Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1199506 times)

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #1190 on: April 30, 2007, 03:51:10 pm »
Greetings!  I got a dabble today ..  :)

Say You’re Sorry…

Another good one Milli. I like your description of their family life, however difficult it was.  :-\
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1191 on: April 30, 2007, 05:45:15 pm »
.  .  .
"Huh?...oh...well...the next mornin' when Ah rode down fer breakfast...rode out real early...you how yer dad is in the morning'...kinda groggy? Well it was barely lite out...Ah lay this rope out....cover it with pine needle an such...threw a rock at the tent ta wake him...he gets up...starts ta mosey outta the tent....an....an..."Ennis starts to laugh uncontrollably.

"And what Ennis?  What happened?"

"He walks on....he get on where's Ah got the rope  an....an Ah lasso's him up ah tree....Wuz that one right there." Ennis points with  the log....He wuz hangin' upside down up in the air...got 'm by one leg....wuz the funnest thing Ah ever did see! Yer daddy  up there strung up in that tree!" Both Ennis and Bobby  roll on the ground laughing.  .  .  .

It helps to remember loved ones with laughter - a wonderful healing process for those left behind, and especially so for Ennis, whose laughter was rare.  This is so great, Mark. 

.  .  .
“So you’ll tell Ma you’re sorry?”

“Promise.”  His eyes glistened with tears and he blinked them away.  She finally smiled when he kissed her forehead and pinched her nose.  She jumped off his knee and ran outside to join her sister; he followed her.

.  .  .

He sat heavily on the stairs, pretending to sulk.  They both giggled in amusement; momentarily forgetting the quarrel they'd witnessed less than an hour before. 

Ahh, out of the mouths of babes, eh?  Good, decent people caught in an impossible situation.   :(   Wonderful insight as always, Milli. 

Thanks,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1192 on: May 01, 2007, 05:53:07 am »
Hello everyone,

• Zephyr
  • note pad or composition book
  • loaf of bread

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #1193 on: May 01, 2007, 07:04:44 pm »
July 1988

Long after midnite Ennis threw a log on the fire as he slips into the warm down bag, the same one Jack had used when he and Bobby went camping. Bobby already inside his, zipped up to his head, looking at the stars.

"Bobby...son....ya wanna tell me about some of the trips yer folks took ya on trips in the summer?"

"When I was seven....went ta Disneyland...rode on the Matterhorn, me 'n Pop drove on the 'Autotopia', he let me steer. then we rode on 'Pirate of the Cara bean, we stayed at the 'Disneyland Hotel' we there a few days at least. One year went to San Diego, stayed in a hotel right on the beach....went to the Zoo....one of the biggest zoos in the world! And then we went up one to the 'Wild Animal Park'....I think I was ten that year....... Once we went to Washington D.C. ...when I was in fourth grade...saw the White House....saw the statue of Lincoln, Pop dared me to climb in his lap...I remember I wrote a report fer school on that trip.... Another year we went to 'Disney World' n' 'Epcot Center'....were there a whole week.... Let's see....went to Seattle, me 'n Pop went to the top of the 'Space Needle'." Bobby hands laced behind his head looks up at the stars.

"Bobby....which... one wuz yer favorite?"

"When Pop took me up ta Lightning Flat...an then takin' me campin'. Meet my other grandarent's fer the first time...guest I was 'bout nine that first trip....had mama put me on a plane in Dallas....Pop would meet me in Casper...first time one a plane by myself... best time I remember....with Pop.  My grandpa....I called him papy ...didn't talk to much at first ...'specially ta dad but he got ta like me pretty good... My other grandpa...mama's daddy...him 'n Pop never git on to well... don't think he like Pop much...use ta always kinda talk down ta him....even though he was his best combine salesman and he could drive any of 'm... don't think grandpa could drive those machines at tal. Well one thanksgiving..I  was 'bout eight or nine the got in a scuffle...don't ever remember what it was about...." Bobby starts to laugh. "Pop shouts at 'm 'SIT DOWN YOU SON OF A BITCH..THIS IS MY HOUSE, SIT THE HELL DOWN  OR I WILL KICK YOU IGNORANT ASS UNTIL NEXT WEEK'  Grandpa never gave Pop no lip after that!" Both Ennis and Bobby laugh.

"You...your dad teach ya yer stars son when he took ya campin'?"

"Yep...he sure did...that right there is the 'Northern Cross'....there's the "North Star" and can you see the 'Big Dipper'. He...he teach you the stars Ennis?"

"Yep....he ...he sure did...sure glad he wuz able ta take up campin' ta the mountains."

"Yeah...guess it was after he come up ta see you....sometimes....sometimes he's look kinda sad.....think now he was missin' ya....I aways could perk 'm up....could always make 'm smile." Bobby beaned back.

"Zzzzzz...zzzzz..."

"Ennis...you...you still awake?" Bobby whispered.

"Huh?......Course Ah am!.."

"Thought mebe I heard ya snorin'..."

"Me...huh?....Ah never snore....." Bobby started to giggle. "Now yer daddy....he could snore....snored so loud...he'd wake 'm self up....always said it wuz me.....but.....it wuz.....zzzzzzzzzzz........zzzzzzzzzzzzz."

Campfire dying down, in the trees reaching high above their weary heads the gentle gust of wind blew thru the pines, lulling Bobby and Ennis into a deep peaceful sleep, dreaming of their days with the man each loved so much..

« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 11:04:00 pm by jpwagoneer1964 »
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1194 on: May 02, 2007, 12:47:43 pm »
July 1988
.  .  .
Campfire dying down, in the trees reaching high above their weary heads the gentle gust of wind blew thru the pines, lulling Bobby and Ennis into a deep peaceful sleep, dreaming of their days with the man each loved

Better and better, Mark.  Imagining Bobby and Ennis in their deep peaceful sleep is giving me a sense of peace, too.  (And I love Jack teaching Ennis the stars - how perfect!)

Thanks,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Scott6373

« Reply #1195 on: May 02, 2007, 01:59:29 pm »
OK...it's long...I didn't get permission...sorry.

Note pad or composition book  5/3/07

Jack sat on the warm sand by the stream.  He opened the little notebook that he enjoyed writing in.  He always and only came here when he would write.  It was his special place:  A place where no one ever came and disturbed his memories, or his writing.  Throughout his life, he regretted his lack of education, but since finding this place, he seemed more capable, more fluent with words and his feelings.  Maybe it was this place.  The colors were more vivid.  The green of the grass, and the leaves, the blues and grays of the water were so saturated, that the color itself was palpable.

As he set his lead to the paper, he heard an unfamiliar rustle in the tress and shrubs.  He cocked his head slightly, but did not move otherwise.  From under the lush bush, a small gray and silver dog walked out.  Jack couldn’t divert his gaze.  He couldn’t remember the last time he actually saw a dog.  The small dog trotted up to him, its tail wagging in a circular motion, like the propeller of an airplane.  Jack put the things down that he held, as the dog sidled up to him.

“Hey there little feller.  Where did ya come from?”  He reached over the dog and placed his arm across its back, as the dog laid down next to him, resting his head on Jacks leg.  “Sure are a cute one…sweet Jesus look at those brown eyes on ya.”  The small dog’s eyes were in fact large and brown, but Jack could not discern if they held contentment or sadness.  The dog let out a large sigh and its eyes closed slowly.  Before the animal drifted off on Jack’s lap, the eyes opened widely, the nose started twitching and sniffing.  Jack looked around, but could see nothing, or no one around them, but the dog was already standing now, looking off toward the hill that lead to home.  Softly, and carried on the warm, sweet wind, a whistle came.  The small dog’s excitement grew as the sound came closer.  In an instant, the dog was off, running at full bore up the hill.  Shielding his eyes from the brilliant sun, he walked quickly after the dog, and stopped only when he saw the figure of a man at the top of the hill.

Jack stood still as the dog ran and leapt into the arms of the man.  There was visible and tangible feeling flowing from the two creatures as they swirled and whirled.  It came out of them as light and incandescence.  Jack stood and watched this, but did not share their feelings.  He knew that the man and his dog were together again, but he was still alone.  He turned from the scene, his heart growing heavy again.  He knew he would not write today.  He knew the colors would not be the same now.

“Thank you Jack…for taking care of him.”  I extended my hand toward him.  He turned slowly, and pushed his black Resistol back. 

Jack extended his hand and grasped mine.  “Not a problem.  Real nice dog.  How do you know my name?”

I couldn’t help but chuckle, and shake my head.  “You would not believe how many people know you Jack…or the things that have been done in your name.”  I bent down to put Rupert on the ground.  “I do have to say, that I always hoped I would find my dog again, but I never thought I would find you.”

Hands still clasped, Jack continued to look at me with a mixture of bemusement and concern.  “I’m sorry; I guess I should introduce myself.  My name is Scott.”  I gave our connected hands a firm shake.

“Um…pleased to meetcha Scott.  How did ya find this place?”  Jack glanced over at Rupert, who was rolling around in the grass, scratching some non-itchy itch that I suspected was just an excuse for him to roll around in the grass.

“Well, I’ve been around for while, but was really lost.  I didn’t know where I was for the longest time.  You see Jack, I put myself here.  I didn’t wait to for an invitation.  I guess it made this journey a little harder in the end.”

Jack nodded in agreement.  “I felt the same way.  Used ta think I put myself here, but I know better now.”

“You want to walk for a while?”  I asked him.

“Sure, sure…”

“Rupert, let’s go.”  He jumped up from the grass and followed Jack and I up the hill.  We walked for a long while.  I told him all the stories about how his and Ennis tale had affected people.  Sometimes he laughed:  Sometimes he got mad.  He thought it was funny that people wanted to write stories about him and Ennis.  He couldn’t understand what they had done that was so special, or why people were so interested in them, but I tried to explain it as best I could.  We must have walked for miles and miles, but neither we nor Rupert seemed at all fatigued by the trek.  We came through a large stand of trees, where a small path led us out to a stone bridge over sparklingly clean water.  The sun, glinting off the water, blinded us for a moment.

“It’s about time you guys showed up!”  The voice was instantly familiar to me, but I had feared to harbor hope that I would hear it again.  Rupert bolted from my side, and ran across the bridge.

“Jack, I have to leave you now.”  I could see the sadness in his eyes, but I knew that he would have this moment soon.  “Jack…thanks again…for everything.  You’ve done more than you can possibly know.”

Jack nodded in reply.  In moments, I felt those arms around me.  The ones that had kept me safe from everything but myself, but now, they made me feel safe from even that.  Safe, and home.  With Rupert jumping up and down around our legs, we crossed the bridge, but before I stepped off, I looked backwards, a character flaw I had always hated about myself.  This time, however, it gave peace.  Jack was sitting on the other side, his notebook open, and his lead moving swiftly across the page.  How I wish I could see what he was writing.  Even as this image was fading, and we were moving beyond the place where Jack was, I saw the man approach the bridge we had just left.  Jack rose and met him in the middle.  Like the end of a movie, this image faded away, but left me smiling.

1112 words

« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 02:13:50 pm by Scott »

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1196 on: May 02, 2007, 02:14:46 pm »

A nice long walk with Jack and Rupert...Knowing they will, always be right by you, and with you,,,,  along with the one who loves you most,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,  ,lovely Scott                       janice
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 10:16:24 pm by ifyoucantfixit »

Beautiful mind

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #1197 on: May 02, 2007, 02:25:24 pm »
I don't think you need permission to write something as moving and beautiful as this!

thank you for drabbling.. :)
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1198 on: May 02, 2007, 03:20:43 pm »
That was lovely, Scott. Thank you. Good to have you back to writing.

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1199 on: May 02, 2007, 04:03:38 pm »
.  .   .
Jack nodded in reply.  In moments, I felt those arms around me.  The ones that had kept me safe from everything but myself, but now, they made me feel safe from even that.  Safe, and home.  With Rupert jumping up and down around our legs, we crossed the bridge, but before I stepped off, I looked backwards, a character flaw I had always hated about myself.  This time, however, it gave peace.  Jack was sitting on the other side, his notebook open, and his lead moving swiftly across the page.  How I wish I could see what he was writing.  Even as this image was fading, and we were moving beyond the place where Jack was, I saw the man approach the bridge we had just left.  Jack rose and met him in the middle.  Like the end of a movie, this image faded away, but left me smiling. 

This clenched my heart like a fist - but left me smiling, too. Thanks for sharing, Scott - your writing is always special.

Marie