Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1183474 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #1400 on: June 04, 2007, 01:49:21 pm »
How about these off the top of my head . . .

• hide
  • seek

Marie

(Marl -  :-*  )
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #1401 on: June 05, 2007, 01:55:05 am »
Real Life

She had seen this coming, of course; everyone was expecting it. She knew what she needed to do, what she needed to say.  Why wouldn't the words come?  She stared out the window at the dusty road, spotted a storm cloud in the distance.   "For goodness sake, girl, pull yourself together," she thought with irritation. Real life wasn't like those cheap romance novels set in exotic places where life was never monotonous or unfair, where true love conquered all and everyone lived happily ever after.  If anyone knew that, she did. She took a deep breath, determined to blink away the tears threatening to spill out, and forced a tight smile on her face as she turned.

"Yes, Monroe, I'll marry you."

~~~~~~~~~~~
122 words

That was very good Marie. Poor Alma, that 'tight smile' is just so sad.  :(
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #1402 on: June 05, 2007, 10:24:38 am »

Both were just 19 when they first laid eyes on each other by the old office trailer in Signal.

19 miles they were driven from signal to the drop off point the next day, to begin the summer hearding sheep.

19 hours later, sheep pastured, camp set up, the two fell into a deep sleep side by side in a canvas tent. In the days  that followed two young men came into an easy, familar campanionship each would only know with the other, campfire stories of bull riding, tails of growing up orphaned,raised by an older brother and sister who now had lives of their own .

On the 19th day one man returned to camp to find the other gone not returning from packing in supplies. No sign of him, the minutes and hours passed by, a well of fear rose to the one by the fire only slightly tempered by the whisky, on the brink of tears, something bad must have happen to keep the one so steady away. Hours after dark the exhale of the horses breath is heard with the hoofs on the ground and a gentle command to halt. With a voice almost shaking one spoke "Where the hell ya been? Came down fron the sheep...no supper?" and then he saw the bloodied face of his friend. "What the hell happened Ennis?" A rag was soaked in hot water offered for comfort. "Came upon a bear is what happen'd...mule scatteered...lost most of the food....beans 'bout all we got." An elk was shot the next morning, that nite much hungered for sustanence eaten in conforting silence side by side in the lite of the fire.

19 days and 11 more from the time they met, a cold nite by the fire, singing songs of the Pentecost, shared bottle of whisky, the herder proclaimed it was too late to ride to the sheep...sleep by the fire against warnings of "You'll freeze your ass of once that fire dies down."  later shivering to the bone his friend called out. "Ennis...quit yer hammerein' 'n get you ass in here!" On that cold nite each found new life in the other, hardly imagined before by either.

19 years, almost 20 would bring on the last time the pair of men would ever meet. Reunited by a five cent postcard four years after that summer, the two men would meet two mosly three times a year, one asking for the sweet life together, the other saying it just can't be but wishing for it just as much.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 01:35:39 pm by jpwagoneer1964 »
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline cwby30

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #1403 on: June 05, 2007, 10:39:46 am »
Mornin', jp.

That was great. The number 19.

Thanks.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #1404 on: June 05, 2007, 10:40:12 am »
JP,
That was beautiful!
Bittersweet but beautiful none the less!
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1405 on: June 05, 2007, 10:46:38 am »
. . . .  Poor Alma, that 'tight smile' is just so sad.  :( 

Yep.  Sigh.  Poor everybody.   :(  Thanks, Fabienne.

. . . .On that cold nite each found new life in the other, hardly imagined before by either.

19 years, almost 20 would bring on the last time the pair of men would ever meet. Reunited by a five cent postcard four years after that summer, the two men would meet two mosly three times a year, one asking for the sweet life together, the other saying it just can't be but wishing for it just as much. 

Mark, that may be your most beautiful drabble ever - and that's saying something.  Thank you, too, for always showing us how much Jack and Ennis loved each other. 

Gotta dash - I'll be back!

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #1406 on: June 05, 2007, 10:57:21 am »
Thanks everyone! Still out of town but found a pic on my Photobucket that's perfect!
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1407 on: June 05, 2007, 11:17:20 am »

I read somewhere Mark, that the greek gods would take vengeance on those whom they envied..because they were too beautiful, or had too great a love.  So I guess the gods had two reasons to be jealous of Jack and Ennis.  They had a sparkling and brilliantly electric love, and the beauty of body and face.  The fates had to doom them forever because of that...........jealousy??    A terrible thing

Beautiful mind

Offline cwby30

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #1408 on: June 05, 2007, 11:45:42 am »

Marla the Mystic of the Midway told me that night, after our big fight, when the girls and me went to the Fair. She added up the numbers, and didn't like what she saw. I didn't neither.

We were 19 when we met and parted. 4 years, 3 kids, 2 wives later we had 1 week together, countin' that first night in room 11 at the Siesta. 19.

19 years of knowin' each other, fishin' in the mountains, playin' hide 'n seek with our real selves, and now further apart than Wyomin to Texas ever was.

Add 19 together, and you get 10. Add that together, and you get 1. Me. 1. Alone.

Took me 19 hours to find his house in Childress, less than that to pack up and leave. Took us just 19 days to find our place, about 19 miles outside of Dubois. Been here comin' on 19 years now.

Never did see Marla the Mystic after that first time. Know she was wrong, you know. Add up 19 and 19, and you get 38. Add that together and you get 11.  Add that and you get 2. Me 'n jack.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1409 on: June 05, 2007, 11:59:33 am »
Jack, I love this. Very clever with the numbers! Thanks for writing for the drabblefest...

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!