Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1178101 times)

Offline haunted_by_bbm

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • "didn't know we was gonna get into this again..."
    • Panels of the Dream: Brokeback Mountain Stories
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #540 on: March 05, 2007, 04:10:52 pm »
Variety 

Saturday, August 16, 1969  4:32 p.m.

“Guess I gotta move first, huh?”  Jack questioned, hat pulled low over his eyes, arms folded comfortably across his stomach, right hand holding Ennis’ left one, occasionally moving just long enough to stroke first up and then down Ennis’ long arm, before coming to rest once again on his stomach, re-claiming Ennis’ hand, stroking the palm, tugging on the fingers. 

“Yup.”

“Okay…thinkin ‘bout movin now…”

“uuhhuumm.”

“Damn, Ennis…don’t wanna move!” Jack groaned, shifting sideways, burying his cheek into Ennis’ chest, drawing up his legs, reaching around with his arm to wrap around Ennis’ waist, all the while curling up tightly inside the safety of Ennis’ strong legs, wrapped securely around his entire body. 

Ennis smiled into Jack’s hair, pressing his lips back and forth across the soft, dark waves. 

“Don’t know why folks call these the dog days of summer no how.  I feel more like a cat right now.”  Jack sighed.  “Feel like I could just curl up and nap for seventeen hours outa the day.”

“Think ya already done that, Bud.”  Ennis chuckled.   

Jack tickled Ennis on his right side.

“Fuck, stop that…” Ennis squirmed, laughing, pulling Jack up and forward into his long strong arms.   

“Gettin hungry, Rodeo?”

“Yeah, I’m always hungry.”  Jack winked.  “Gonna make you up a real nice supper, friend.”

“hhhmmm.  Sure ‘bout that?”  Ennis’ eyes laughed and twinkled.  “Don’t know about that shit you cooked yesterday.  Nobody in their right mind brings canned brussel sprouts on a fishin trip.  Damn, that is one scary-lookin vegetable.”   

“Thought I was being creative…ya know…variety bein’ the spice a life, and all that shit.”
“Don’t need no variety, Jack.”  Ennis sighed, hovering over the man’s lips.  “Got everythin I need for these trips, right here.”

“Me too, cowboy.  Me too.”

« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 04:14:53 pm by haunted_by_bbm »
"The room stank of semen and smoke and sweat and whiskey, of old carpet and sour hay, saddle leather, shit and cheap soap.  Ennis lay spread-eagled, spent and wet, breathing deep, still half tumescent, Jack blowing forceful cigarette clouds like whale spouts..." – Annie Proulx

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #541 on: March 05, 2007, 05:16:25 pm »
In any case .. Cheers ladies!  ;D

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:  :laugh: :laugh:

Okay, I have dark hair so I'll be the one on the left.  You can be the, err . . . flexible one, C*!!!!   :laugh:
(And you can borrow my pom poms anytime!)

You guys are all insane - no wonder I love it here!

Thanks!
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline haunted_by_bbm

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • "didn't know we was gonna get into this again..."
    • Panels of the Dream: Brokeback Mountain Stories
« Reply #542 on: March 05, 2007, 05:26:12 pm »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:  :laugh: :laugh:

Okay, I have dark hair so I'll be the one on the left.  You can be the, err . . . flexible one, C*!!!!   :laugh:
(And you can borrow my pom poms anytime!)

Thanks!
Marie

No problem, Marie.   lol

Back in the day, (before I got old)   ;)   I could do a full left split, clear down to the ground, so, piece a cake...I'll be the "other" one.    hehehe   ;)

We are a crazy bunch, aren't we?  Gotta love it.    ;)

C*
"The room stank of semen and smoke and sweat and whiskey, of old carpet and sour hay, saddle leather, shit and cheap soap.  Ennis lay spread-eagled, spent and wet, breathing deep, still half tumescent, Jack blowing forceful cigarette clouds like whale spouts..." – Annie Proulx

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #543 on: March 05, 2007, 06:05:19 pm »

Thanks!
Marie

Insanity loves company, Marie! 
We're happy to have ya here!  ;D

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #544 on: March 05, 2007, 06:23:50 pm »
I guess I am stuck on them, another preview.

The Summer Afternoon
August 1981

Cassie was lying on Ennis’s bed, in the trailer. It was hot, real hot.  She was just wearing a big white t-shirt. She couldn’t remember whose it was, James or Tim’s.  The fan was on the bed, but it was just blowing hot air onto her.  It was so hot, even for the dog days of summer.

Cassie heard what sounded like a whimper.  She looked over at Ennis.  He was sitting on the chair, his skin flushed, and the sweat covering him glistening in the sun that streamed in from the window.

Cassie got up from the bed.  She went towards him and began stroking his hair.  She kissed him gently on his damp head, but he just sat there.

“Why don’t we go for a drive”, she murmured.  He took her hand and held it briefly to his lips.

They washed their burning faces and put on fresh clothes.  They went out to the truck and Cassie tossed aside the magazine that she left the other day.  It was one of those house magazines.  Cassie had stared at the picture of the old stone house with the gardens and the hills behind it.  Brussels it said.  She never heard of such a place before.

“Let’s go up the mountain” Cassie said.
“No, not the mountains” Ennis replied.

They drove for a while, a hot breeze blowing through the open window.  Ennis headed towards the large tree covered hill, just at the foot of the mountain.

The got out and walked through the trees.  It was cooler here.  The wind rustled through the leaves and the birds call’s and cries echoed beyond them.

The walked for a while and finally came upon a stream.  The water was rushing and gurgling.  Ennis went towards it and got down on his knees.  He drank the cool water with his hands and splashed his face. Then he put his head down in his hands and began shaking and crying, it seemed, although Cassie heard only the rushing stream.

Cassie stood there helpless.  His body now racked with great silent heaves.  She had no idea what this was all about, and she had no idea what to do.  But suddenly the deep down ache in her heart grew larger, and then she was crying too.  She wanted to go over to him, and hold him and comfort him.  She wanted to feel him in her arms.  But instead she just stood there.

In a little while Ennis got up, Cassie took his hand, and they silently walked back to the truck.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 06:52:24 pm by marlb42 »

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #545 on: March 05, 2007, 07:24:12 pm »

Sweet lips ..
. . .
Jack was grateful for the steady stream of moonlight pouring in through the flap of the tent.  He studied Ennis’ face – the soft blond curls, the sleeping eyes, and the curve of his slightly-parted lips as he snored softly.  At that moment, he knew nothing would ever be the same again.  He lowered his head cautiously and placed a light kiss on Ennis’ lips, the sleeping man did not stir.  He brought his head down to the bedroll, quietly whispering to himself, “G’night, sweet lips..”

This is heaven.  (And the new banner is awesome, btw - I'm embarrassed to tell you how much time I spent watching it!  :)

Variety 

Saturday, August 16, 1969  4:32 p.m.

“hhhmmm.  Sure ‘bout that?”  Ennis’ eyes laughed and twinkled.  “Don’t know about that shit you cooked yesterday.  Nobody in their right mind brings canned brussel sprouts on a fishin trip.  Damn, that is one scary-lookin vegetable.”   

“Thought I was being creative…ya know…variety bein’ the spice a life, and all that shit.”
“Don’t need no variety, Jack.”  Ennis sighed, hovering over the man’s lips.  “Got everythin I need for these trips, right here.”

“Me too, cowboy.  Me too.”

Eavesdropping on your guys is such a pleasure, C* - such natural humor along with the tenderness.

I guess I am stuck on them, another preview.

The Summer Afternoon
August 1981
.   .  .
Cassie stood there helpless.  His body now racked with great silent heaves.  She had no idea what this was all about, and she had no idea what to do.  But suddenly the deep down ache in her heart grew larger, and then she was crying too.  She wanted to go over to him, and hold him and comfort him.  She wanted to feel him in her arms.  But instead she just stood there.

This is so touching, Marl  - and I loved the part about the house magazines - I can picture her leafing through them . . . and wishing. 

Thanks kids!
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #546 on: March 05, 2007, 09:04:15 pm »
I had wriiten another earlier, it might be time to move away from C and E here, hope you don't mind that I am posting it.
A Summer Night

(August 1988)

Ennis turned on the fan on his bed, but it didn’t help in this heat. He couldn’t remember a time when it was this hot before, so hot even for the dog days of summer.  He washed his hot face, but the water wasn’t cold enough and it didn’t help. He went outside to the trailer, even in the dark, the wind was no relief from the heat. He saw a light, a flashing light.  He decided to go over.  He saw that it was Tom, his neighbor, lying on a plastic lawn bed, a flashlight in his hand, a magazine lying on his stomach.

“Whaddya readin’? Ennis asked.

“About all sorts of places” Tom said “like Brussels and Paris and all sorts of other places.”

“Ya ever been there?” Ennis asked.

“Na, but I sure wanna go, how ‘bout you?

“Nope” Ennis answered and he thought, ‘ya know, I don’t wanna go.’

Everyone else, Cassie, Junior and Jenny, always talked about all the fine places they wanted to see.  But Ennis looked through the darkness and the erratic light of the fireflies towards the mountain, dimly lit by the moon.

In this heat he recalled the cool, crisp nights, so different than this one, made so warm by the fires.  Both fires, the flickering campfire and the raging fire deep within them, burning so brightly and never needed any kindling at all.

The vision of Jack appeared before Ennis’s eyes, and he could almost feel the touch of Jack’s lips.  He knew where the only place that he really wanted to go to was.  Back in time to those cool, sweet nights up on the mountain, with Jack.

(284 words)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 09:11:48 pm by marlb42 »

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #547 on: March 05, 2007, 09:36:18 pm »
. . .
In this heat he recalled the cool, crisp nights, so different than this one, made so warm by the fires.  Both fires, the flickering campfire and the raging fire deep within them, burning so brightly and never needed any kindling at all.

The vision of Jack appeared before Ennis’s eyes, and he could almost feel the touch of Jack’s lips.  He knew where the only place that he really wanted to go to was.  Back in time to those cool, sweet nights up on the mountain, with Jack.

Nice to see how inspired you are, Marl.  This was very, very nicely done.

Thanks again,
Marie

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #548 on: March 06, 2007, 07:18:35 am »
Good morning...

Our prompts today come from our wonderful supportive reader, Marie! Thanks for sharing...

• headache
  • determined
  • $1.63

Have fun...

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #549 on: March 06, 2007, 10:12:38 am »
Signal, WY
Tuesday, May 7, 1963

If were gonna be workin’ together, we might as well start drinkin’ together.

Ennis sat at the bar, worrying the label off the bottle with his thumb. There were two empties in front of Jack; he’d been nursing his one beer for over an hour.

“Ya want another?”

Ennis looked down. He knew he had exactly $1.63 in his pocket. A beer cost a quarter and a pack of smokes was fifty cents. Damn, I’m hungry, he thought. What would a sandwich or a burger cost? Fifty, seventy-five cents? I don’t think I can afford another beer.

He fished the half-smoked cigarette out of his shirt pocket and put it between his lips. He nodded to Jack who pushed the lighter towards him and Ennis nodded again, his thanks silent.

Jack slid his gaze over the man next to him, taking in the big hands, worn and calloused, fingernails broken and bitten. But the line of his jaw, the set of his chin were determined and proud. Jack had a sudden urge to run his fingers along the other man’s cheek. Fighting temptation, he slid off the stool and went over to the vending machine by the door. He pumped in four quarters and received two packs of Marlboros in return.

He put the pack on the bar, pushing it gently towards Ennis with his index finger. Ennis looked at Jack, his brown eyes molten. “Thanks,” he said softly.

“Lemme buy ya a beer. Ya hungry?”

Ennis nodded and this time, Jack saw a ghost of a smile at the edge of his mouth.

Jack nodded to the bartender. “We’ll take another round. Ya got anythin’ ta eat?” Jack’s smiled broadened as he nodded toward Ennis. “This is my buddy. We’re gonna be workin’ together.”

Ennis nodded. “All summer.”

“All summer,” breathed Jack.

(310 words)

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!