen Twist? Never
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 04:56:09 pm »
I'm sure she had Twist's name, but to herself, she was always Newsome...

Offline Toast

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 06:35:21 pm »
Jack and Lureen married in the 60's.  Women keeping their maiden names back then were much more rare than today.

I think Lureen would have been willing to use the name Twist.  One of her first statement to Jack indicates no great respect for her father:  "My daddy's the hurry. Expects me home with the car by midnight."

I think Jack would have exptected her to use his name:
Jack described her as "a cute little old Texas girl down in Childress -- Lureen."

The screenplay states that "The TWISTS and the MALONES are at a table near the dance floor."  (At the Childress benefit.)

I think her reaction (silent but meaningful) when Jack told the old son-of-a-bitch to sit down shows her "respect" was more for Jack than L.D.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 04:31:04 am »
thought about calling her Mrs. Twist and she's never called that during the movie. Am I right.  I know she wears the pants in the relationship as Jack is so easy going. But women back then never kept their maiden name, right. ???

This is a tough call for me.  On one hand, I agree that because of her career, her domineering father, the family business, Lureen was always more Newsome than Twist.  But she likes Jack (rolling her eyes at Jack indulgently when he's tossed the car keys to go fetch the formula) and supports him and seems proud when he stands up for himself (Thanksgiving scene).  Because of the time period, she would have likely had the Twist name legally.  But living in Childress, she would have always been thought of as 'Lureen Newsome, Daddy sells farm equipment...'
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006, 01:01:42 pm »
Yep Lynn, that's how I see it. 

Jack Twist would be known as "the man who married Lureen Newsom" or "that's Lureen Newsom's husband."   He'd always  be considered an outsider in a small town like Childress. Also, the Newsoms got big money whereas he was just a piss ant who rode the bulls for a living before getting married to Lureen.   No doubt, I bet she never set foot in Lightning Flat to meet Jack's folks nor cares to.

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2006, 02:04:38 pm »
No doubt, I bet she never set foot in Lightning Flat to meet Jack's folks nor cares to.

What?! How could she not want to meet Jack's charming daddy and spend some time in that cheerful house?!  ;)

I'm one of those who considers Lureen a pretty good wife. I do think she took her husband's name (not that that's a sign of good-wifeyness; I didn't), because everybody but movie stars did, back then. I also think she tended to side with Jack in conflicts with L.D.; it's just that, until that Thanksgiving showdown, L.D. was pretty domineering and she didn't stand up to him as much as she might have.

I blame most of the problems in their marriage on Jack -- though I sympathize with his reasons, totally.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2006, 09:07:29 pm »
No doubt, I bet she never set foot in Lightning Flat to meet Jack's folks nor cares to.

I think you're right on-spot here, KD.  Remember Ennis' phone call with Lureen?  I'm sure I don't have the dialogue exactly correct, but when Ennis asks if Jack's buried down there (Childress), Lureen tells him that 'half his ashes was sent up to his folks.'  If she'd had any kind of relationship with Jack's parents, those ashes would have been personally delivered, especially considering her means. IMO.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Bucky

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2006, 04:16:02 am »
I really doubt that Lureen ever set foot in Lightening Flat, Wyoming.  I really doubt that Jack would want to take her there.  Not only were his folks living in poverty but Jack's father was not exactly "a barrell of laughs."

Offline insane-romantic

• Jr. Ranch Hand
    • My Myspace
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2006, 03:12:00 pm »
Well, his father wasn't a "barell of laughs" as you say it, but Jack obiviously respected him (was a rodeo like him, called him "daddy") and he and Lureen were married for quite a while, at least 16 years I would say, so she must have met his parents somewhere along the line.

As for the name thing, I think she would have been Lureen Twist, although it does sound funny
I saw you were sick and tired of my wrong turns.
If you only knew the way I feel,
I'd really love to tell you,
But I could never seem to say
The things I needed to.
On a day like today
No other words would do.

Keane: On A Day Like Today

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2006, 02:33:03 am »

Lureen is strong and goes for what she wants.  Jack is easygoing and willing to put up with other people's $#*&.  That doesn't mean she "wears the pants in the family."