Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1204618 times)

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #1600 on: June 28, 2007, 05:53:33 pm »
What an irony - Alma thought when her younger daughter told her she's pregnant. Last spring was Junior's wedding. I'd be so happy if she were pregnant. But no, Francine, her ne'er-do-well offspring let herself getting knocked up.

Now she stood there, at her graduation ceremony, in her cap and gown, her high-school diploma just a few hours old but already dispensable.

"Ennis, we gotta talk."

~64 words~

I loved your outlook Chrissi.  Free association.  the humor and the irony...love that

Beautiful mind

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #1601 on: June 28, 2007, 06:01:51 pm »

When I see those girls with their diplomas.  Wearing those cap and gowns.  I will be the proudest daddy you ever saw.  All the years I worked on those ole ranches.  All those years I was
missin Jack so bad.  I'll never get em back.  I'll never have no alma mater, no diploma, but my little girls.  They will.   I made sure.  They got that education. 
          I seen to it. Made ever one of them child support payments.  Little extry ever now and then too.  When I had it.  But I sure wish Jack coulda seen em... I sure do miss ya Jack.  Yep sure do....

100 wds           

Beautiful mind

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1602 on: June 28, 2007, 06:08:29 pm »
Trying something new here

"drabbling live"
 . . . . .
alma mater - alma matters - loved this wordplay

does alma matter? 

Oh, man I loved "watching" you drabble, Chrissi!  And I can't believe I didn't catch the "alma mater" / Alma connection - and then to see the finished product - just great.   :)

. . . I seen to it. Made ever one of them child support payments.  Little extry ever now and then too.  When I had it.  But I sure wish Jack coulda seen em... I sure do miss ya Jack.  Yep sure do....
 100 wds           

Aww - he sure did make every one of those payments - no matter the hardships.  :'(
And Janice - I see you've joined the "exactly 100 word drabble" club!   ;D

Now I'm wondering if anyone will catch my little homage to Clyde's drabble in my drabble - once I read his, I made a slight change in mine.    ;)  LOL!

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1603 on: June 28, 2007, 07:01:30 pm »
At the Bar

(June 1982)
Ennis sat alone at the bar.  No one else was there.  It was early on a Saturday afternoon.  He slowly drank his beer, and stared straight ahead at the wall. 

“Hey, can’t I get a beer, isn’t there any service around here?”

Ennis jumped at the noise and looked up to find a man sitting right next to him.

“Hey, ya want another one?” the man said.

Ennis shook his head.  The bartender came over, and the man got his beer.

“Today’s my son’s high school graduation” the man said.  “Right now he’s wearing his cap and gown and getting his diploma.”

Ennis looked at him.  “He didn’t want me to go, can ya believe that? the man asked.

Ennis looked at his beer again.

“He doesn’t want to see me anymore” the man continued, “just cause I told him that he’s a …”   But the man didn’t say what he told his son.

Ennis put his dollar on the table and started to get up.  “Hey, where ya goin’?   Don’t go, stay here and drink with me” the man implored.

“Come on, just stay, you got some better place to go?”

Ennis stopped.   He stood there, frozen for a moment.  Then he sat back down.  “Two more beers” the man yelled.  The bartender brought the beers right away.

‘I tell ya,” the man went on, “just can’t stand being all alone, can’t stand it no more.”   

Ennis finished the first beer and pushed the glass aside. “The worse thing there is” the man continued, “nothing worse at all.”

Ennis turned to him, and stared for a moment.  Then he closed his eyes and tightly clenched his hands.   He looked at the man again, and then at the wall.  Then Ennis started drinking the second beer.

Offline haunted_by_bbm

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • "didn't know we was gonna get into this again..."
    • Panels of the Dream: Brokeback Mountain Stories
« Reply #1604 on: June 28, 2007, 07:06:30 pm »
Oh, man I loved "watching" you drabble, Chrissi!  And I can't believe I didn't catch the "alma mater" / Alma connection - and then to see the finished product - just great.   :)

Aww - he sure did make every one of those payments - no matter the hardships.  :'(
And Janice - I see you've joined the "exactly 100 word drabble" club!   ;D

Now I'm wondering if anyone will catch my little homage to Clyde's drabble in my drabble - once I read his, I made a slight change in mine.    ;)  LOL!

Marie

I can picture the jaunty angle.     ;) 
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 07:11:44 pm by haunted_by_bbm »
"The room stank of semen and smoke and sweat and whiskey, of old carpet and sour hay, saddle leather, shit and cheap soap.  Ennis lay spread-eagled, spent and wet, breathing deep, still half tumescent, Jack blowing forceful cigarette clouds like whale spouts..." – Annie Proulx

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #1605 on: June 29, 2007, 01:32:03 am »

When I see those girls with their diplomas.  Wearing those cap and gowns.  I will be the proudest daddy you ever saw.  All the years I worked on those ole ranches.  All those years I was
missin Jack so bad.  I'll never get em back.  I'll never have no alma mater, no diploma, but my little girls.  They will.   I made sure.  They got that education. 
          I seen to it. Made ever one of them child support payments.  Little extry ever now and then too.  When I had it.  But I sure wish Jack coulda seen em... I sure do miss ya Jack.  Yep sure do....

100 wds           

Aww, Janice, my fav drabble of yesterday's.

Marie:Who knows what kind of high hopes Mrs Twist had before she met her fate, that mean OMT.

Marl: Curious for the second part. I like that it is placed in 1982. Leaves so many possibilities open....
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 01:40:38 am by Penthesilea »

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #1606 on: June 29, 2007, 05:49:03 am »

Thank you Marl.  A bunch of us found ourselves on IMDb last night while BM was offline.  We ended up on the same topic and it was very disconcerting seeing all of that negative energy.  I went on another movie board today, and the same thing.  I feel so lucky to be here on BetterMost.  Everyone I've met here is so very nice and unselfish.  I really love what you guys do.  I guess it is my shyness or something, but I haven't been able to think of anything to write and probably would be too shy to post it if I could.  But I do love reading them. 

Thank you all for welcoming me. 

Merrily

honey if i can do it.  you can do it too.  I was told one day to go do it.. and I tried.. thats all i did was try.. and it wasnt too bad..not great but not too bad...no one here is getting or giving a grade.  You do what you can and do your best...you will never have call to be embaressed.. We encourage all who try.  And who knows..you may just be the best of all.  so give yourself a chance to try..and just have fun with it.

Thanks chrissi.  An i loved everyones drabbles today.  I am so pleased to see this flourishing again.

Beautiful mind

Offline Clyde-B

• Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #1607 on: June 29, 2007, 09:06:20 am »
Wow Clyde, this is great.  But gosh darn it, I wanted it to be true.   >:(  It's so sad that it was only a dream.

Gary

Thanks for the encouragement Gary. 

I have a problem when left to my own ends to write.  There seems to be so much I want to say, and it all wants to come out at once, so it creates quite a log jam and nothing gets said.  The drabbles limit my possibilities, force me to focus .

Yeah, I wanted it to be true too, but it just didn't seem to work out that way.

You're good at this, why don't you join us!

Offline Clyde-B

« Reply #1608 on: June 29, 2007, 09:08:41 am »
High School Graduate

Lightning Flat, Wyoming
February 7, 1958

It was dark in the closet and he tilted the picture slightly, trying to capture some of the sunlight streaming into the bedroom.  He didn't recognize the other two girls, but the one in the middle with the wide grin, clutching the rolled diploma and wearing her cap at a jaunty angle was definitely his mama.  He stared in wonder at the picture, focusing in on all the small details, before putting it back in the box and grabbing the 'church' shoes she had asked him to fetch.  He spared a glance back at the closet as he hurried out of the room and down the stairs, shaking his head slightly in amazement at the truths that could be uncovered in a small closet.   

~~~~~~~~~
130 words

I love this little snippet, I've always wondered what more there was to know about the Twists.

Offline Clyde-B

« Reply #1609 on: June 29, 2007, 09:10:29 am »
What an irony - Alma thought when her younger daughter told her she's pregnant. Last spring was Junior's wedding. I'd be so happy if she were pregnant. But no, Francine, her ne'er-do-well offspring let herself getting knocked up.

Now she stood there, at her graduation ceremony, in her cap and gown, her high-school diploma just a few hours old but already dispensable.

"Ennis, we gotta talk."

~64 words~

Prose as smooth as a mirror lake, you make it look so easy.