Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1204979 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #1380 on: May 29, 2007, 11:27:35 am »
Yep - I agree, Marl.  Hope all of you with a long weekend enjoyed it!   Let's see if these prompts can get anything going:

• ice cold beer
  • sunburn
  • laughter

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1381 on: May 29, 2007, 05:31:46 pm »
Fire and Ice

He pulled into the parking lot and looked at his watch.  He was tired and still had a couple hours of driving ahead - a cold drink and a quick pit stop would do him good. His eyes scanned the bar as he closed the door behind him but it was Saturday evening and not an empty stool in sight.  He winced slightly and shook his head as he took his seat at a small table in the corner, thinking, "damn."

"What can I get ya?"  The waitress appeared, looking tired as she wiped her brow and tucked her hair behind her ear, but she couldn't help but smile at the beautiful blue eyes looking up at her. 

"Ice cold beer, ma'am, if ya please."

He settled back in his chair, squirming slightly, nodding a thanks to the waitress when she returned.  "Can't believe we did that," he thought to himself, taking a long gulp and letting his mind wander back to the previous day.  Falling asleep outside in the middle of the afternoon, bare-ass naked, under the blazing sun.  He shook his head, this time with a big grin on his face as he remembered exactly why they had both fallen so soundly asleep so quickly, only to wake up an hour later with matching sunburns.

"I knew that beer would put a big smile on your face," the waitress laughed as she hurried by with a tray.  "Sometimes there ain't nothing better."

"No, ma'am - sure ain't nothing better."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
252 words
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1382 on: May 29, 2007, 05:43:16 pm »
I been MIA for a while.. but I got a light dabble to share.. :)
Wonderful to see you drabble again, Marie!  ;)

In the pine’s shadow..

Jack took a swig of his ice cold beer and sighed contentedly.  He leaned heavily against the trunk of the great pine tree and enjoyed the cool breeze in the shady spot where they sat.   Ennis was lying beside him, his head resting in Jack’s lap leisurely.

“Me and you,” Jack said, his voice low.  “Jus’ the two of us...  We should go to Mexico one of these days.  We could go to the beach and lie in the sun all day.  We could -”

“You’d probably get sunburn on yer white ass,” Ennis mumbled and laughed.

“We won’t be bare-ass, dummy!  We could swim, relax and basically sit in our sombreros all day long,” Jack smiled, his eyes lost in the distance, picturing the scene.

“We would sit in our somber-what?”

“Sombreros, Ennis.. It’s a big hat that Mexicans wear.”

“Why can’t we just wear our normal cowboy hats?”

“We could Ennis, but when in Rome…” Jack smiled and took another swig of his beer.

“Whut are ya talking about Rome for?  I thought ya mentioned Mexico..!”

“Shut up Ennis!”  Jack tossed his empty beer bottle on the ground beside them and lowered his lips to Ennis’, kissing him deeply.  Ennis responded eagerly and wrapped an arm around Jack’s waist.  He broke the kiss and sat up, running keen hands on Jack’s bare chest.  He buried his head in Jack’s neck and sucked on the warm flesh; Jack sighed, temporarily speechless.  Ennis’ left hand found Jack’s fly and unzipped it, all the while seeking his mouth hungrily.

“Bet we can’t do this on a beach in Rome, can we Jack?” Ennis whispered hotly in Jack’s ear.

“Fuck Rome…” Jack breathed, pressing his body into Ennis’ welcoming arms.

“Not Rome… you.” Ennis smiled, tracing his tongue on Jack’s bottom lip before giving in to the sensuous kiss Jack planted firmly on his lips.

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1383 on: May 29, 2007, 07:50:52 pm »
Marie,  its such to treat to get a drabble from you, wonderful!!!!!

M,  glad you see you back here today, wonderful of course, too!!!!

:) :) :)

Marl

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #1384 on: May 29, 2007, 08:36:55 pm »
Nice to read all your drabbles fellow brokies.  i can get enough of Ennis and Jack... 8) Sad or happy.

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1385 on: May 29, 2007, 09:15:21 pm »

The Sunny Afternoon

(August 1979)
“Ya wanna nice ice cold beer, cowboy?” Cassie asked Ennis.

“Yep” he answered, not moving from the bed.

Cassie got up, put on Ennis’ shirt and went to the kitchen to get two beers.  When she got back to the bed, Ennis was sitting up, the hairs on his chest was glistening in the sun streaming in from the window.  He had a faint smile on his face.

“Here ya are, cowboy” Cassie said, giving Ennis the beer.

“Thank you” he said, as she snuggled up next to him.

It was still early, just two in the afternoon.  They had gone back to bed not long after they got up.  Cassie stared at him, smiling at him and to herself.  For so long she had dreamed of a day just like this.

“What are we goin’ to do today?  We oughta go out, it’s such a beautiful day” Cassie said, kissing his cheek.

“I dunno” Ennis replied.  “We could stay right here.”

Cassie stared at him, she was almost in complete disbelief.  He never had acted like this before.  “I guess so” she said “at least we won’t get any sunburn.”

They silently drank their beers.  Suddenly Cassie started to laugh, her laughter filled the room, with the bright sun streaming in all around them.   Ennis stared at her, then he put his arm around her.  “Whadya laughing at?”  Ennis asked.

“Nothin’ really” Cassie said slowly.  “Just thinking, sometimes….”    But she buried her face in the nape of his neck, she didn’t say more.  She was afraid more talking would just break the spell.

Ennis smiled too.  A big broad smile.  But Cassie had no idea of what he was really smiling about.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1386 on: May 29, 2007, 11:44:40 pm »
. .  .
“You’d probably get sunburn on yer white ass,” Ennis mumbled and laughed. . . .

:laugh:;) , and  :-*  !  (and the "somber-what?" is priceless!)

. . .  i can't get enough of Ennis and Jack... 8) Sad or happy.

We know just how you feel, dev!  :)

. . .   She was afraid more talking would just break the spell.

Ennis smiled too.  A big broad smile.  But Cassie had no idea of what he was really smiling about.   

Excellent, Marl.  That really sums up their relationship, doesn't it?  I have a soft spot for Cassie and always look forward to hearing from her.  (I'm glad you liked my little offering today - thanks!  :) )

Marie

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1387 on: May 30, 2007, 12:03:59 am »
Thank you so much Marie, I am so glad that you enjoy my Cassie drabbles.
Looking forward to more drabbles from you. :)

Marl

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1388 on: May 30, 2007, 12:56:06 pm »
Hiya folks - how do these sound:

• earth shoes
  • yoga
  • avocado green

Marie

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #1389 on: May 31, 2007, 01:10:12 pm »
Fire and Ice

"No, ma'am - sure ain't nothing better."

Excellent job Marie!!!!!
Look forward to writing more, still in Denver after the 2007BBQ, can hardly stand the thought of going  back to San Diego. We got to stay at the Double Tree Hotel were E and J spent their anniversary in 'SHIRTS... Will start the next chapter of 'SHIRTS.....' soon maybe tomorrow.

Mark
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 01:24:05 pm by jpwagoneer1964 »
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.