Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1202815 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #1210 on: May 04, 2007, 06:16:33 am »

Anyone fit to fill in?

Chrissi,

I know you wanted a drabble, but I will tell you a story instead.

I think everyone knows I am working with Louise on editing and originalizing "Taking Chances" and the other books in the tales of Greenlea County. The character formerly known as Ennis is now named Colson, who is transforming into a completely new man and character. It is an interesting process.

A few weeks ago, as we were just getting going on this, I had a very vivid dream. Colson was in the Red Stallion and Ennis came in. They started talking and then Ennis took Colson to the upstairs apartment, where they made love. (Quite passionately, I might add. It was a GOOD dream!). When they fiinished, Ennis left.

I told Louise about this and she said, "Did Ennis go back to Riverton?" and I said no, he's gone. He's gone completely...to heaven, or space, or wherever fictional cowboys go when they leave this earth. He transferred all his energy to Colson and then took off. Don't worry, though. Wherever he has gone, he is happy. That much I know.

I woke up and felt completely invested in the Taking Chances project. Ennis is gone, Colson is real, and we can move ahead.

A side effect that I didn't expect, however, is that Lazy L Ennis is also gone. Even though they were different characters in different stories, they were obviously the same person. It was almost as if, in my mind, the Lazy L was a real place, with Ennis and Jack talking to each other, Jack driving around in his antique truck, etc. Now, it is like a photo album. I can open it up and look at the pictures, but it has all gone silent.

And since then, try as I might, I haven't been able to write a drabble. Every morning I look at the prompts and try to conjure up Jack and Ennis doing something, anything, and they are just quiet.

That doesn't mean I have stopped writing--I haven't. I am just not writing about Jack and Ennis anymore. I have often said that one of the gifts that BBM gave me was my "fiction voice." I have had a dream for a long time to write fiction, and now I am doing it. BBM was a great way to get started, but now I am moving on.

I'll keep posting prompts and who knows? Now that I have written this big speech, maybe a Jack and Ennis drabble will come to me!

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #1211 on: May 04, 2007, 06:19:51 am »
I Keep Missing You

He was feeling completely dejected as he lay idly on the sofa, rubbing away at his throbbing forehead.  He ignored the phone as it rang a few times.  He suddenly jumped up to answer it, hoping it might be who he was hoping it’d be, when the caller hung up.  He cursed underneath his breath.

Ennis ran his hand through his hair in frustration.  He exited the phone booth and got back into his truck.  He slammed the door and drove on back home.

Dammit they missed each other! And damn that Alma.
Thanks for drabbling Milli.

Wouldn't want anyone to miss a drabble fix...probably a bit long, but...like others have said, the guys have a lot to say!  AU! Here goes...

Circle JE Ranch, April, 1995

Ennis felt the warmth of the grin that went with those words. ‘Jack fuckin' Twist. How I love ya, ya dumbass!' he chuckled to himself, shaking his head slowly, thinking about so many things. Then, a few more calves got castrated while the water ran for a really short while. 

Coyboy, welcome to our Drabblefest! Glad you took the leap and threw out your piece. I also got a chuckle out of castrating envelopes  ;)

Leslie: your reply came in while I was typing. Will answer later, I gotta go now.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1212 on: May 04, 2007, 06:20:19 am »
Morning all...

• a cup a joe
  • my old school
  • exactly and approximately

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #1213 on: May 04, 2007, 07:13:08 am »
Chrissi,

I know you wanted a drabble, but I will tell you a story instead.

I think everyone knows I am working with Louise on editing and originalizing "Taking Chances" and the other books in the tales of Greenlea County. The character formerly known as Ennis is now named Colson, who is transforming into a completely new man and character. It is an interesting process.

A few weeks ago, as we were just getting going on this, I had a very vivid dream. Colson was in the Red Stallion and Ennis came in. They started talking and then Ennis took Colson to the upstairs apartment, where they made love. (Quite passionately, I might add. It was a GOOD dream!). When they fiinished, Ennis left.

I told Louise about this and she said, "Did Ennis go back to Riverton?" and I said no, he's gone. He's gone completely...to heaven, or space, or wherever fictional cowboys go when they leave this earth. He transferred all his energy to Colson and then took off. Don't worry, though. Wherever he has gone, he is happy. That much I know.

I woke up and felt completely invested in the Taking Chances project. Ennis is gone, Colson is real, and we can move ahead.

A side effect that I didn't expect, however, is that Lazy L Ennis is also gone. Even though they were different characters in different stories, they were obviously the same person. It was almost as if, in my mind, the Lazy L was a real place, with Ennis and Jack talking to each other, Jack driving around in his antique truck, etc. Now, it is like a photo album. I can open it up and look at the pictures, but it has all gone silent.

And since then, try as I might, I haven't been able to write a drabble. Every morning I look at the prompts and try to conjure up Jack and Ennis doing something, anything, and they are just quiet.

That doesn't mean I have stopped writing--I haven't. I am just not writing about Jack and Ennis anymore. I have often said that one of the gifts that BBM gave me was my "fiction voice." I have had a dream for a long time to write fiction, and now I am doing it. BBM was a great way to get started, but now I am moving on.

I'll keep posting prompts and who knows? Now that I have written this big speech, maybe a Jack and Ennis drabble will come to me!

Leslie

Oh my.
I know, we talked about this (not the Ennis/Colson part, but about writing in general) when you were here. I'm happy for you that you found your writing voice and am sure that Taking Chances is another step for you to further explore it and then break completely new grounds.
This is a good thing and when I say I'm happy for you I really mean it. Finishing the story in your own life ...

But for me, and I'm sure for many others, it's also a bit sad. For the simple egoistic reason that we won't get any more Lazy L stories. And it gives me a little pang to read that Ennis is completely gone for you.
Every thing has come to an end and that's ok - but still a little sad.

Love ya, friend  :-*

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1214 on: May 04, 2007, 07:23:17 am »

Love ya, friend  :-*

Love you, too, Chrissi. Thank you.

You can bet that I was sad when I realized what happened. I really couldn't believe it! I kept waiting and waiting for Jack and Ennis to start talking to me again. I mean, after a year of listening to them, I really couldn't believe that they were quiet, but they were.

The whole writing process is so interesting. I consider this just another step on the path and every day I learn something new.

L

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1215 on: May 04, 2007, 11:47:02 am »
Love you, too, Chrissi. Thank you.

You can bet that I was sad when I realized what happened. I really couldn't believe it! I kept waiting and waiting for Jack and Ennis to start talking to me again. I mean, after a year of listening to them, I really couldn't believe that they were quiet, but they were.

What is it they say? Change is the only constant in life...
J&E came along, you told their story as they spoke to you.  That was the time and the place and you did it.
Now, another voice beckons and you must follow it .. Sounds perfectly good to me ..  :)
Bottom line is..There is a time and a place and there are no coincidences (at least that is what I believe).

Like you say, L, the writing process is indeed an intriguing one, there is always something to learn along the way!  :)

Now..let me see if I can come up with a drabble today...

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1216 on: May 04, 2007, 01:12:37 pm »
Thanks for your "story," Leslie.  Like Chrissi, I read it with mixed emotions - happy for you - a little sad for myself!   :-\  I'm not a fiction writer - but I really do understand what you're saying.   Milli stated it perfectly - "change is the only constant in life" - and when it's time to move on - it's time to move on - and we have to accept that and look at it as a positive thing! I'm happy for you that you've been able to do just that.  Thanks for all the enjoyment you've given me - you know how much it's meant.   :)

xxxxxxooooooo :-*

Marie

The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1217 on: May 04, 2007, 01:15:59 pm »
A little dabble ...  :)

A little news..

September 1973

Lureen sat on the living room sofa, applying thick red coats of shiny nail polish on her toenails.  She nodded her head quietly to the beats of her favorite Steely Dan song playing on the record player…

Well I did not think the girl
Could be so cruel
And I'm never going back
To my old school…

She sang the chorus in between the puffs of breath she blew on her toes to dry the glossy nail polish.  Jack ambled into the living room with a steaming cup of joe in his hand, lips pursed and brows furrowed.  She couldn’t understand why he’d been tense and sullen all week.

“Could you put something else on?  I might hang myself if I hear another Steely Dan song today,” he grumbled, sipping his brew cautiously as he sat down heavily in his favorite armchair.  She just looked at him quietly and continued humming the tune.

“Please  ...” he begged, a weary look in his eyes.  She finally got up and switched the record player off.

“You’ve been sulkier than normal all week.  What’s the matter?” she asked, looking at him curiously.

“Nothing,” he said quietly, looking down into the swirls of black brew as he stirred his coffee.

“Fine,” she said, getting up to leave the room.  “By the way, your friend from Wyoming called while you were out this afternoon,” she said.

His eyes flew open.  “Really?  What did he say?”

“I thought that would perk ya up,” she said, padding out of the room.  He leapt out of his armchair and followed her.

She stopped at the kitchen door and looked at the expectant look on his face.  “I think he’s the one you oughta be married to … the way you’re carrying on...” she shook her head and walked into the kitchen.

You don’t know the fuckin’ half of it, he thought, finally brightening up ... thanks to the little, simple news that Ennis called.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 01:53:59 pm by Lucise »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1218 on: May 04, 2007, 01:19:53 pm »
Thanks Marie and Milli...I really appreciate your thoughts and comments!

Leslie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1219 on: May 05, 2007, 09:19:44 am »
.  .  . , finally brightening up ... thanks to the little, simple news that Ennis called. 

That's all it takes sometimes isn't it - something "simple"  - to take us from despair to hope.  Thanks for this little "brightener!"

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain