Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1178200 times)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #1100 on: April 18, 2007, 11:23:47 pm »
That is very sweet ... and too true, A!  :D

~M

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1101 on: April 19, 2007, 07:07:09 am »
Oh, my Adiabatic - I'm not sure what to say - what a lovely way to start my day!

Thank you  :-*
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1102 on: April 19, 2007, 07:14:51 am »
Morning all,

For today:

• "You are a blast"
  • promotion
  • sleep sofa

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #1103 on: April 19, 2007, 12:49:28 pm »
June 1978

Summer days have fallen in to a easy routine for Ennis and Bobby, waking at dawn each day to tackle the needs of the old homestead, hot hearty breakfast prepared by Mrs. Twist , often packing a lunch to take with them out in the far distance of the ranch. Back at the house by early evening, turns in the bathtub, clean shirts an jeans for supper. Ennis had taken notice Bobby's gentle ways with the animals, he seems fascinated when he taught him how the check their hoofs, scan for tics, never afraid always curious. This evening Ennis fired up the old Webber for marinated steaks to go with the country potato  pancakes, green beans from the garden Bobby's grandma was making.

"So Bobby there.....Whut are yer plans after summer....ya goin' on to school?"

"Yes sir...Ennis....goin' ta  Texas state."

"Studin'?"

"Mama wants me ta take business courses...want me ta take over Newsome's one day."

"That whut you want son?"

"I guess....I don't know....Pop worked there 'n all"

"Your dad was good at it....sellin' tractors....but...."

"But what Ennis?"

"Don't think he liked it much....didn't make him happy....don't 'spect... Ah think he always had ranchin' in his blood." Ennis checking the underside of a steak.

"Ennis.....I'm real sorry you 'n dad never got ta.....you know..."

"Now hush up son....don't matter none now....'Sides it wasn't like Ah never got ta see him all them times....best times Ah ever had was with yer father.... Important thing is best ta be doin' whut ya want 'for ya get settled...lotta different things ya can do....you can take what ever courses ya want too....hear?"

"Yes sir....Ennis.....thanks..."

"Come on now.... these steaks are just 'bout done....go call yer grandma."

« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 08:24:23 pm by jpwagoneer1964 »
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline haunted_by_bbm

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • "didn't know we was gonna get into this again..."
    • Panels of the Dream: Brokeback Mountain Stories
« Reply #1104 on: April 19, 2007, 02:16:12 pm »

Somewhere in an AU world…

The Fight

Jack pulled out the sleeper sofa angrily, slamming the metal frame to the ground with a vengeance, hollerin’ when one of the bottom corners came down hard on his foot.

“Shiiit!  Damnit!”   Jack bit his lip as he cussed, not wanting Ennis to know he just smashed his own foot in his anger and frustration.  He turned from the doorway, rolling his lips hard to keep his mouth closed, tenderly running his instep along the carpet, trying to dull the pain.

“Shiiit…” Jack whispered again, but this time, the word was muttered more as a reaction to the state of their evening, rather than a tribute to his foot.

“What you doin’?!”  Ennis came rushing in, hearing everything from the other room.  But once he saw the sofa pulled out across the tiny living room, thin stained mattress bent and crooked from its normal position of being folded up, Ennis’ face returned to its tight expression of a moment earlier, his skin looking like a worn canvas drawn too tight on a bone-structured frame.

“What the hell you doin’?”  Ennis repeated, his lips drawn so tight, they fairly disappeared all together, becoming one thin line of barely contained tension.

“What’s it look like I’m doin’?!” Jack spat out. 

“Looks like you bein’ a fuckin’ idiot!  That’s what it look like!”

“Well, congratulations, Ennis,” Jack hissed.  “You just got a promotion from being an asshole to being a full-fledged son of a bitch!”

Ennis shook where he stood, opened his mouth to continue the barrage, thought better of it, gave up, turned on his heel, and left the room, muttering as he pounded the doorframe on his way out.

“Oh, you just a blast to live with, Jack fuckin’ Twist!”

Jack threw the pillow at the empty doorframe.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(300 Words)       

Hope this one is okay.   :) 
I’m normally all about our boys being happy,
but for some reason the “sleep sofa" prompt
totally inspired a fight in my crazy little mind.   lol   
Hopefully, tomorrow’s prompts will inspire a make-up session. 
Don’t want to leave our boys fighting for too long.   ;)

C*   

"The room stank of semen and smoke and sweat and whiskey, of old carpet and sour hay, saddle leather, shit and cheap soap.  Ennis lay spread-eagled, spent and wet, breathing deep, still half tumescent, Jack blowing forceful cigarette clouds like whale spouts..." – Annie Proulx

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1105 on: April 19, 2007, 02:27:46 pm »
Somewhere in an AU world…

Hopefully, tomorrow’s prompts will inspire a make-up session. 
Don’t want to leave our boys fighting for too long.   ;)

C*   

Hopefully the making up will be as heated as the fight, C!  ;D

"Ennis.....I'm real sorry you 'n dad never got ta.....you know..."

Awww..  :)  I am liking Bobby and Ennis getting on and spending all this time together, Mark.

Cheers!
~M

Offline haunted_by_bbm

« Reply #1106 on: April 19, 2007, 02:39:22 pm »
Hopefully the making up will be as heated as the fight, C!  ;D

I can probably handle that.   ;)   hehehe   
C*
"The room stank of semen and smoke and sweat and whiskey, of old carpet and sour hay, saddle leather, shit and cheap soap.  Ennis lay spread-eagled, spent and wet, breathing deep, still half tumescent, Jack blowing forceful cigarette clouds like whale spouts..." – Annie Proulx

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1107 on: April 19, 2007, 02:42:06 pm »
Excellent!
I'll hold you to that!   8)

Offline haunted_by_bbm

« Reply #1108 on: April 19, 2007, 02:44:57 pm »
Excellent!
I'll hold you to that!   8)

;D :-*

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1109 on: April 19, 2007, 02:50:06 pm »
Okay...I just finished mine ...

Lost hope..

August 1973

She sat quietly on the old sleep sofa in the living room and watched him go in and out of the bedroom, then the kitchen; gathering items which he shoved hastily into his canvas bag.  She looked at the creel case sitting on the table beside the bag he was stuffing with clothes.  He hadn’t even opened it since the last trip.  She’d checked the night before and the note she’d left last time was untouched, clinging to the new fishing line. 

“Ennis … Can we talk before you leave?” she finally asked.  He looked at her impatiently and averted her eyes.

“Uh … I’m kinda runnin’ late here, Alma..” he mumbled and walked back into the bedroom.

Her temper rose; she was so close to screaming it all out ...’I know where you’re goin’, and what you’re goin’ to be doin’ all weekend!  I know, dammit!  I know!’ … She bit her tongue and took in a labored breath just as he walked back into the living room.

“I got some news, is all..” she added, leaning back against the cushions, thin arms folded across her chest.  This time he didn’t look at her.  He muttered a quick “See ya in a few days...”, then he was out the door, and down the old steps, bag and creel case in hand.  She stood up and watched as he fired up his pickup and drove off.  She swallowed hard and stared vacantly out the window.  All she’d wanted to do was share a bit of her good news – Monroe had given her a promotion today.  That meant a bit more money coming in; maybe things would be a mite easier…or so she’d hoped.

He accelerated down the highway, tapping his fingers anxiously on the steering wheel.  Boy, he got it bad – ten whole years later and he still felt like a kid on Christmas morning every time he was about to see Jack.  Tonight he would lie in his arms, run his hands along his muscled body, kiss those sweet lips and make love to him until they were both too tired to move.  He stepped on the gas, aching to distance himself from Riverton and the hurt he’d seen in those eyes peering at him from the apartment window…