Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1205237 times)

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #2040 on: August 06, 2007, 07:27:05 pm »

The Cold Front

(August 1986)
So you goin’ to tell me about those dreams?” Tom asked again.  Ennis looked at him but didn’t answer. 

“Fine, suit yourself” Tom said as he speeded up the truck.  “Could sure use some breakfast myself, there oughta be a place coming up soon.”

It was still morning, the sun was high and bright,the light causing dappled images on the road.  But almost in an instant, a huge dark cloud rolled in and the day was gone, it grew as dark as if night had fallen again.

Then there was a huge blast of thunder, and the sky was lit up by lighting, sending eerie sparks over all.  The rain began to fall, gently at first, then in huge splatters on the windshield.  Tom kept on going, but then he slowed down when the rain became so heavy that they could no longer see in front of them, and the water accumulated in rippling lakes on the highway.

Tom slowly pulled the truck over to the side of the road.  “We better wait here till this is over, then it’ll all be clean as a whistle” Tom said, looking through the windshield, opaque from the pelting rain.

“Hope it stops soon” Ennis said, as he reached for the duffel bag near his feet.  They sat there and waited and waited, but the storm did not let up.  The rain fell in sheets on the flooded road, the wind was howling, and the thunder and lightened never ceased.

“Guess this is that cold front” Tom said, trying to laugh, as he rummaged through his pockets, full of odds and ends like a kitchen junk drawer. 

“Whadya looking for?  Ennis asked.  But before Tom could reply, a deafening noise blasted their ears and shook the truck like a toy boat on the roaring sea.

“Holy fuckin’ shit!!!”

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2041 on: August 06, 2007, 08:21:42 pm »

Thats what I say Holy fucking shit!!!!           you are the master of cliffhangers.        :o        :-*

Beautiful mind

Offline Clyde-B

• Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #2042 on: August 06, 2007, 09:00:44 pm »

Ennis hustled them out of Woody’s before anybody started throwing punches.  He bought a fifth of vodka and a six pack from Wylie to smooth any ruffled feathers.  By the time they parked on the side of Lone Pine road, it was dusk.  They sat on bedrolls in the back of the pickup and watched the little white frame house nestled in the moonlight.
     “That there’s where Jack grew up.”
     “It feels like I’m sitting in a cowhand’s junk drawer.”
     “Stuff accumulates.”
     She swigged from the bottle.  “I could have taken that little chipmunk, you know.  Cleaned her whistle good.”

100 words

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2043 on: August 06, 2007, 11:04:17 pm »
Thank you, Janice!!!!! ;D

Of course, thank you, Marie and Clyde! ;D

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2044 on: August 06, 2007, 11:19:15 pm »

" I write these and they accumulate in the junk drawer before i post them, and then its clean as a whistle."
:laugh: Janice, you get a gold star for that sentence!!

. . . .   He just kind of slumped down into himself, and said. "Don't rightly know what happened, his wife said it was some kind of accident with the tire."  "You didn't believe her explanation of it?"  "Don know really, just don know."  . . .
Not really knowing is such anguish.  Poor Ennis.  And that picture, Janice!  If that ain't Ennis, I don't know what is.

. . . .
“Whadya looking for?  Ennis asked.  But before Tom could reply, a deafening noise blasted their ears and shook the truck like a toy boat on the roaring sea.

“Holy fuckin’ shit!!!”
Now you're scaring me, Marl!

. . .
     She swigged from the bottle.  “I could have taken that little chipmunk, you know.  Cleaned her whistle good.”
That is my kind of woman!   "Little chipmunk.."  Hee Hee.

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2045 on: August 07, 2007, 12:05:28 pm »
Drabblers, for today:

Something having to do with...
    • an Italian restaurant
    • the phone company
    • going to the beach

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2046 on: August 07, 2007, 01:46:34 pm »
Not a Restaurant Type

The ground was hard, the log was digging into his back, the air was cold, his boot soles were hot from the fire, and he was eating beans from a can.  He couldn't remember being happier ….

"Jack – hellloooo…."  Lureen frowned.  "You haven't heard a word I've said."

The booth was padded, the shag carpeting thick, the temperature a perfect 71.3 degrees, and the single flame from the candle-in-a-wine-bottle cast a glow onto the red-checkered tablecloth upon which sat a delicious meal served on fine china….

"Sorry, honey." Jack forced a smile and an interested look as he shifted uncomfortably.   

~~~~~~~
100 Words
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2047 on: August 07, 2007, 08:05:54 pm »

The Crash

(August 1986)
Holy Fucking Shit!!!!!

A huge tree, as tall as a building, started to fall.  It was coming down even before Tom and Ennis know what to think.  They sat there staring, their mouths agape.  The tree was falling, heading straight towards them.  There was no time to do anything but watch.

The tree kept falling, and falling, and was almost right upon them.  It was almost there.

But then suddenly, as if pushed aside by an unseen force, the tree landed with a great shattering crash, right in front of them, missing the truck by less than an inch.

“Holy shit” Ennis gasped.  “I thought we were dead.  Sure we were done.”  But Tom didn’t answer.  He didn’t make a sound.  Ennis looked at him.

“Tom, hey, Tom, Tom” Ennis called, his voice getting louder and louder.

“Tom, will ya answer me!”  Tom was slumped over the steering wheel, not even seeming to breathe.

“Tom” Ennis yelled franticly.  “Tom!!!”  Ennis moved closer, pulled Tom back and furiously slapped his face.  “Hey, will ya wake up!  Wake up, now.  Hey, we gotta get to that beach, you gotta wake up!  We didn’t even go to that Italian restaurant yet!!!   You gotta wake up!!”

Tom didn’t move.

“Damn you” Ennis cried, shaking Tom with all strength.  “Wake up,….wake up!!!!   
Holy fuckin’ shit!!!”

(220 words)

(Please forgive me if I upset anyone, I didn't mean to. :()

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2048 on: August 07, 2007, 09:28:51 pm »

No upsets, just shock....geesh.    :-\

Beautiful mind

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #2049 on: August 08, 2007, 01:31:01 am »
     Ennis hustled them out of Woody’s before anybody started throwing punches.  He bought a fifth of vodka and a six pack from Wylie to smooth any ruffled feathers.  By the time they parked on the side of Lone Pine road, it was dusk.  They sat on bedrolls in the back of the pickup and watched the little white frame house nestled in the moonlight.
     “That there’s where Jack grew up.”
     “It feels like I’m sitting in a cowhand’s junk drawer.”
     “Stuff accumulates.”

100 words

Beautiful, Clyde-B!  I thought I might find you here, and I wanted to say hello.  I miss you!  Anyway,  I really enjoyed reading through this.  Lovely work.