Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1204674 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #1390 on: May 31, 2007, 06:06:38 pm »
Excellent job Marie!!!!!
Look forward to writing more, still in Denver after the 2007BBQ, can hardly stand the thought of going  back to San Diego. We got to stay at the Double Tree Hotel were E and J spent their anniversary in 'SHIRTS... Will start the next chapter of 'SHIRTS.....' soon maybe tomorrow.

Mark

Thanks, Mark!  Great to see ya, bud.  That is so cool that you stayed at the Double Tree.  I hope that means we'll get more pictures with the next chapter of SHIRTS.  Looking forward to it!  Safe travels!   :)

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #1391 on: June 01, 2007, 10:13:06 am »
April 1981

Ennis thinking to himself: This is whut Ah hate most...having ta leave....can't even look at 'm...might start bawlin' up right here..c'n hardly talk...don't say much at all. When I grab on ta him, hiding my face... don't wanna let go....knowin' be the last ...till.... Only thing that makes it ok is will be together again in August.

Jack to himself: Sh*t, cant stand this!  Only a few more minutes with Ennis till... Wish we could just stay here ferever...just hate him havin' ta go back ta Riverton. Can't even look at his face...start cryin' my eyes out. Hate ta even grab on ta him squeeziing our guts out ...knowin' when I let go be the last till....only way I c'n get through this is that we'll be together in August.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 08:54:12 am by jpwagoneer1964 »
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #1392 on: June 01, 2007, 10:49:39 am »
Hi Drabblers, just stopping in to say that the DrabbleFest thread is being higlighted on the banner today.  Thanks, atz75 and ifyoucantfixit, for suggesting it.  Clarissa

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1393 on: June 01, 2007, 12:31:55 pm »
April 1981

Ennis thinking to himself: This is whut Ah hate most...having ta leave....can't even look at 'm...

Jack to himself: Sh*t, cant stand this!  Only a few more minutes with Ennis till... Wish we could just stay here ferever...

What perfect words for that picture, Mark!  I can hear their voices.

Hi Drabblers, just stopping in to say that the DrabbleFest thread is being higlighted on the banner today.  Thanks, atz75 and ifyoucantfixit, for suggesting it.  Clarissa 

Cool!  Thanks for heads-up, Clarissa.  And thanks to Amanda and Janice - great idea!

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1394 on: June 01, 2007, 12:50:17 pm »
Let's see if I can come up with some prompts to inspire some creativity:

• forty winks
  • dizzy drunk
  • hard punch

Marie

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1395 on: June 01, 2007, 08:05:02 pm »
A Long Night

(March 1981)
Cassie had never seen him like this before.  Ennis had come to her door, banging it at one o'clock in the morning.  She woke with a start, scared by the loud pounding.  She quickly put on her robe and went to the door.  She opened it just a crack.  At first she was relieved to see that it was Ennis, but then her fear suddenly rose again.  She could smell his breath, she could tell that he was drunk, dizzy drunk, right away.  In the three years that she had been going with him she never ever saw him like this before.

“Ennis, what’s goin’ on?” she asked.

“Doncha wanna go dancin’?” he mumbled.

“You’re drunk, I ain’t never seen ya like this” she said warily.

“Come on, let’s go dancin’, you always wanna go dancin’” he said, mumbling and slurring the words.

“Ennis, what’s the matter with you?” she asked with alarm.

Cassie took his arm and led him inside.  She helped him to the sofa, and then went to the kitchen and hurriedly began fixing some coffee.  She kept shaking her head and felt her nerves on end.  She had never ever seen him like this before.  As the water was boiling she went to check on him.  He was still there on the sofa, holding his head in his hands.  She poured the coffee and went back to sit beside him.

“Ennis, I made some coffee for you” she said in a real soft voice.

He shook his head. “I don’t need no coffee, just need some sleep.  If  I had forty winks, I’ll be alright” he said.  Cassie held out the coffee.  Ennis took it with shaking hands.  She put her arm around him and gently rubbed his back.

“Hey, what’s goin’ on?” Cassie gently asked.

Ennis turned and looked at her.  “You won’t understand, you can’t understand” he said.  He stared at her.  Cassie looked down, something about the way he looked at her left her feeling real strange, almost like she just got a hard punch in the gut.  She had never felt like this before.   As hard as it had been, in all that time, she never had felt anything like this.

Ennis put the coffee cup down, and before she had a chance to stop him, he was out the door.  Cassie ran to the door and looked outside but he was gone, there was no sign of him at all. 

Cassie went back to the couch and sat there, shaking, the rest of the night. 

« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 08:53:11 pm by Cameron »

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1396 on: June 03, 2007, 11:39:41 am »
A Long Night

(March 1981)
. . . .
Ennis turned and looked at her.  “You won’t understand, you can’t understand” he said.  He stared at her.  Cassie looked down, something about the way he looked at her left her feeling real strange, almost like she just got a hard punch in the gut.  She had never felt like this before.   As hard as it had been, in all that time, she never had felt anything like this.  . . .

Great use of that prompt, Marl.  That's the worst kind of hard punch.  Hope to hear more from Cassie.  Has Tom been saying anything lately? 

Thanks,
Marie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1397 on: June 03, 2007, 11:46:10 am »
Hope y'all are having a relaxing Sunday!  Let's see if anyone wants to take these for a spin:

• romance novel
  • monotonous
  • exotic

Marie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1398 on: June 03, 2007, 04:55:20 pm »
Real Life

She had seen this coming, of course; everyone was expecting it. She knew what she needed to do, what she needed to say.  Why wouldn't the words come?  She stared out the window at the dusty road, spotted a storm cloud in the distance.   "For goodness sake, girl, pull yourself together," she thought with irritation. Real life wasn't like those cheap romance novels set in exotic places where life was never monotonous or unfair, where true love conquered all and everyone lived happily ever after.  If anyone knew that, she did. She took a deep breath, determined to blink away the tears threatening to spill out, and forced a tight smile on her face as she turned.

"Yes, Monroe, I'll marry you."

~~~~~~~~~~~
122 words

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1399 on: June 03, 2007, 08:21:34 pm »
Marie, that is wonderful!!!! You are an awesome drabbler!!! :D

Thank You,

Marl