Author Topic: Manliness and the Men of Brokeback  (Read 4795 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: Manliness and the Men of Brokeback
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2006, 04:06:26 pm »
Quote from the article;
Mansfield tries to rescue manliness from all this fretful ambiguity by defining it as "confidence in the face of risk,"
wait a second. isn't "confidence in the face of risk" a quality we all aspire to, man or woman? if a woman is confident in the face of risk, that that make her masculine?

What starboard said.  I wish they would stop trying this.  All the book is about is gender labeling.  We're trying to stop that between races and types of people, why not the sexes?  Every characteristic Mansfield gave as a 'manly' characteristic I could name 1/2 dozen women who had the same characteristic.

I find these kinds of studies flawed.  The writers need to deal with cultural relativity as to what it means to be a man, because it differs across the board.

Unfortunately, because the macho paradigm is all about power, many cultures, heretofore more humanistic (men holding hands in public, hugging and kissing, etc) are starting to switch over their idea of what it means to be a man and that is unfortunate and troublesome for the future in gender relations.