Author Topic: OT: Getting to know us (more)! - One RANDOM thing about you!  (Read 23784 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: OT: Getting to know us (more)! - One RANDOM thing about you!
« Reply #80 on: April 14, 2006, 05:32:44 pm »
Hi Isabelle,

I don't know, you may be right.  I think some version of Buddhism states that just because one life is shitty, that's because you're there to learn something or master something, so the next life may be an improvement.  Just because one person was abusive to you in this life, may not mean they'll be abusiive to you in the next.

Usually the comments I hear when someone has treated me or someone badly is that 'You must have done something bad to them in a previous life' which, of course, is not reassuring.

As for anarchism, most of the stuff I've read about them follows these definitions:

#  The theory or doctrine that all forms of government are oppressive and undesirable and should be abolished.
# Active resistance and terrorism against the state, as used by some anarchists.
# Rejection of all forms of coercive control and authority

Which of course means that anarchists don't believe in democracy, they want to overthrow the state no matter what it is, reject teaching institutions of all kinds (political/secular/religious), and believe that violence is perfectly justifiiable in pursuing their causes, etc., etc.

Like I said, not very nice people.

Offline DeeDee

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #81 on: April 14, 2006, 06:15:22 pm »
Screeeeeeching back to the original thread:

Before I knew I was gay, I had a crush on Halley Mills.

Then, when I knew I was gay, I had a crush on Dick Cavett; then I had a crush on James Caan in The Godfather, then....

You are too funny.. but I gotta tell you, I still have a crush on James Caan, but  Dick Cavett???
In America sex is an obsession.  In other parts of the world it is a fact.

Marlene Dietrich

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #82 on: April 14, 2006, 06:25:55 pm »
Oooo?  are we talking crushes now?

Going back a few years, I had a crush on a young Robert Redford from the Great Gatsby!  Oh to have been the Daisy he longed for. 

I saw Meet Joe Black a few times to see Brad Pitt.  That love scene up by the pool was very steamy indeed!

::)

Offline DeeDee

« Reply #83 on: April 14, 2006, 07:31:06 pm »
All I want for Christmas..
In America sex is an obsession.  In other parts of the world it is a fact.

Marlene Dietrich

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #84 on: April 14, 2006, 08:39:28 pm »
My father (a Jew) became a pacifist right at the beginning of World War II, and without preaching, or even talking much about it, passed this belief down to both his children, his grandchildren, and his grea-grandchildren. (I'm in there somewhere). A pacifist believs that war is such a dumb way opf settling dfisputes, he doesn't want to have anything to do with it. OR any othert kind of killing of human beings. (Even legally, by the state).

"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #85 on: April 17, 2006, 01:19:10 am »
Something random about me:

I can play the euphonium and do so frequently in my small town Bavarian brass orchestra (we have funny Robin-Hoodesque uniforms);

8)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2006, 02:16:29 am by pipedream »