Author Topic: Would you have lasted 20 years?  (Read 14151 times)

Offline mg501

• Jr. Ranch Hand
Would you have lasted 20 years?
« on: April 12, 2006, 12:05:20 pm »
Every time I watch BBM the one question in the back of my mind is whether I would have hung in for 20 years like Jack did. I'm not saying that Ennis was doing anything wrong. I completely understand what he was struggling with. The scene where he is dry heaving and punching the wall says it all.
I just keep thinking, though, how many times Jack put himself out there for Ennis and how many times Ennis pulled away or just didn't reciprocate. Jack said to Ennis, "Tell ya what, the truth is... sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it." All Ennis did was look down. He said nothing in response. He didn't even lean over and hug Jack. At their reunion at Ennis' apartment the audience can clearly see the intensity of their passion. It must have been enough for Jack to hold on to hope all those years.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 07:07:47 pm by mg501 »

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Would you have lasted 20 years?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006, 12:35:41 pm »
I could have.  Had I not met my husband when I did after "the one that got away" and I broke up and had I just settled for someone I didn't love for money, I absolutely could have and would have.  Thing is, I love my husband, and so after three years of a similar struggle (but on a lesser level, of course, since we're both straight and didn't have the social bullshit keeping us apart - just his need to prove to himself there wasn't a better offer pending somewhere) I was able to give up the ghost.  But not without a lot of heartache.  I'm still not over him completely, nearly 20 years later, and I'd be able to pick his voice out of a crowd in a heartbeat if he was ever within earshot again even though I've neither seen nor spoken to him in about 15 years.
No more beans!

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006, 01:58:27 pm »
Oh, I hung in for 23 years. Lived my life at the same time but none the less waited for my Ennis for that long. I finally let it go but now with the movie always on my mind, and an emotional voice mail message from him that someone erased before I heard it, I find myself calling again. Oh no! Luckily he never picks up his phone and I never leave a message  ::)

Heathen

moremojo

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 04:07:46 pm »
I think I could have hung on if I had been in love as much as Jack obviously was. This kind of soul-searing, life-changing love doesn't come around too often in the course of our time here on earth, and is extremely precious when found. It might be necessary to let go at some point, for some reason, but that decision would not be one to be taken lightly.

In fact, I don't know that I'll ever be able to let Ennis and Jack go. I have fallen hard for these two beautiful characters, and I may be looking at a lifetime colored by my complex feelings regarding them. Amazing, isn't it, that a story and film can do that to a person?

Scott
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 06:14:47 pm by moremojo »

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2006, 04:26:55 pm »
In fact, I don't know that I'll ever be able to let Ennis and Jack go. I have fallen hard for these two beautiful characters, and I may be looking at a lifetime colored by my complex feelings regarding them. Amazing, isn't it, that a story and film can do that to a person?

I'm with you, Scott.  I'm fairly certain I'll never get over these two.  Only difference is that in their case, I don't want to.
No more beans!

Offline mg501

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2006, 06:51:19 pm »
"In fact, I don't know that I'll ever be able to let Ennis and Jack go."

I have to add my "ditto" on that. I have never felt as attached to two characters from a movie as I do with Jack and Ennis.

Offline bbm_stitchbuffyfan

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Ennis and Jack are Forever
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2006, 09:41:00 pm »
Sorry for the redundancy but I'm right there with you guys. It's frightening how much I care about Jack and Ennis; I care about them as if they're my blood-kin. I never want to get over them either; that's one of the scarier parts...

Jack and Ennis forever...
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now
We missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

Offline DeeDee

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2006, 10:31:11 pm »
I'm on board with all you people.  These guys have been on my mind for almost 4 months now and it seemed to breathe new life into me.
I know they're fictional, but somewhere out in real life there are real Jacks and Ennis' and I think that's the part I don't want to let go of.
In America sex is an obsession.  In other parts of the world it is a fact.

Marlene Dietrich

Offline Kea

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • "The heart has reasons that reason cannot know." -
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2006, 11:45:47 pm »
I feel about them the same way.....they are too real for me.....and I wont let them go and thankfully they dont seem to want to leave either...

I would have lasted the twenty years.....when I love someone...my staying power if remarkable....but it would have wounded me waiting around all these years....

but you cant walk away from your heart.....can you??

how do you live after that?

hugs
Kea
"Within you I lose myself
Without you I find myself
Wanting to be lost again."
-Unknown

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2006, 11:55:14 pm »
Yeah, this is some crazy love! Ennis and Jack are so real-it used to freak me out a bit but they were real for Annie Proulx-and she created them! It took months for her quit them and, I suspect at some point, I'll be able to quit them too but until then I am gonna just wallow in my love.

I've taken to writing fan fic-bringing Jack back to life and then being mad at myself cuz he's not supposed to be alive-it's just ridiculous when you think about it!

O0

Heathen