Author Topic: The Bar Scene with Jack and Ennis  (Read 14471 times)

Offline jakefan

• Jr. Ranch Hand
The Bar Scene with Jack and Ennis
« on: January 15, 2007, 01:04:51 pm »
After watching the movie over twenty times, I still can't figure something out.  Go figure  :).  I apologize in advance if this has been asked before (and if it has, please point me in the right direction), but I was wondering about the scene with Jack and Ennis right after they have introduced themselves to each other.  Why does Ennis walk behind Jack on the way to the bar?  I don't understand why he is doing that and why would Jack let him walk behind him.  I know Ennis is not very socialable and he's a loner, but still why not walk beside him.  I would like to hear what you guys think.

Scott6373

Re: The Bar Scene with Jack and Ennis
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 01:25:05 pm »
It's fairly characteristic of each man's personality.  Jack was the dreamer, the adventurer, and Ennis was the withdrawn, frightened and easily intimidated one.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 01:41:30 pm »
Well, Jack is leading the way--as he does when he takes the initiative that first time in the tent.

Mundanely, maybe it just filmed better that way. We can see both of them, whereas if they had been walking side by side we couldn't have--not the way the sequence was shot.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 01:50:18 pm »
Mundanely, maybe it just filmed better that way. We can see both of them, whereas if they had been walking side by side we couldn't have--not the way the sequence was shot.

And it makes such a great sequence. I just love to watch them walking so synchronously.

Offline jakefan

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 06:51:40 pm »
I never thought of it that way.  I just thought of something: maybe it was just another way of showing us that Jack is a step ahead of Ennis.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 07:17:38 pm »
maybe it was just another way of showing us that Jack is a step ahead of Ennis.

Good observation! 

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 07:18:34 pm »
Jack is a step ahead of Ennis.

Nice way of putting it! I like that!  :D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007, 07:19:48 pm »
Maybe it could also be interpreted literally as Ennis keeping his distance.  Simple as that.  He just met Jack, doesn't trust him, not sure how to handle him and prefers to watch him from a distance - keeping Jack outside his comfort zone.  As they proceed to sit in the bar, when Jack starts going off about Aguirre and the lightning-struck sheep, Ennis makes a face, unable to hide his discomfort. 

And like Jeff said, it films great!  ;)

squashcourt

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2007, 08:47:24 pm »
After watching the movie over twenty times, I still can't figure something out.  Go figure  :).  I apologize in advance if this has been asked before (and if it has, please point me in the right direction), but I was wondering about the scene with Jack and Ennis right after they have introduced themselves to each other.  Why does Ennis walk behind Jack on the way to the bar?  I don't understand why he is doing that and why would Jack let him walk behind him.  I know Ennis is not very socialable and he's a loner, but still why not walk beside him.  I would like to hear what you guys think.

Say, how's it going Jake fan:-

Jake, in my opinion, is a leader - looks like this throughout most of the movie.  He is constantly riding his horse in front of Ennis.  Takes the the first major step in the first tent scene. Drives for more than 15 hours from Texas 3 or 4 times a year to see Ennis.
I'm not sure if this is convincing enough for you.  Perhaps other members may have other opinions or add to mine.

Pierre -  ;)

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2007, 11:34:41 pm »
Maybe it could also be interpreted literally as Ennis keeping his distance.  Simple as that.  He just met Jack, doesn't trust him, not sure how to handle him and prefers to watch him from a distance - keeping Jack outside his comfort zone.

And yet their steps are completely in synch.  8) Ennis is keeping his distance, but he naturally falls into step with Jack regardless.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.