Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1178181 times)

Offline haunted_by_bbm

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • "didn't know we was gonna get into this again..."
    • Panels of the Dream: Brokeback Mountain Stories
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #1110 on: April 19, 2007, 03:13:09 pm »

Lost hope..

August 1973

“He accelerated down the highway, tapping his fingers anxiously on the steering wheel.  Boy, he got it bad – ten whole years later and he still felt like a kid on Christmas morning every time he was about to see Jack.  Tonight he would lie in his arms, run his hands along his muscled body, kiss those sweet lips and make love to him until they were both too tired to move.  He stepped on the gas, aching to distance himself from Riverton and the hurt he’d seen in those eyes peering at him from the apartment window…"

Achingly good.    :)
"The room stank of semen and smoke and sweat and whiskey, of old carpet and sour hay, saddle leather, shit and cheap soap.  Ennis lay spread-eagled, spent and wet, breathing deep, still half tumescent, Jack blowing forceful cigarette clouds like whale spouts..." – Annie Proulx

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1111 on: April 19, 2007, 04:05:55 pm »
Hopefully the making up will be as heated as the fight, C!  ;D

Cheers!
~M

What she said....

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline haunted_by_bbm

« Reply #1112 on: April 19, 2007, 04:17:21 pm »
"The room stank of semen and smoke and sweat and whiskey, of old carpet and sour hay, saddle leather, shit and cheap soap.  Ennis lay spread-eagled, spent and wet, breathing deep, still half tumescent, Jack blowing forceful cigarette clouds like whale spouts..." – Annie Proulx

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1113 on: April 19, 2007, 05:32:42 pm »
June 1978

.... Important thing is best ta be doin' whut ya want 'for ya get settled... 

Ennis knows that better than anyone . . . and he's just the one Jack would want guiding Bobby.  This makes me happy, Mark  :)  - and hungry LOL! 

.  .  .
“Well, congratulations, Ennis,” Jack hissed.  “You just got a promotion from being an asshole to being a full-fledged son of a bitch!”  .  .  .

That line is too funny, C!  Nothing wrong with a good argument - gets the blood boiling!  You're not surprised that I'm chiming in with a demand request for the make-up sex, are you?  I know you'll find a way to make tomorrow's prompts inspire it.   LOL! 

Lost hope..

.  .  .  He stepped on the gas, aching to distance himself from Riverton and the hurt he’d seen in those eyes peering at him from the apartment window...… 

It really is achingly good, as C said, as well as achingly honest.  I love that you don't flinch from uncomfortable truths. 

Thanks,
Marie

The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1114 on: April 19, 2007, 07:29:11 pm »
The Store

(August 1985)
They went back to the truck and then Tom began driving and driving.  Ennis just sat there looking out the window.  They passed ranches, with cows lazily lunching, they passed a couple of real small towns, each with a bar and a general store.  Ennis stopped asking where they were going.

Tom didn’t talk much either, but every so often he took a sideways glance at Ennis.  They passed houses with yards and another ranch, then there entered a larger town.  This one had two bars and a few stores.  Tom kept on driving, but at the edge of the town he suddenly stopped.  They were in front of a store, it had a sign that said “Antiques for Sale.”

Ennis was jolted by the sudden stop.  “Whadya stoppin’ here for?” 

Tom got out the truck.  He mumbled something but Ennis didn’t understand.  He didn’t understand any of this at all.  At first he thought that Tom made sense, but ever since that day more than a month ago he didn’t understand him at all.  But he got out of the truck and slowly followed Tom into the store.

It was packed almost to the ceiling.  There was furniture, some chairs, a couple of tables and on the side a big brown sleep sofa that was halfway open.  There were lamps and old televisions and an old bookcase, filled with yellowed volumes, maybe never to be opened again. 

“Anybody here?” Tom called.

Suddenly a young man appeared, almost a boy, with dark brown hair and a big smile.  “I’m here” he said.  He looked as if he didn’t belong here.

Tom went towards him.  “Ya gotta promotion?  Are ya in charge of this old place now?”  They hugged.  The boy smiled even more.

“Naw, just for a couple of days.”

Tom pointed towards Ennis.  He looked at them and nodded.  He looked all around the store.  But then he noticed something.  An old picture in a frame sitting on a box.  He went over and picked it up.   A chill went up and down his spine.  He suddenly felt something real strange again.

“You’re such a blast” Tom said.  Tom and the boy laughed and they hugged once more.  Ennis looked at the picture again.  Suddenly he really wanted to go home.  The chill was running up and down his spine.

“How much ya want for this picture?”
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 08:30:06 pm by Cameron »

Offline haunted_by_bbm

« Reply #1115 on: April 19, 2007, 08:05:34 pm »

That line is too funny, C!  Nothing wrong with a good argument - gets the blood boiling!  You're not surprised that I'm chiming in with a demand request for the make-up sex, are you?  I know you'll find a way to make tomorrow's prompts inspire it.   LOL! 

I had a feeling you might chime in.    ;)    :-*     lol
C*

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1116 on: April 19, 2007, 08:40:05 pm »
.  .  . An old picture in a frame sitting on a box.  He went over and picked it up.   A chill went up and down his spine.  He suddenly felt something real strange again. . .

You have a gift for intrigue, you know that, Marl? I like that you leave me thinking and wondering  . . .

Thanks,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1117 on: April 19, 2007, 11:38:52 pm »
Aw, thank you so much, Marie. :)

Great drabbles today, drabblers. :D

Marl

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1118 on: April 20, 2007, 06:52:25 am »
Greetings everyone,

• snapshot
  • predictable
  • "Four score and seven years ago"

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #1119 on: April 20, 2007, 09:38:09 am »
I had a feeling you might chime in.    ;)    :-*     lol
C*

I'm a bit late, but can i still join the chiming in?  ;)

thank you
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'