Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1203786 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #1550 on: June 25, 2007, 12:59:12 pm »
How about I throw these out for today -  :)

• foreign
  • flannel
  • frigid

Marie

The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline haunted_by_bbm

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • "didn't know we was gonna get into this again..."
    • Panels of the Dream: Brokeback Mountain Stories
« Reply #1551 on: June 25, 2007, 01:20:16 pm »
{{{{{ :-*  Marie  :-*}}}}}
Feels really good to pop back in.   ;)
"The room stank of semen and smoke and sweat and whiskey, of old carpet and sour hay, saddle leather, shit and cheap soap.  Ennis lay spread-eagled, spent and wet, breathing deep, still half tumescent, Jack blowing forceful cigarette clouds like whale spouts..." – Annie Proulx

Offline haunted_by_bbm

« Reply #1552 on: June 25, 2007, 01:40:14 pm »

Flannel

“What the fuck?”

“Hhmm?”

“What you wearin'?”

“They’s called pajamas, Ennis.”

“What you wearin’ ‘em for?”

“Dunno, just been gettin’ a little cold at night.”

“Hell you say?  Whatcha mean…cold?” 

“Aint no big deal, friend.  We’s just gettin’ a little older.”

“Speak for yourself.” 

“B’sides, they’s kinda comfortable.  Here…feel.”

“hhhmm.  Soft.  What’s that called?”

“They’s flannel.  You like ‘em?”

“Rather have you naked.” 

“Well, they come off too.” 

“Best take care a that, then.  I can keep you warmer than anythin’ this soft…’cept…”

“Whut?”

“You can put ‘em back on when we’s done.  Feel kinda nice.”

“Whatever you say, cowboy.”   

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

100 Words

"The room stank of semen and smoke and sweat and whiskey, of old carpet and sour hay, saddle leather, shit and cheap soap.  Ennis lay spread-eagled, spent and wet, breathing deep, still half tumescent, Jack blowing forceful cigarette clouds like whale spouts..." – Annie Proulx

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1553 on: June 25, 2007, 01:47:36 pm »
Aww, that was cute C*!  :)
Funny, while reading that... I had this picture in mind of Ennis in baby blue flannel PJ's with little puffy clouds all over them..lol.. ;D

Cheers!
~M

Offline haunted_by_bbm

« Reply #1554 on: June 25, 2007, 01:52:22 pm »
Funny, while reading that... I had this picture in mind of Ennis in baby blue flannel PJ's with little puffy clouds all over them..lol.. ;D

Cheers!
~M

~M        lol  ;D    I can't stop laughing at that image.  Just spilled my coffee.   ;)  hehehe    And thanks.  I'm glad you liked it.   
C*

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #1555 on: June 25, 2007, 02:37:35 pm »
Howdy drabblers,

I just cought up with the last pages of this thread. Thank you all for your drabbles. Keep 'em coming!

:)

Offline haunted_by_bbm

« Reply #1556 on: June 25, 2007, 02:44:44 pm »
Hi Cristine.  How cozy in the flannel PJs.  And they come off.

Merrily

;D   Great emoticons.    ;D

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1557 on: June 25, 2007, 05:54:49 pm »

Flannel

. . . .

“You can put ‘em back on when we’s done.  Feel kinda nice.”

:) It's 90 degrees today - but I think I need to get the flannels out tonight! (C, you crack me up - I noticed that you've written two drabbles in a row that are precisely  100 words!) 

Cheers!
~M

Great minds, M  - I had almost the same thought - baby blue flannel PJ's with little puffy sheep all over them . . lol!!!  ;D

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1558 on: June 25, 2007, 06:12:03 pm »
Normal

Francine searched through her drawers looking for her favorite pajamas, needing the comfort of their softness and warmth.  She stopped suddenly, remembering that she'd thrown them in the hamper this morning, sticky with jam, and pulled on a worn nightgown - a hand-me-down from Junior.  She'd had to stay in from recess again today after a night of the awful coughing and wheezing that seemed to worsen with the frigid weather.

"Hey, li'l darlin'."  She smiled and turned at the sound of her daddy's deep voice.  "Feelin' better tonight?"  He stepped into the room and pulled her onto his lap as he sat on the edge of her bed.

The words tumbled out then, how she'd had to stay inside once again, reading a book while the others jumped rope and played hopscotch, how she could feel the looks and hear the whispers when the teacher had reminded her to stay at her desk, how she wondered if there were other girls like her out there somewhere.

"I just want to be normal, Daddy," she whispered.  Her daddy had been rocking her gently as she spoke but he started briefly and she heard him clear his throat.  He wrapped his arms around her from behind, rubbing his chapped cheek against her delicate one, softly humming.  "S'alright, darlin', s'alright."

Her eyes fluttered and closed to the sound of the gentle humming as she leaned back into her daddy's strong arms, their comfort and warmth far, far better than even her favorite flannel pajamas.

~~~~~~
252 words

Offline haunted_by_bbm

« Reply #1559 on: June 25, 2007, 06:23:08 pm »
"I noticed that you've written two drabbles in a row that are precisely  100 words!)"

;)  Very true.  I've been leaning towards the precise definition of a drabble lately.  I find it very exciting to be able to make a point in exactly 100 words.   ;)   (Hard for me, actually.  But I think I'm getting a bit better.)   lol    ;D

C*