Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1203889 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #1330 on: May 16, 2007, 08:01:57 am »
Morning all,

Try these today:

• muffin tin
  • lily of the valley
  • baby powder

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1331 on: May 16, 2007, 02:07:45 pm »
Months later, I finally decide to start reading the drabble thread!  I am only starting on pg. 90 - so I hope there are more to follow.  Maybe I'll write something one day.  Mostly, I'm just posting this so the thread will show up on my "new replies posted" thingy so I don't have to search it out, cause I'm lazy!

(I'm so glad folks are still writing though, I must say.) 

Hey, there!  Nice to see you here.  Long time no talk!  ("cause I'm lazy!" -   you're funny :laugh:Adiabatic has been generously maintaining a wonderful archive on LJ of all the drabbles that might make it easier for you.  If you haven't seen it, here's the link :  http://community.livejournal.com/bbmdrabblefest/

. . . .
“’Partner’ … always like it when ya call me that, Enn, makes me real proud, to be yer partner.” Jack’s eyes reflected the joy his words conveyed.   

Nice job, again, cwby.  It's always interesting to see that the same prompts can inspire so much creativity in so many different ways. 

Kind of anxious to see how "muffin tin" will be used!  :)

Thanks,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1332 on: May 16, 2007, 02:50:24 pm »
Thats no dabble! Thats beauty!
OMG I loved that. Brought tears to my eyes.
A lot of these stories do but this one, this one feels like me!
Thanks

Always lovely to hear from you Lee!
Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!  :)

Hugs,
~M

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1333 on: May 16, 2007, 07:30:36 pm »
I went over, but here is my dabble... :)

Ten cents on hope..

He sat at the edge of the bed and watched his wife nurse their little infant.  When he started to cry a little, she laid him down and removed his soiled, soggy diaper.  She cleaned him gently and powdered his little bottom before putting on a fresh diaper.  Soon he was fast asleep in her arms.  He smiled and kissed her forehead as the baby slept soundly in her arms…

He had never really wanted children.  But things with Lureen had happened so quickly.  Before he’d known what was happening, she was pregnant and a wedding followed soon after.  Now he had secured a job with his father-in-law, he had a beautiful wife and healthy baby boy.  He had accomplished more than he thought he would’ve by this point in his life.  He wanted to be proud of his new family and everything he’d achieved thus far, but he couldn’t shake the nagging feelings of emptiness and regret.  Thoughts of that summer a few years ago lingered; along with the recurring memories of the one he still loved.

She was starting to nod off, the baby still in her arms when he left the room and closed the door.  Fayette was busy in the kitchen, pouring thick chocolate batter into a muffin tin; L.D. was dozing off on the living room sofa.  Jack grabbed the keys to his truck and escaped out the front door.

He sat in his truck for a few moments.  Today was one of those desperate days when he felt like he was suffocating; one of the growing number of days when he entertained the idea of driving away, to nowhere in particular..  He rubbed his forehead vigorously, as if the act would magically crush the throbbing headache that tortured him.  He started the engine and got on the road.  He was driving around in town when he passed by the post office.  He parked by the road and sat in his truck, trying to make up his mind.. 

There was a line up when he walked into the post office.  He sighed and was about to leave when he saw the postcard on the rack by the door.  He picked it up and looked at the picture on the front; it was like an omen.  He had been driving around for half an hour, the familiar questions flooding his mind…What to do?  What to do about him?   Does he think of me?  Does he even remember me?  What if I send a letter?  Should I?  What if I find him?  What if I don’t?  What then?   

Somehow, this little postcard presented a quiet answer.  He held onto it and got in line, hoping that it would turn out to be the best 10 cents he ever spent..

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #1334 on: May 16, 2007, 07:39:10 pm »
hoping that it would turn out to be the best 10 cents he ever spent..

Boy was it!
Another great story!  ;D
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1335 on: May 16, 2007, 07:47:05 pm »
(I have one too....)

The Bouquet

(July 1984)
Cassie took the old bible out of the drawer in her night table.  She sat down on the bed.  The bible opened right to the page that held the two pieces of paper with the lily of the valley pressed between them.  She lifted the top sheet up.  The lily of the valley was all dry and flat now.  She wanted to touch it, she wanted to hold it, but she didn’t.  She was too afraid that the dried out flower would just disintegrate.  Cassie lifted the book to her face.  She closed her eyes and breathed deeply.  She imagined that she could still smell the little bouquet of flowers. 

Cassie closed the bible and smoothed the cover.  She didn’t read it much, but she had put the flower there because she wanted to make sure that it would be in a book that she would never give away.   It once was her grandmother’s bible, Momma gave it to her the day she turned eighteen.  Cassie remembered that day.  She had just come out of the shower and she had put on baby powder, when Momma came into her room.  She said it was time for her to have the bible.  Cassie remembered how she held it to her heart.  She had imagined that one day she would write her wedding day in it and then the names of her children.  That day was so long ago.

Ennis had given her the flowers.  He wasn’t supposed to come over, but one evening there was a knock on her door.  Ennis was standing there, with a bouquet of flowers in his hand.  It was a small bouquet, with some yellow and white daisies and the lily of the valley.

"Just wanted to bring you this” he said.

Cassie took the flowers in her hand, and she looked up at Ennis.  “What for?” she asked.

“No reason” he said.

“Are you comin’ in?  I’ll make you dinner.”

“Naw, he said.  I gotta go, I’m leavin’ real early in the mornin’.”

“Where ya goin’?  she asked him, but she had already known.

“Fishin’”  Ennis said.  Then he gave her a sweet kiss on the lips and turned around and left.

Cassie remembered standing there watching him drive away.   She remembered holding the flowers for a very long time.  It was just so unlike him.  She never knew what got into him that day.  That was the first time he ever gave her flowers.  She didn’t know then that it would be the only time.  Cassie put the bible back in the drawer.  She went back to the kitchen and took the muffins that she was baking out of the oven.  She sat down at the table, and put her head down in her hands.

She didn’t know that day, when she was holding the flowers, that it would never be the same again.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 09:32:17 pm by Cameron »

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1336 on: May 16, 2007, 08:11:22 pm »

. . . He picked it up and looked at the picture on the front; it was like an omen.  . . .

Sometimes we can turn the smallest things into an "omen," can't we? . . . when the answer is already in our heart . . and we just to need to convince our mind.  What a great insight.

. . . She wanted to touch it, she wanted to hold it, but she didn’t.  She was too afraid that the dried out flower would just disintegrate.  . . . 

To grasp it too tightly would destroy it. . . . what a perfect metaphor.  That's just superb, Marl. 

Thanks,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1337 on: May 16, 2007, 08:35:14 pm »
Sometimes we can turn the smallest things into an "omen," can't we? . . . when the answer is already in our heart . . and we just to need to convince our mind.  What a great insight.

Absolutely, M!  He already knew what he had to do ... a little "inspiration" in the form of simple mountain scenery was all he needed..  :)
Thank you!

Boy was it!
Another great story!  ;D

Cheers Lee!  ;)

~M

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #1338 on: May 16, 2007, 09:47:59 pm »

Ten cents on hope..

Mill - that was great!

Random annoying question - how do you pronounce "Fayette" in your head.  I went to "Lafayette" high school.  And also once lived near Lafayette, Alabama - both with vastly different pronunciations, so just wondered your take...

8)
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #1339 on: May 16, 2007, 09:50:21 pm »
(I have one too....)

The Bouquet

:(

I like reading about Cassie...

(just to clarify - that's good sad, not bad sad)
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger