Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1196648 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #1290 on: May 11, 2007, 06:35:54 pm »
. . . .
His cowboy hat hangs low over his eyes
Does he know I am watching him?
I start with his feet..
Covered in a pair of worn brown boots;
He shakes white dust off his heels
As he taps his feet on wooden steps.
My gaze travels the length of his legs
Clad in a pair of faded blue jeans.
His hands are crammed in his coat pockets,
His head is down, shoulders tense;
Perhaps lost in thought.
I hear his silent cry, loud and clear.
He is closed to the world, hiding away;
Mysterious and captivating,
Alluring, yet forbidding...
The questions dance around in my head,
In tune with the thumping beats in my chest.
Who is he; why do I care?
Why does he take cover behind that fortress,
Holding up that armor,
All the while begging to be touched? . . . . .

Good God, Millii - this is . . . well, words fail me.  A Work of Art - in the truest sense.  (and maybe my favorite scene - although I'd probably say that about a lot of scenes to be honest  :)

. . . .Ennis looked back at him.  He knew it was time to decide.   

One scarred, lonely soul reaching out to another scarred, lonely soul - and a critical juncture.  You've handled this so deftly, Marl and so honestly.

Thank you,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1291 on: May 12, 2007, 10:43:40 am »
Here's some prompts for any Saturday drabblers -

• mumble
  • grumble
  • stumble

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #1292 on: May 12, 2007, 10:52:00 am »
July 1988

Bobby reaches squeezes Ennis's neck, then brings his truck up to speed.

"Come ta find out....when Ah went up ta Lightning Flat after yer daddy wuz gone...your grandma....she wuz so nice ta me....had me go up ta yer daddy's old room...found he kept the shirts we wuz warin' that day hidden the the closet all them years...the one Ah got all bloody...and his old blue one...he had it over mine with  the sleeve inside 'n all....kinda like protectin' it ...yer grandma....she let me take them...don't know if she knew they's even there.... but she knew how much those old shirta meant ta me 'n Jack....got 'm up in my closet in Riverton....put mine over his....."

After a few minutes Bobby speaks. "So how....how did  you 'n Pop meet up again?."

Insert to yesterdays drabble
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1293 on: May 12, 2007, 12:22:17 pm »
Good God, Millii - this is . . . well, words fail me.  A Work of Art - in the truest sense.  (and maybe my favorite scene - although I'd probably say that about a lot of scenes to be honest  :)

:-*  Thanks so much, Marie!

Nice prompts for today!  ;)

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1294 on: May 12, 2007, 09:07:51 pm »
(Just had to use Marie's great prompts..)

Another Sunday Morning

(September 1980)
“What did you say?”  Cassie asked Ennis.

“I didn’t say anythin'.”

“I could’ve sworn you said somethin’.”

Ennis stood there looking at her but he didn’t say anything else.  Cassie signed, then went back to the stove where their breakfast was cooking.  That’s what it was like these days.  Ennis barely said anything at all, and when he did he just mumbled.  Not like he said much before, but since he came back from that last trip he said even less.

“It’s ready” Cassie said. “Ya comin' to eat?”

Ennis sat down on the table.  Cassie brought over two plates and the coffee pot and set them on the table.  Then she brought over the pan with the scrambled eggs.

“It’s a beautiful day out” she said as she put the eggs on the plates.  “We oughta go for a ride, and have a picnic for lunch.”

Ennis took his plate and began playing with his eggs. He didn’t answer her. 

“Don’t ya hear anythin’ I say to you anymore? she asked, but it sounded like a grumble.

Ennis looked up from his plate.  He still didn’t eat a bite.  “I don’t know” he mumbled.

Cassie stared at him.  She looked down at her plate but she couldn’t eat a single bite.  Sometimes she just didn’t know anymore.  They sat there like that, playing with their food, without saying anything at all.  But then all of a sudden Ennis got up and walked towards the window, with the bright sun streaming in.  He stood there looking out, as if he was waiting for someone.  Then he walked back to the table, right next to Cassie and began to gently rub her shoulders.  Cassie closed her eyes and leaned back into his gentle hands.

“It is real nice outside” Ennis said softly.  “Why don’t we go for that ride.”

Cassie sighed again. That was just what it was like.

She quickly packed up food for a picnic and they went outside.  Cassie watched him as he walked to the truck ahead of her.  She stumbled down the last step.  She almost fell in a heap, but somehow she caught herself.  She let out a loud gasp.  Ennis didn’t turn around.  Cassie stood there and watched him as he got into the truck.  Ennis finally turned and looked at her.

Cassie let out another long sigh, then got into the truck and Ennis began to drive.  Not a word was said.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #1295 on: May 12, 2007, 09:54:08 pm »
Meanwhile, in Kansas, a combine salesman with a hang over dials a number written on a cocktail napkin he found in his pocket.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1296 on: May 13, 2007, 08:47:18 am »

"Come ta find out....when Ah went up ta Lightning Flat after yer daddy wuz gone...your grandma....she wuz so nice ta me....had me go up ta yer daddy's old room...found he kept the shirts we wuz warin' that day hidden the the closet all them years...the one Ah got all bloody...and his old blue one...he had it over mine with  the sleeve inside 'n all....kinda like protectin' it ...yer grandma....she let me take them...don't know if she knew they's even there.... but she knew how much those old shirta meant ta me 'n Jack....got 'm up in my closet in Riverton....put mine over his....."     

Yeah, she knew - a kind and sensitive woman who passed that on to her son.  Glad Bobby heard about the shirts, Mark. 

Quote from: Cameron link=topic=7810.msg192411#msg192411

. . . .Cassie let out another long sigh, then got into the truck and Ennis began to drive.  Not a word was said.   

Marl, you always hit the right note with Cassie and Ennis.  Frustrated, resigned Cassie getting just enough of a spark at times to keep her going . . . only to be disappointed again by poor Ennis with his heart and mind so far away. 

Meanwhile, in Kansas, a combine salesman with a hang over dials a number written on a cocktail napkin he found in his pocket.

:(    Sad, but insightful, postscript.  Probably so.  Sigh.

Thanks, all
Marie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1297 on: May 13, 2007, 10:18:30 am »
Happy Mothers' Day to moms everywhere!  :-*

How about:

• tender
  • loving
  • care

Marie

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #1298 on: May 13, 2007, 01:19:57 pm »
August 1988

Like the summer so long ago, the long days of hard work, easy companionship drew to an early close. An offer from a large beef firm was accepted in late July before Ennis and Bobby had even finished painting  the farm house. Almost with out warning it was time to leave. Mr.Twist would be moving to Gillette to live with her widowed sister, always close as children and never seeing enough of each other as adults she had been especially looking forward to the move. Bobby and Ennis split Jack's personal things he's left at the ranch, Bobby would be sleeping in his dorm room under the square quilted blanket his grandma sewed for his dad when he was still a little boy, next to his daddy's pictures in the wall, with the old windup alarm clock to wake him. Ennis took the old metal toy pickup truck, "Yer sure ya dont want this son?".... "Naw you take it, that way it'll be like you havin' Pop's first truck an when the new one comes ...his last..." Ennis also got the toy horse an rider. "Ya sure ya don't want this son?" "Naw you take it....I see you pick it up sometimes...'sides he was a rodeo rider when ya met ya." "An he wuz a rodeo rider when he made you!"  "You take it Ennis...wouldn't want anything ta happen ta it at the dorms....it yours." The two divided up Jack's jeans, shirts, jackets and boots he uesd on the ranch. Mr' Twist took the shoes of the little boy she had mothered.

Now standing by their pickups, Ennis's with the new horse trailer with the two horses he a Bobby had ridden all summer that he would care for, bed loaded with Jack's dresser, Bobby;s with his daddy's desk, Mr's twist belongings. "Sure thank you fer comin' up ta he help out this summer...don't know what I'd done without.... " Bobby becoming silent  realizing he doesn't know when he will see Ennis again.

"Wuz nothin'....glad to...." Ennis looks down hardly able to speak. Standing there in silence with no one behind him he feels the gentle touch on his shoulder.

"Bobby...."

".....Yeah Ennis" Bobby looks up.

"You....you figure on graduating that school yer goin' to?"

"...Yep....sure plan to...."

"You.....you be goin ta the graduation?"

"I...I expect so....you...you wanna come?" Bobby looking directly at Ennis eyebrows pleading.

"Ah... Ah be there son." Ennis looks back down. Gentle warm touch on his shoulder......soft whisper....'Ennis....'

"You....you think ya might be gettin' married someday son?"

"Sure...sure hope to....raise a family....you'll .....you'll come?"

Ennis hardly able to speak nods affirming. Touch on his shoulder, warmth on his neck....whisper.....'Ennis.......'

"You......."

"Ennis...?"

"You .....you gonna be workin' fer Newsome next summer?"

"I...I guess....."

"Oh...." Ennis looks down silent. then. "Ah ...Ah reckon it pays pretty good....."

"Yeah......but......" Bobby looking toward Ennis.

Ennis looks at the ground beneath his feet...soft touch on his shoulder and neck....the soft voice 'Ennis....Ennis'

"Well....guess ya might not .....want......"  tug on his ear....'Ennis'......

"What....what is it .....Ennis....?"

"Umm...if...Ah mean if ....ya wanted to....Ah could get ya a job ....working on a ranch...with me next summer...when your off school  an all....but don't pay much......"

Bobby grabs Ennis by his arms. "You...you mean it Ennis?......workin' with you on a ranch?....me 'n you?"

"Sure.....but ...just don't pay much is all...."

"Don't ....matter none Ennis.....long as I get ........"

"So....you will?" Ennis brightining up.

"Would I?....wont be able ta keep me away...."

"Ah ...ah'll take care of it then....you ...you just be concentratin' on school...fer now...ya here son?"

"Yes sir....Ennis." Bobby squeezing his uncle in a tight embrace.

"Umm...almost forgot.....have somethin' fer ya...." Ennis reaches into the cab of his old pickup, pulls out an envelope gives it to Bobby. Bobby opens it finding twenty postcards of various sites of Wyoming, turning one to the backside he finds as they all are stamped and addressed to Ennis del Mar. Bobby looks to Ennis. "Son....you be writtin' regular ya hear?...better not be lettin' more 'n two weeks go by without hearin' from ya ....understand?"

"Yes sir.....Ennis."

"An on that first one....ya be givin' me yer address at that school so Ah c'n write back ....ya hear? An ah wanna be hearing 'bout yer grades in all...be studin' what ya want....when ya get ta the last one ...let me know ...send out some more"

"Yes ...sir....Ennis"

"An you be behavin' yerself st that school....ya hear me son......don't be doin' nothin' ...ta hav'ta settle early....understand?...."

"Yes sir.....Ennis....thanks.....thanks fer comin'.....sure glad I stopped ta see ya on the way up."

"...Me too...son......me too."

With no more else to say the pair lock into a final hug, then Ennis kissing Mrs. Twist on the cheek hugs her. "Thanks fer cookin' us all 'm meals ma'am."

"My pleasure....you...'n Bobby...you be comin' up ta see us next summer....ya hear?"

"Yes ma'am."

Each taking a moment for one last look at the ranch, for all the life that came from this lonely place, silently climbing into the two pickups an begin a new journey.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 10:40:29 pm by jpwagoneer1964 »
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #1299 on: May 13, 2007, 02:56:52 pm »
July 1988

Bobby reaches squeezes Ennis's neck, then brings his truck up to speed.

After a few minutes Bobby speaks. "So how....how did  you 'n Pop meet up again?."

Insert to yesterdays drabble

Great ending to this wonderful summer of joined and shared love. 

Beautiful mind