Author Topic: Ennis shaping Jack's behaviors...  (Read 3368 times)

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Ennis shaping Jack's behaviors...
« on: January 28, 2007, 07:13:49 pm »
I thought this would be an interesting topic, as there do seem to be multiple examples of this in the movie. I was prompted to start this topic because there seem to be some actions or events that are solely attributed to Jack's initiation of them -  it is my contention though that there are instances in which Ennis helped to 'set the stage' so to speak, thus being the true initiator, or precipitator of some events or of some of Jack's (re)actions.

I would like to start off with an observation of pre-TS1, after now viewing BBM half-a-dozen times. I am leaning towards the perception that it was actually Ennis who initiated his own invitation into the tent by his 'hammering'. I cannot say that Ennis was clearly formulating this in his mind, but at some level, he must have 'known' that if he kept up his hammering long enough and loud enough, he would get another invite by Jack to come into the tent....again, I cannot say he was consciously planning this or what was to follow, but I do believe that he might have hoped for another invite from Jack to come into the tent.

I look forward to the group's comments and insights

Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Ennis shaping Jack's behaviors...
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 07:29:54 pm »
I sorta of do agree.  I also at first thought that TS 1 was  all Jack, but now that I have started to focus more on it I was surprised to realize that in many ways it was in Ennis's lead and control.

I am not sure if the 'hammering' was on purpose or if he was just really cold, but I do think that Ennis did want to go in the tent but he was hesitant when Jack first asked him.

In fact I think that 'I ain't yet had the oppurtunity' while staring at Jack absolutely was an invitiation to him to give him the opportunity.

And it was when Jack took Ennis's hand the second time, I didn't get that for a long time, it put the whole thing in Ennis's control, and he did leave his had there...

I thinks that is what you see on multiple, multiple viewings, that it was a lot of Jack responding to Ennis, not the other way around as it first appears.

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 10:29:47 pm »
I sorta of do agree.  I also at first thought that TS 1 was  all Jack, but now that I have started to focus more on it I was surprised to realize that in many ways it was in Ennis's lead and control.

I am not sure if the 'hammering' was on purpose or if he was just really cold, but I do think that Ennis did want to go in the tent but he was hesitant when Jack first asked him.

In fact I think that 'I ain't yet had the oppurtunity' while staring at Jack absolutely was an invitiation to him to give him the opportunity.

And it was when Jack took Ennis's hand the second time, I didn't get that for a long time, it put the whole thing in Ennis's control, and he did leave his had there...

I thinks that is what you see on multiple, multiple viewings, that it was a lot of Jack responding to Ennis, not the other way around as it first appears.

Hey marlb42 - great for identifying that one! Ennis does seem to leave the 'door open' in many instances. Definitely, I do think it was genuinely cold pre TS1 - essentially, here was a guy who was willing to endure frostbite than to go inside a warm tent on his own initiative occupied by another man. I think he did set the events of TS1 in motion though whether consciously or not...
Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 01:25:28 pm »
Hunh..no other perspectives? Come on you insightful, intelligent Brokies you....  :D

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 06:45:45 pm »
Hunh..no other perspectives? Come on you insightful, intelligent Brokies you....  :D

Don't know about insightful and intelligent, but I'll take the bait anyway  ;D

From the top of my head:
  • Ennis was the one who initiated the happy tussle
  • E intiated the reunion kiss
  • E did things for Jack before TS1 that J had to notice: ordering soup, shooting the elk, switching jobs
  • "Ain't yet had the oppurtunity" - yep, if that was not an invitation, it was at least a sign
  • Ennis wrote the postcard which led to the disatrous post divorce scene
  • Ennis touching Jack's shoulder while setting up the second camp, when J carries a log

Ennis was also the one who set the conditions/terms of their relationship: the not queer conversation after TS1, in the motel and at their first trip, after the divorce and so on.

Ennis was all but passive.

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 06:59:24 pm »
I think both were initiators and precipitators of all events that led to their relationship, happiness and despair. Jack did some, and Ennis did some others. All relationships are like that. Sometimes we are passive and some other times we are active. It takes two to tango.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 07:03:17 pm by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 03:43:04 pm »
Don't know about insightful and intelligent, but I'll take the bait anyway  ;D

From the top of my head:
  • Ennis was the one who initiated the happy tussle
  • E intiated the reunion kiss
  • E did things for Jack before TS1 that J had to notice: ordering soup, shooting the elk, switching jobs
  • "Ain't yet had the oppurtunity" - yep, if that was not an invitation, it was at least a sign
  • Ennis wrote the postcard which led to the disatrous post divorce scene
  • Ennis touching Jack's shoulder while setting up the second camp, when J carries a log

Ennis was also the one who set the conditions/terms of their relationship: the not queer conversation after TS1, in the motel and at their first trip, after the divorce and so on.

Ennis was all but passive.

Really, Penthesilea, it wasn't 'bait', ....'I swear'!  :D Seriously, I like your list - some I had not thought of before. And, very well said, Ennis was not passive by any means also as Opinionista points out that both Jack and Ennis shaped each others' behaviors.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 05:57:41 pm »
Really, Penthesilea, it wasn't 'bait', ....'I swear'!  :D Seriously, I like your list - some I had not thought of before. And, very well said, Ennis was not passive by any means also as Opinionista points out that both Jack and Ennis shaped each others' behaviors.

I also liked Natali's two to tango comment. A perfect example for it is the reunion: it was Jack who wrote the first postcard and opened the door figuratively. But it was Ennis who  stormed through it full throttle and made the reunion to what it was  :).