Author Topic: Solstice Songs anyone??  (Read 13978 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: Solstice Songs anyone??
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2006, 10:55:33 pm »
Hi Clarissa,

Yes, today is indeed a glorious high-summer day here. Perfect "beach weather," as we say. Days don't get much better than  this - crystal clear aquamarine sky, a few fluffy white clouds, glorious sunshine, approx 23C (75F)  ;D

Ideal weather for a picnic or day at the beach. And yes, just right for wearing shorts, a singlet and thongs!  :-\

Don't blush! (LOL)  In Australia, "thongs" are what we call the rubber, flip-flop footwear that's so common here  :laugh:  Everyone from age 1-100 has at least one "pair of thongs."

I believe Heath and Michelle are in Oz at present and are, no doubt, wearing just this kinda "clobber" (apparel!)  :o

I read in the paper that they were attending the wedding of Heath's father in Perth, Heath's home town. From the pics I saw in the media, they donned their "glad-rags" (formal attire!) and didn't wear singlets and thongs to the wedding! Hee-hee! LOL!   ::) 

Kerry 

Gah, sounds like the kind of weather we're still having in Texas.  Up until this week, we were all in shorts and short sleeves.

Didn't Heath stun his American audience into dead silence once when some morning show personality asked him what he did for Xmas in Australia?  He replied something that was highly suggestive, such as he and his mates putting on thongs, grabbing weiners and something else.

The studio audience went dead silent and they quickly cut to a commercial where Heath had to do a lot of explaining.  :D :D :D

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2006, 06:30:26 am »
Didn't Heath stun his American audience into dead silence once when some morning show personality asked him what he did for Xmas in Australia?  He replied something that was highly suggestive, such as he and his mates putting on thongs, grabbing weiners and something else.

Singlets are usually (though, not always) worn as under-garments (by men), and are most often white. They are sometimes worn as outer-garments by blue-collar workers and are then mostly navy-blue in colour. They have enjoyed a resurgence in popularity by young inner-urban trendoids recently, who have buff gym-toned bodies to show-off, and are then in trendy pastel colours such as watermelon, lime and primrose   ::) 

Heath wore a traditional Aussie singlet in Brokeback Mountain, in the bedroom scene with Alma, where she tries to convince him to move into the flat above the laundry (he co-ordinated the singlet with cute pyjama pants - LOL). "Weiner" is a word not in common usage in Australia, though we know what they are from American television and movies   ;D 
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Dagi

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2007, 06:27:47 am »
In Wicca, as part of Yule celebrations, this is traditionally chanted whilst gazing into the cauldron, prior to igniting it. More an incantation than a song, I guess:

I sorrow not, though the world is wrapped in sleep.
I sorrow not, though the icy winds blast.
I sorrow not, though the snow falls hard and deep.
I sorrow not; this too shall soon be past.

Kerry  8)

Kerry, thank you so much for this one. It´s only November and we already have snow here in South Germany.

But I might as well need these lines (and silently chant them) in bad times. So, thank you!

Dagi

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2007, 08:58:14 am »
Kerry, thank you so much for this one. It´s only November and we already have snow here in South Germany.

But I might as well need these lines (and silently chant them) in bad times. So, thank you!

Dagi

Sounds like you have a looooooong winter ahead of you, Dagi!  :o

The Yule season is very different here in Australia, where I live. Bright sunshine, picnics, swimming and outdoor summer activities are the norm here, at this time of year.  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2007, 01:53:35 pm »
Sounds like you have a looooooong winter ahead of you, Dagi!  :o

The Yule season is very different here in Australia, where I live. Bright sunshine, picnics, swimming and outdoor summer activities are the norm here, at this time of year.  :D

What was that quote from Heath about Christmastime back in his homeland of Australia - "We're all out in our singlets and thongs with our wieners in our hands."  Something like that.  Does anyone remember the actual quote?  It was quite a hit with the Americans here.  :laugh:

Dagi

« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2007, 01:54:18 pm »
Sounds like you have a looooooong winter ahead of you, Dagi!  Shocked

The Yule season is very different here in Australia, where I live. Bright sunshine, picnics, swimming and outdoor summer activities are the norm here, at this time of year.

I don´t envy you, nope.  ;D I love winter....but I could do with a single month of it, that would be enough. ::)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2007, 07:30:16 am »

What was that quote from Heath about Christmastime back in his homeland of Australia - "We're all out in our singlets and thongs with our wieners in our hands."  Something like that.  Does anyone remember the actual quote?  It was quite a hit with the Americans here.  :laugh:

I think Heath was being interviewed on one of the American chat shows, if I remember correctly, Clarissa.

I remember thinking at the time that Heath was being deliberately provocative and trying to shock the audience (in a cheeky, cute kinda way haha), 'cause he would have known full well that what an American calls a thong (brief underwear) is completely different in Oz, where it's footwear! And the word "wiener" is totally unknown in Australia, but I believe it has a certain double meaning in the USA?  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2007, 07:39:22 am »
I don´t envy you, nope.  ;D I love winter....but I could do with a single month of it, that would be enough. ::)

I too love the winter, Dagi. I actually prefer it to the summer. However, what we call winter here in Australia, is probably a very mild, lesser version of a European winter. For example, it never snows in Sydney, where I live. I've only seen snow once or twice in my life, and that was when I was on holiday in the Snowy Mountains, approximately 6 hours drive south of Sydney.

I love storms, hail, rain, thunder and lightning. I love being safe and warm inside while a fierce storm rages outside.  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Dagi

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2007, 09:02:44 am »
Yeah, nothing better but sitting with a mug of hot chocolate in front of a fire while it's snowing outside! And after this extrovert summer time with no clothes on and being outdoors all the time I really need time for introspection and quietness.

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2007, 04:43:26 pm »
I think Heath was being interviewed on one of the American chat shows, if I remember correctly, Clarissa.

I remember thinking at the time that Heath was being deliberately provocative and trying to shock the audience (in a cheeky, cute kinda way haha), 'cause he would have known full well that what an American calls a thong (brief underwear) is completely different in Oz, where it's footwear! And the word "wiener" is totally unknown in Australia, but I believe it has a certain double meaning in the USA?  :D

We do actually call these thongs (or flip flops):

That Heathie.  :)