Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1204884 times)

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #1200 on: May 02, 2007, 08:28:52 pm »
Scott, that was so lovely. And exactly what I needed to read. Thank you so very, very much.
Fern
on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1201 on: May 03, 2007, 06:15:03 am »
Morning all,

Try these:

• letter opener
  • Bryce Canyon
  • a parliament of owls

L
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 07:43:42 am by MaineWriter »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #1202 on: May 03, 2007, 03:33:27 pm »
Where are my fellow drabblers? Marlen, Milli, Leslie, Janice and all others (ok, Scott and Mark are holding the flag up - thank you for that).

It's natural that the drabble thread can't go on it's initial speed forever and slowing down is fine. But I really do miss your drabbles.

Maybe you all have issues with your muses, like I have? For my part, I wasn't too fond of my last drabble (yes, it was sweet, but not very original) and so I take some vacancies from drabbling. But hey, we can't go on drabble vacancies all at the same time. There's almost nothing left to read  :o.

Anyone fit to fill in?

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #1203 on: May 03, 2007, 03:42:23 pm »
Going thru a bit of a rough patch, back in a few days.
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1204 on: May 03, 2007, 05:13:24 pm »
Howdy ..
Okay, I got something. :)

I Keep Missing You

July 1973

Jack sat at Lureen’s desk, twirling the silver letter opener carelessly in his hand.  He looked at the postcard he’d just signed and smiled as if savoring a little joke only he could understand.  He was sending this ahead of time because he didn’t want to take any chances.

Alma placed all the mail on the table, along with her purse and the bag of vegetables she had just purchased at the farmer’s market.  She went through the pile of letters quietly, heaving a tired sigh as she perused one bill after the other.  Then, she saw the postcard.  The picture on the front was another mountain scenery she’d hoped never to see again.  She looked towards the living room for a brief moment; he was sipping a beer and watching some black and white movie on TV.  She could feel the rage slowly simmering under her skin.  She flipped the postcard over and swallowed hard when she saw the handwriting:

Friend,
Hope we can meet second week of September.
Try to take time off - got something planned.
Write back or call.
Jack

She slipped the card in the back pocket of her jeans and started supper in silence.

The weeks dragged by at a snail’s pace.  The second week of September finally arrived … still no reply to his card.  Maybe he has finally decided to end it, maybe his reply is still on its way, maybe he had other plans … Jack worried.  The uncertainty drove him mad; he would’ve called but he knew Ennis’ home line was currently disconnected …He thought of driving all the way to Wyoming but decided against it; Lureen would definitely have a kitten if he did.  He sent another postcard:

Ennis,
You’ll get this late, but Happy 30th Birthday.
Had hoped for a trip to Utah this week.. Bryce Canyon.
Jack

He was feeling completely dejected as he lay idly on the sofa, rubbing away at his throbbing forehead.  He ignored the phone as it rang a few times.  He suddenly jumped up to answer it, hoping it might be who he was hoping it’d be, when the caller hung up.  He cursed underneath his breath.

Ennis ran his hand through his hair in frustration.  He exited the phone booth and got back into his truck.  He slammed the door and drove on back home.

Offline cwby30

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #1205 on: May 03, 2007, 05:53:24 pm »
Wouldn't want anyone to miss a drabble fix...probably a bit long, but...like others have said, the guys have a lot to say!  AU! Here goes...

Circle JE Ranch, April, 1995

Jack dropped the mail on the desk in front of Ennis, leaned in to kiss the back of his neck and nuzzle his hair while wrapping an arm around his shoulders. 

Ennis tilted his head up to meet the kiss, eyes closed.  “Mmmmm…ya smell like hay, and horses, and sunshine, and sweat, and…”

“So, ya want me to stop?” he mumbled softly into the golden curls.

“Jist long enough for me ta turn around and show ya my appreciation.” Jack did, and Ennis did, a long, deep, thought about you all day sorry I missed lunch I'm late I’ll make it up tonite whatever you want kind of kiss.

Breaking the kiss with a sigh, Ennis turned back to the desk, adjusting his glasses. “Now go on and clean up, while I look at this pile ya left here and see whether we can afford to go to Micky’s Place Saturday night.” Picking up the silver letter opener, he slit open the power company envelope with a deftness born from years of castrating calves. 

“Ouch,” Jack winced with a sideways smile, both arms now around Ennis’ shoulders. “Remind me to stay out of your way at brandin'.”

“Ha, Ha, Ha… Hey, here’s a postcard from Junior. Says enjoyin' Bryce Canyon Lodge, walked into the Canyon with the twins yesterday, boys scared a bunch of owls in a cave, back Friday, wish you were here.”

“Wish we could be refereein’ those two fer 'em, more'n likely! Ya know, let’s skip Micky’s 'n have 'em over instead.  Hear about the trip, 'n start plannin' fer Father’s Day.”

“Yeah, I’d like that, haven’t seen ‘em in too long.” Pause. “Wish Frankie would come.”

“She will, someday, cowboy. Don’t give up on her.”

“Won’t do that, can’t, luv her, she’s still my little girl, even if…'n  if’n ya keep that up dinner'll be colder than usual,” scrunching his shoulders in response to the nibbling on his left ear lobe.

“Okay by me, ain’t hungry for that kinda food right now.”

“Go on, git…” A gentle shrug of the shoulders, loving arms withdrawn, palm brushing a caress across his cheek, footsteps towards the stairs, a tightening in his jeans, a small smile crossing his lips. In a soft voice he called over his shoulder, “I’ll be up when I hear the shower turn off. And don’t use all the hot water this time.”

“Won’t need that ta warm ya up,” came sailing back, followed by the sound of boots taking the stairs two at a time. 

Ennis felt the warmth of the grin that went with those words. ‘Jack fuckin' Twist. How I love ya, ya dumbass!' he chuckled to himself, shaking his head slowly, thinking about so many things. Then, a few more calves got castrated while the water ran for a really short while. 

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1206 on: May 03, 2007, 06:05:14 pm »
That was sweet, cowboy.

I LOL'ed when I read:

Picking up the silver letter opener, he slit open the power company envelope with a deftness born from years of castrating calves.

Ouch is right ..lol

~M

Offline cwby30

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #1207 on: May 03, 2007, 07:40:47 pm »
Afternoon, Lucise:

Glad you got a laugh out of it.  Winced myself writing that line.  Thanks for the reply. 

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1208 on: May 03, 2007, 10:07:13 pm »
.  .  .
He was feeling completely dejected as he lay idly on the sofa, rubbing away at his throbbing forehead.  He ignored the phone as it rang a few times.  He suddenly jumped up to answer it, hoping it might be who he was hoping it’d be, when the caller hung up.  He cursed underneath his breath.

Ennis ran his hand through his hair in frustration.  He exited the phone booth and got back into his truck.  He slammed the door and drove on back home. 

Gaaaah . . you'd think I'd get used to the angst and frustration - but I never do.  Well done, as always, Milli. 

Wouldn't want anyone to miss a drabble fix...probably a bit long, but...like others have said, the guys have a lot to say!  AU! Here goes...

Circle JE Ranch, April, 1995

Jack dropped the mail on the desk in front of Ennis, leaned in to kiss the back of his neck and nuzzle his hair while wrapping an arm around his shoulders. 

Ennis tilted his head up to meet the kiss, eyes closed.  “Mmmmm…ya smell like hay, and horses, and sunshine, and sweat, and…”

“So, ya want me to stop?” he mumbled softly into the golden curls.

“Jist long enough for me ta turn around and show ya my appreciation.” Jack did, and Ennis did, a long, deep, thought about you all day sorry I missed lunch I'm late I’ll make it up tonite whatever you want kind of kiss.

Breaking the kiss with a sigh, Ennis turned back to the desk, adjusting his glasses. “Now go on and clean up, while I look at this pile ya left here and see whether we can afford to go to Micky’s Place Saturday night.” Picking up the silver letter opener, he slit open the power company envelope with a deftness born from years of castrating calves. 

“Ouch,” Jack winced with a sideways smile, both arms now around Ennis’ shoulders. “Remind me to stay out of your way at brandin'.”  .  .  .

Hey, cwby - thanks so much for drabbling!  That was really great - warm, funny, sexy, true and very clever!  I love when one great drabble can inspire another great drabble!  Hope to see more of your writing. 

Thanks,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline cwby30

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #1209 on: May 04, 2007, 01:52:35 am »
Evenin', Marie:

Now that the ice is broken, and I've slipped into the cold water without freezing my ... writing arm off, think I'll try again one of these days.  Thanks for the encouragement.  :)