Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1178215 times)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #390 on: February 26, 2007, 08:05:24 pm »
Cheers Marl and Janice for those drabbles!
Hopeful and then sad ..
 :)

Offline haunted_by_bbm

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • "didn't know we was gonna get into this again..."
    • Panels of the Dream: Brokeback Mountain Stories
« Reply #391 on: February 26, 2007, 10:09:11 pm »
Don Wroe’s Cabin - Part 1  (300 Words)

Saturday, November 13, 1976  7:13 a.m.   

Jack entered the cabin on light happy feet, practically bouncing as he walked through the room quickly, tossing his bag in the corner, taking a peek at the big bed dominating the far wall.  The bed was large, sturdy, and covered in a thick, comfortable-looking quilt, pieced together in a warm log cabin pattern of browns, reds, and golds…all the colors of the autumn rainbow.

Ennis came up behind Jack slowly, setting down his bag as well, grinning broadly, watching with both immense joy and sound relief as his friend looked around the cabin with a smile to suggest he’d just been told he’d won the lottery.

“A week?”  Jack grinned.

“A whole fuckin week.” Ennis replied, taking Jack in his arms, pulling him in close, and swearing he could drown in the look in Jack’s eyes.

‘That’s it,’ Ennis thought to himself, gripping Jack tighter.

There was the look he’d missed so much, so worried he’d never see it again, after the year they’d just had…first with the misunderstanding over the divorce card, and then with the big fight they’d had the following month.

And then come August, three months later, Ennis had had to cancel getting together.  Jr. had been sick with appendicitis, so bad she could have died.  It had been one fucked up year, in so many ways, and much too long since Ennis had seen Jack’s wide smile…with those bright eyes…the combination warm enough to heat a whole city in the middle of winter.  How he’d missed it.

“Gonna take real good care a you this week, Bud,” Ennis sighed.  "You aint never gonna be warmer in your life.”

Jack grinned, nodded, and sighed, unable to speak for a moment.

November had never looked so good.   

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(300 Words)   
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 05:30:20 pm by haunted_by_bbm »
"The room stank of semen and smoke and sweat and whiskey, of old carpet and sour hay, saddle leather, shit and cheap soap.  Ennis lay spread-eagled, spent and wet, breathing deep, still half tumescent, Jack blowing forceful cigarette clouds like whale spouts..." – Annie Proulx

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #392 on: February 26, 2007, 10:27:24 pm »
Skinny Dipping Swimming Spot
Lazy L Ranch
Quanah, TX
July 10, 1976

“Ya got brown eyes…”

“I know I got brown eyes. Ya think yer tellin’ me somethin’ I don’t know?”

“I just like talkin’ ‘bout ya.”

“You been talkin’ ‘bout me for the past two months…tellin’ me I got nice eyes, nice feet, nice hands, a nice chest…”

“You complainin’?”

“Ain’t complainin’, just sayin’, I ain’t ever heard so much gushy stuff in my life. Yer like a new man, Jack fuckin’ Twist.”

“Well you too Ennis goddamn Del Mar…sayin’ ‘I love you’ every other minute.”

“You complainin’?”

“Ain’t complainin’.”

(89 words)
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline haunted_by_bbm

« Reply #393 on: February 26, 2007, 10:49:32 pm »
Skinny Dipping Swimming Spot
Lazy L Ranch
Quanah, TX
July 10, 1976

“Ya got brown eyes…”

“I know I got brown eyes. Ya think yer tellin’ me somethin’ I don’t know?”

“I just like talkin’ ‘bout ya.”

“You been talkin’ ‘bout me for the past two months…tellin’ me I got nice eyes, nice feet, nice hands, a nice chest…”

“You complainin’?”

“Ain’t complainin’, just sayin’, I ain’t ever heard so much gushy stuff in my life. Yer like a new man, Jack fuckin’ Twist.”

“Well you too Ennis goddamn Del Mar…sayin’ ‘I love you’ every other minute.”

“You complainin’?”

“Ain’t complainin’.”

(89 words)

Hey there, sweetie.
I just picked 1976 too.   ;)   lol   

C*
"The room stank of semen and smoke and sweat and whiskey, of old carpet and sour hay, saddle leather, shit and cheap soap.  Ennis lay spread-eagled, spent and wet, breathing deep, still half tumescent, Jack blowing forceful cigarette clouds like whale spouts..." – Annie Proulx

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #394 on: February 26, 2007, 10:53:59 pm »
Hey there, sweetie.
I just picked 1976 too.   ;)   lol   

C*

Great minds, sweetie, great minds....

xox
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline haunted_by_bbm

« Reply #395 on: February 26, 2007, 10:55:42 pm »
Great minds, sweetie, great minds....

xox

My thoughts exactly.    ;D    lol

C*

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #396 on: February 27, 2007, 07:18:17 am »
Morning all...

Try these today:

• shoulders
  • snowflake
  • silver

Let's keep the creativity going! I love this thread....

L

Offline LazyLJack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Our friend MaineWriter: Read her stuff!
« Reply #397 on: February 27, 2007, 08:19:22 am »
Can I join in? Here's my contribution....Jack

February 27, 2007
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX

It doesn’t snow much in Quanah, but every now and then, like today, there is a flake.

The sun’s rays slant silvery in the sky. I can tell the end of winter is coming.

I am looking at Ennis’s broad shoulders. He’s taken the news of KE’s death very hard. I can see the weight on him.

The people and things that Ennis loves, he loves very deeply. I worry about Twister. I don’t worry about me.

(82 words)
Jack & Ennis
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #398 on: February 27, 2007, 11:27:09 am »
Riverton, WY
November, 1972

“It’s snowin’ Daddy, ain’t good weather for fishin’!” said Junior, looking out the window of the apartment towards the street.

“I’m goin’ huntin’ this time, darlin’, mebbe bring back a deer for the freezer.”

“Awfully cold for campin’,” said Alma, her arms crossed across her chest.

“I been in worse,” replied Ennis, “but, I, uh…got a cabin for this trip.”

“A cabin?” said Alma, her eyebrows raised.

“Yeah, from Don Wroe. He’s caught his deer, done with huntin’ for the season.”

Alma looked at him, her eyes glittering silver. “Never take me to a cabin.”

“You don’t like ta hunt, can’t see the point.”

“The point is, I like ta be alone with my husband, mebbe have a vacation.”

“This ain’t a vacation, it’s a huntin’ trip, mebbe get some meat ta hold us through the winter.”

“With yer buddy.”

“Yeah, with my buddy. A man needs someone ta hunt with in the woods, dangerous ta do it alone.”

“What ‘bout one of yer other friends?”

“I like huntin’ with Jack.”

Alma’s breath caught as she heard the name. Ennis rarely said it and when he did, it hurt like a knife. “Well then, I s’pose you’ll be home Sunday?”

Ennis nodded as he shrugged his shoulders into his jacket. “Yeah, mebbe sooner if we catch us a deer.” He leaned over and gave her a soft kiss on her cheek.

She looked at him, her gaze hostile. “Quit yer lyin’, Ennis. I’ll see ya Sunday, not a minute before.” She turned and left the room, so she wouldn’t have to see him leave the apartment.

(269 words)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 11:33:12 am by MaineWriter »

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #399 on: February 27, 2007, 01:25:43 pm »
       The rain is coming down sideways, Ennis is only wearing his canvas jacket.  He is soaked through all across his back and shoulders.  The dark green color has turned to a darker blue green, and nearly black on the wettest parts.  He does his best to slink down into the slight coverage he is receiving. 
       The early snowfall has deteriorated into a pouring rain.  He has just gone out of the trailer to get to the telephone across from the post office.  He feels the need
to call Jack. ".He has no one to inform of the divorce.  He and Alma are now no longer married..  He will no longer, be a part of his little darlins, daily life."   He is heartsick and
feels lonely to his very core. " He can only remember one time in his life he felt so
lowdown and missing on someone..."
      " The day he and Jack left each other at  the end of summer.  It was four long
years, before they met up again" " Jack I sure wish I could see you.   Some times I
miss you so bad I can hardly stand it."  "Yep thats what i'll do.  I just give him a call,
just to hear his voice."  Ennis drops the coins in the slot, hears the clink, chink, clink,
as the coins drop into the phone, and then the ring, three short rings, and then the
sound of Jack's voice.  "Hello, Jack Twist , how may I help you?"  "Jack, that you?"
He says into the phone.  "He feels like a man, that has been thrown a life preserver."
       "Jack, me an Alma are divorced!" 

« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 05:36:04 am by ifyoucantfixit »

Beautiful mind