Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1178261 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #520 on: March 04, 2007, 09:54:05 pm »
I guess this is a sort of a real preview for "Another Side of the Story" but with prompts.

The Question
.  .  .
Cassie felt the tears coming, “Why is it that I always end up with boys like you?”

Ennis gave her a look, a look that felt like a shot through her heart.  He got up and looked like he was moving toward her, his arm outstretched.  But then he sat back down, sat there for a while, then the put on his hat and walked out the door.

Cassie didn’t move for hours, just sat there staring at the door.

Marleen, it's so clever how you applied these prompts to Cassie's life (and so seamlessly).  Are you planning on using this in your story?  It's really great - as is your fic!

.   .  .
   "D'ya wanna look for a place?  I c'n work it at the first... Dunno about that sweet life y'r always talkin' about. 

Jack stopped breathin'.

"I dunno if it will work, Jack.  I just can't live like ~this~ anymore."

If only . . . really nice, TH.

. . . I can't stand it no more. We gotta do somethin, we gotta fix it.

Great turn of phrase, Janice.

.  .  .
“Yup….May 9th…was a Thursday.”

“You’re sure?”

Ennis reach back pulls out his wallet, opens it. In a plastic sleeve next to photos of his daughters he takes out a worn piece note pad folded in quarters with advertising letter head . . .
.   .  .
In their room Jack hangs up the picture, stands back admiring his handiwork. Just a simple photo, two smiling men arm in arm in the mountains taken on their first trip in the Colorado Rockies after they moved to the ranch, now with a tattered handwritten note in the corner that lead Ennis to him so long ago, looking back in silent testimony through the journey of their lives in a wooden frame. Tear rolling down his cheek Jack remembers what he himself took ,saved and protected from their days at Brokeback.

Oh, this was terrific -  I want more!!!!  Do they get new suits?  Go to Denver?  What's the hotel like?  What does Ennis think of it all? 

. . . (Who needs chores anyway?  :-\)

LOL!! That's what I always ask myself.

Great drabble day, drabblers - thanks!
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #521 on: March 04, 2007, 11:46:38 pm »
Marleen, it's so clever how you applied these prompts to Cassie's life (and so seamlessly).  Are you planning on using this in your story?  It's really great - as is your fic!

Marie

I just don't know how to thank you anymore.  Your beyond the best :)

Your question, I will know for sure when I get there, can't wait, but I am convinced that Cassie was the one who did say 'boys like you' first.  After all the lake scene when Ennis said it was only a few months after this happened.  Now the question is  exactly what did Cassie mean by 'boys like you'.....?

Marl

Great drabbles today, as usual

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #522 on: March 05, 2007, 07:23:59 am »
Good morning all,

Monday morning prompts....

• dog days of summer
  • Brussels
  • lips

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #523 on: March 05, 2007, 08:01:02 am »
Good morning all,

• Brussels
Leslie

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

This will be interesting...
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #524 on: March 05, 2007, 08:56:28 am »
    Ennis reluctantly opens his eyes.  He can barely stand to open them just
the slighest sliver.  The sun is bright even this early.  Its very cold and even
if they are getting into the middle of summer.  Up here, in the clear blue of the hights it still leaves the grass and plants, with a sheen of frost.  He rolls out of his tent, more than stands.  He looks around to check the surroundings.  He sees the horse hasn't wandered far.  That'll be just the shortest of walks to retrieve him.. The sheep seem to be just rising as well.  It was a rather peaceful night as the routine goes up here.  Only had to get
up two times, to check for the coyotes.  The dogs had already warned them
off before he got his boots on.  Those dogs are sure a blessin from god, he
thinks.  I never really understood the sayin, dog days of summer like this
afore.  But for me it will always mean the helpin from these beautiful, and hard working animals.  They are keen of eye, and quick of foot..A beautiful thing to see as they go about their daily chores...Fine animals for sure..

Beautiful mind

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #525 on: March 05, 2007, 10:02:50 am »
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX
Thanksgiving, 1976

“Ya know, Jack, there are only two of us.”

“Yeah, so?”

“Well, that looks like a helluva big turkey for two people.”

“Just fourteen pounds. We’ll have lots for leftovers.”

Ennis looked dubious. “If you say so. What’s this?” he asked, holding up a small green vegetable.

“Brussels sprouts. My mama always made em for Thanksgivin’.”

“Never heard of em. It looks like a lil cabbage.”

Jack laughed. “Yeah, it does. What did yer family have for Thanksgivin’ dinner?”

Ennis thought for a minute. “Well, turkey and stuffin’, a course, with gravy and cranberry sauce. And creamed onions and green beans. No brussels sprouts though.”

“How did yer mama make the green beans?”

“In a casserole, with mushroom soup and those lil crunchy onion bits. Alma made em the same way.”

“I had a feelin’,” said Jack, as he opened the cabinet. He pulled out a can of Durkee’s French Fried Onion Rings and handed it to Ennis. “I’m makin’ em that way for you, too.”

Ennis turned the can over in his hand, then smiled at Jack. “You really do take good care a me.”

“I’m tryin’.”

(195 words)

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #526 on: March 05, 2007, 10:17:58 am »
Brussels sprouts, i should have known  ::)

Scott6373

« Reply #527 on: March 05, 2007, 10:18:34 am »
He stayed in the small darkened space between the buildings for a long while, but no other passed by.  After the pain and wrenching subsided, he raised is head, the flop sweat soaking the collar of his shirt.  Reluctant to leave the cool, safe refuge he had found, he raised his whole body upright, yet couldn’t quite seem to straighten out the slump in his posture that had begun the day he and Jack were told that their summer was over.  Regardless, he had a long way to go and a short amount of time to get there before the heat of these August days was such that continued progress would be foolish.

Somewhere near the noon hour, he paused in his progress to survey his view.  There was nothing of value left in his vision, a situation that mirrored the state of his soul.  He had gone too far. The high heat was upon him, and there was nowhere to hide from it.

The old truck lumbered over the slight incline that Ennis had just overcome.  He turned to stick his thumb out, but the truck was already slowing to a halt near him.  As the vehicle pulled alongside him, he leaned into the passenger window.

“How far ya goin’?”  Ennis asked

“Far as I can get, I s’pose,” said the old man who was operating the even older truck.  “Hop in.  Might as well have company.”  Not needing to be told twice, Ennis nodded, and opened the door to get it.  As he did, a dog, which he had not noticed in the truck bed, awoke and growled threateningly through the small cab window.  “Hush now Serious.”  The dog complied.  “Sorry bout that.  Dog gets cranky in the bad heat.”

Ennis pulled himself into the truck and shut the door.  “S’okay, I ain’t much likin’ the heat myself.”

“Yep, these are the dog days young man.  The real dog days of summer.  Ya know I can still remember my mama prayin' for these days back when I was a little one.  She used to say, when the dog days come, the harvest is soon.  I can still hear her prayin’…’Canst thou bind the sweet influences of Pleiades, or loose the bands of Orion? Canst thou bring forth Mazzaroth in his season? or canst thou guide Arcturus with his sons? Knowest thou the ordinances of heaven?’...My mama was a strange woman.”

Ennis let the old mans rants fade away, as the pain in his gut returned.

(417 words)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 11:49:04 am by Scott »

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #528 on: March 05, 2007, 10:32:35 am »
Those dogs are sure a blessin from god, he thinks.  I never really understood the sayin, dog days of summer like this
afore.  But for me it will always mean the helpin from these beautiful, and hard working animals.  They are keen of eye, and quick of foot..A beautiful thing to see as they go about their daily chores...Fine animals for sure..

nice work Janice, and perfect with the picture Leslie posted of Ennis with the blue heelers on the Heath Heath Heath thread
http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,1179.1680.html

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #529 on: March 05, 2007, 10:34:03 am »

Wow scott ,,just wow..very profound, and somehow humerous as well, though i dont exactly know why.... I really enjoyed that.

Beautiful mind