Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1203159 times)

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #1540 on: June 24, 2007, 09:17:18 pm »
                                          You Bet
     The television was on.  Some NFL game or other.  He wasn't paying it any mind.  Not something he really cared about anyway.  He left it on for Bobby.  He seemed to sleep better with the tv on.  It was ok, he didn't mind it too much.  It was as good as anything he figured.  He really couldn't watch televesion much, couldn't keep his mind on it very long at a time. 
     All he could think about was that card.  The card he had received from Ennis.  Two little words
just like him.  A man that never says much.  More grunts and groans than a language come'n from his mouth.  "Yup, nope, sure, a'right."  Those were long sentances comin from him.  So two words written down on one small card.. Was most like a Shakespeares speach.  "You Bet."  Two little words that made Jack's heart and body jerk alive.  Made his dick shiver.  Made him come alive.  After four long years.  He was finally getting to see Ennis again. 
      He thought back to the first time he ever saw Ennis.  He was driving his old black GMC truck, over to Aguirres trailer.  He was hoping there would be work for him.  He passed by a freight train as he came up to that ratty old trailer.  He pulled in to that parking lot.  That dang ol truck sputtin
and lurchin,  jerking to a halt.  Finally blowing out the carburator, and settling.  He was so fed up with dealin with that old piece of crap.  He got out of the truck and just took his frustrations out on its ass end.  Kicked the drivers side rear fender.  \
       Then he glanced out of the corner of his eyes, and saw Ennis standing there.  He figured he was done for.  Another guy was going to get the job, he had driven all the way down to Signal to get.  He was late because the danged old truck made hiim stop twice to put water in the damned radiator.  Sumbitch never did run right.  Even when he got rid of the dern thing.. still a piece of shit.  But oh my!!! That boy was a looker.  Tall and lean, and even if he did have his head down, he could see that.  He was probably the best looking cowboy he ever did see.  His heart was sure enough thumpin.  Then Aguirre came drivin up, nearly runnin over him.  I was still worried about the job.  Which one of us was gonna get it.  I know he was here first.  But I needed that job somethin fierce.  I needed the money, but I also needed a break from being around my daddy.  I figured the Army was gonna get me.  I didn't want to spend the last of my time as a civilian, with my daddy ridin my ass ever minute of the day and night. 
        Then we got a job for both  of us.  I found he was the greatest friend I could have ever had.  I didn't spect to get a friend up there on that job.  Spending the summer up on that mountain with a thousand sheep. Those dogs, the horses. the mules, and Ennis.  Was a surprisin
summer to be for sure.  I not only got me a great friend, but I loved that boy something fierce.
He seemed to like me a lot too.  But when we came down off a that mountain.  He said he was gonna go on and get married to his girlfriend.  Alma I think he said her name was.  I spose he did
that.  Never heard from him again.  Went back next summer and Aguirre said he hadn't been around...let me know he saw us...so wouldn't hire me back neither. 
        Then I figured I need to find out if he did get married or not.  If he would like to see me again or not.  I sure as hell don't like the situation i got here.  I might leave her and go and get a place for us if he would agree to it.  Sure would be some sweet life.  Some sweet life.. Ennis and me.  I sent that card to seven different towns.  Coming thru on the 24th wondered if you were there.  Drop me a line say if you're there.  Then that card came back from him.  All it said was "You bet."  But it was like a bolt from God.  I'll be heading up there tomorrow, and hope he is as glad to see me.  As I will be to see him..  I think i'll get to bed early Lureen, i'm takin off early in the morning.   Hope to get up to the folks before its too late.  They go to bed real early.  Sure don't wanta give my old man a reason to be pissed.  "Nite honey.  I am sure I will be gone when you get up."

« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 02:52:29 pm by ifyoucantfixit »

Beautiful mind

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1541 on: June 24, 2007, 09:21:43 pm »
(Another late drabble...)

The Sleepless Night

(June 1982)
Ennis tried to sleep, but he couldn’t, not tonight.  Too many questions passing through in his mind.  He got up and went outside.  He sat down on the step and lit up a cigarette.  Everything was still.  Off in the distance he heard a freight train rumbling through, going to distant places.  He closed his eyes, and thought of those distant places, distant places where he had never been.

Even in the stillness there was no peace.  His mind was wandering, filled with images, images of things he didn’t want to imagine.  “Too kinky “ he told himself.  A word he thought he didn’t know, but then he knew that it really wasn’t so.  The last day kept replaying in his mind, over and over and over again.  The fight, the words that were said, the words that were not said.

Ennis closed his eyes and tried not to see Jack’s face, so angry, yelling at him.  He tried to replay the sweeter times.  That first night, the second night, the last evening before he went up to the sheep.  The evening when Jack was standing by the fire, and he wrapped his arms around him, wishing that he could stay there, like that, forever.  But that made him think of that last moment together, when that image had flashed in his mind.

Ennis got up went back inside.  He sat down at the little table, and put his head down in his arms, but the questions were still swirling around in his mind.  He raised his head again, and rubbed his eyes.  He pushed aside all those notes from Cassie, so many of them.  He knew it wasn’t to be, despite spending so much time pretending it was.  Ennis got up and poured himself a drink.  He sat back down.  He just couldn’t stop thinking about that last time, being in Jack’s arms, all the fear and the shock, not knowing what was and what was to be.  He went to the drawer and found the empty postcard.  He found a pen, sat back down, and slowly began to write.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #1542 on: June 24, 2007, 09:23:42 pm »

I liked that LittleWing.  very funny.. and short, as a drabble should be.  I kinda got carried away.  It is my longest one ever.  My was more of a double drubble.

Beautiful mind

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #1543 on: June 24, 2007, 09:37:07 pm »

Very sad Marl.  So sad.  great as usual.                                     janice

Beautiful mind

Offline haunted_by_bbm

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • "didn't know we was gonna get into this again..."
    • Panels of the Dream: Brokeback Mountain Stories
« Reply #1544 on: June 24, 2007, 10:37:29 pm »
Girl, that's mean (and kinky).

Merrily

::)
"The room stank of semen and smoke and sweat and whiskey, of old carpet and sour hay, saddle leather, shit and cheap soap.  Ennis lay spread-eagled, spent and wet, breathing deep, still half tumescent, Jack blowing forceful cigarette clouds like whale spouts..." – Annie Proulx

Dagi

« Reply #1545 on: June 25, 2007, 07:08:29 am »
Kinky 

“Aint gonna do it!” 

“Ennis…”

“No!

“Shit...don’t see why you gotta get all upset ‘bout it.  Was just an idea.”

“Aint right!  Aint normal!!  Aint the way it’s s’posed to be!!!” 

“Just a little fun.  Aint no big deal.”   

“NO!” 

“Why?”

“Cuz it’s…it’s…it’s fuckin’ kinky, that’s why!” 

“Aint nobody’s business but ours!”   

“Shit!”

“Well, fuck it then. Hell with you!  Was just tryin’ to keep things interestin’.  Tryin’ to spice things up is all.”

Ennis sighed, finally giving up completely. 

“And why exactly does spicin’  things up have to include salsa on my dick?”   

Jack smiled, reaching for the jar.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

100 Words 

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Great.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1546 on: June 25, 2007, 07:58:58 am »
The Siesta Motel
June, 1967

"Oh holy fuck!" shouted Ennis, as he collapsed on top of Jack, his chest sweaty and heaving.

Jack lay under the onslaught for a minute, then turned his head slightly. "You came like a fuckin freight train, boy."

"Yeah, I did," panted Ennis, his voice shaky. "What 'bout you?"

"I did too, like a train comin through."

"Oh fuck."

"You can say that again."

(57 words)

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline haunted_by_bbm

« Reply #1547 on: June 25, 2007, 12:42:18 pm »
"The room stank of semen and smoke and sweat and whiskey, of old carpet and sour hay, saddle leather, shit and cheap soap.  Ennis lay spread-eagled, spent and wet, breathing deep, still half tumescent, Jack blowing forceful cigarette clouds like whale spouts..." – Annie Proulx

Offline haunted_by_bbm

« Reply #1548 on: June 25, 2007, 12:45:50 pm »
The Siesta Motel
June, 1967

"Oh holy fuck!" shouted Ennis, as he collapsed on top of Jack, his chest sweaty and heaving.

Jack lay under the onslaught for a minute, then turned his head slightly. "You came like a fuckin freight train, boy."

"Yeah, I did," panted Ennis, his voice shaky. "What 'bout you?"

"I did too, like a train comin through."

"Oh fuck."

(57 words)

Hi L,    :-*
Very nice.  ;) 
You know this is one of my favorite 'moments.'   hehehe   ;D
C*

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1549 on: June 25, 2007, 12:56:15 pm »
Hey, looks like I missed some great stuff yesterday!

Kinky 
“And why exactly does spicin’  things up have to include salsa on my dick?”   

:o   :o  OMG, Cristine - it is so great to see you here again!  I will never again be able to eat salsa without thinking of this, you know that, don't you?     :laugh: :laugh:

. . . .  But oh my!!! That boy was a looker.  Tall and lean, and even if he did have his head down, he could see that.  He was probably the best looking cowboy he ever did see.  His heart was sure enough thumpin.       

Janice, I could watch this scene over and over again forever, especially the part where Jack says something under his breath - and you know his heart is thumpin' indeed. 

(Another late drabble...)

The Sleepless Night

(June 1982)
.... He just couldn’t stop thinking about that last time, . . ..

Neither can we, Ennis.   :'(  Beautiful, Marl.

Yes, you can - again and again and again - never enough.

Thanks, all
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain