Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1204038 times)

Offline Clyde-B

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #1620 on: June 29, 2007, 01:09:02 pm »
He almost broke his nose. It came suddenly and unexpected. He crushed him into the wall; it hurt and for a brief moment he wondered what might have caused this burst. But before he had time to gasp for breath, he was all over him. He couldn't do anything against it.
When it was over, his nose wasn't broken after all, the bruises were not worse than usual. Yet for the first time, Jack got a glimpse of how it feels to hate someone. One day, one day he would be taller and stronger than his father.

~97 words~

One of those scary places you don't want to go, but you can't turn away.

Offline Clyde-B

• Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #1621 on: June 29, 2007, 01:13:51 pm »
The Thing

His heart pounded as he pulled his hat lower, closed his eyes briefly, and took a deep breath to gather himself.  Damn.  Just from spotting a pot of geraniums the same bright red as Jack's truck. 

~~~~~~~
36 words

Tears in only 36 words!

Offline haunted_by_bbm

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • "didn't know we was gonna get into this again..."
    • Panels of the Dream: Brokeback Mountain Stories
« Reply #1622 on: June 29, 2007, 01:49:29 pm »
     Ennis wrinkled his nose as he staggered sleepy into the kitchen.  “What’s goin on out here?  What’s that I’m smellin?”
     Standing in front of the stove clad only in his Resistol, leather jacket, and boots Jack Twist grinned.  “Good mornin sunshine, how about some bacon, eggs, and hash brown potatoes.  You hungry?”
    Ennis smiled slyly.  “A naked cowboy in my kitchen.  What the hell kind of a get up do you call that?”
    “Got no bathrobe, so’s it’s just somethin I threw on to show off the flower of my manhood.”
   “Yeah, well I’m thinkin seriously about plucking your geranium.” 

100 words

Loved this!  What a visual.   lol   Can't stop grinnin'.      ;D

C*
"The room stank of semen and smoke and sweat and whiskey, of old carpet and sour hay, saddle leather, shit and cheap soap.  Ennis lay spread-eagled, spent and wet, breathing deep, still half tumescent, Jack blowing forceful cigarette clouds like whale spouts..." – Annie Proulx

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1623 on: June 29, 2007, 02:16:33 pm »
    “Got no bathrobe, so’s it’s just somethin I threw on to show off the flower of my manhood.”

100 words

:laugh:  :laugh:  Clyde, I love the way your mind works, bud.  (And 100 words again!)

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Dagi

« Reply #1624 on: June 29, 2007, 02:40:09 pm »
     Ennis wrinkled his nose as he staggered sleepy into the kitchen.  “What’s goin on out here?  What’s that I’m smellin?”
     Standing in front of the stove clad only in his Resistol, leather jacket, and boots Jack Twist grinned.  “Good mornin sunshine, how about some bacon, eggs, and hash brown potatoes.  You hungry?”
    Ennis smiled slyly.  “A naked cowboy in my kitchen.  What the hell kind of a get up do you call that?”

100 words

awesome writing, Clyde! "plucking your geranium" ;D ;D ;D

You DRABBLERS are some terrific guys!  This board is really fun!

Dagi

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1625 on: June 29, 2007, 05:27:02 pm »

That was a wonderful guessing game Chrissi i really liked it.     

{{{{hugs}}}}                           janice

Beautiful mind

Offline haunted_by_bbm

« Reply #1626 on: June 29, 2007, 06:21:57 pm »

Reunion

Jack reached up, touching his lips, swollen and raw already.  He felt the tingle on his cheek from Ennis’ five o’clock shadow, and grimaced as he pinched the bridge of his nose.

‘Damn, that had hurt.’ 

But then Jack smiled, the full truth of that brief moment under the stairs hitting him full on…

Ennis had missed him.

Ennis was every bit as excited to see Jack as Jack was to see him.

Jack wound a stray piece of yarn from the bedspread tighter and tighter around his finger as he warmed to that beautiful notion.

Ennis had missed him.

(100 Words)   (Lifted from  "MMM" - Part 1)    ;)   :-*

"The room stank of semen and smoke and sweat and whiskey, of old carpet and sour hay, saddle leather, shit and cheap soap.  Ennis lay spread-eagled, spent and wet, breathing deep, still half tumescent, Jack blowing forceful cigarette clouds like whale spouts..." – Annie Proulx

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1627 on: June 29, 2007, 06:55:26 pm »

Arriving

(September 1985)
Ennis started the truck and they continued the drive to Junior ‘s house.  They rode in silence.  Ennis held the bag with the baby’s pajamas tightly in one hand as he clutched the steering wheel with the other.  Tom reached over and placed his hand over Ennis’ hand.  Finally they reached the tiny house, with the box of red geraniums on the rail of the tiny porch.  Junior was standing outside, with a worried look on her face.

Tom opened the door of the truck and began to get out, but Ennis just sat there, not moving.  “Hey come on” Tom said.

Ennis turned to Tom and smiled a lost, wan smile.  But his eyes and nose were all red.  Tom reached over and placed his hand on Ennis’ arm.  “Hey, let’s go, it’ll be fine.”

Alma Jr. stood at the top step, watching them.  Then her face broke out in a big broad smile.  “Daddy, Mr. Tom, I’m so happy you’re finally here.  Daddy, I made your favorite dinner for you, steak and hash browns.  I know you’ll like it.  Hurry up, Daddy, come on!!!” Junior called.  Then she opened the front door and stood there waiting for them.

Ennis slowly got out of the truck.  Tom placed his hand on his shoulder, but Ennis quickly moved away.  They climbed the three steps and Junior kissed both of them on the cheek as they got to the door.  Then they all went inside.

Offline haunted_by_bbm

« Reply #1628 on: June 29, 2007, 08:11:21 pm »
Christine, That was beautiful - validation, hunh?   I love Jack - so easy to please.

:-*

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1629 on: June 29, 2007, 08:17:34 pm »

That was so nice.  Ennis missed me too.....................

Marl you are a wonder.  You bring them to life.              janice

Beautiful mind