Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1178124 times)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #620 on: March 08, 2007, 07:21:16 pm »
            We sure gave the ladies of bbm a hard day today, Milli

We gotta promise to write some "fun" Alma/Lureen/Cassie drabbles in the future ..  ;)

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #621 on: March 08, 2007, 07:21:18 pm »
Morning all! 

My contribution:  :)

Saturday, September 30th, 1967

A Heavy Mood ..

“You coming to bed anytime soon?” Lureen called out to Jack from the bedroom. 

He didn’t answer her immediately.  He sat hunched over on the living room sofa, his elbows resting on his aching knees, staring at the blank TV screen.  He was grateful for the silence – Bobby was sound asleep in his crib, his little crying fit of the evening had finally subsided.

“Be right there…” he answered.  He was in a heavy mood – he did not know if he was sad or angry or disappointed or overwhelmed or feeling sorry for himself or all of the above.

“Are you okay?” Lureen inquired, startling him as she walked into the dimly-lit room.  He turned around to look at her; she looked beautiful dressed in that soft pink silky negligee.  He could see her well-rounded bosom and perky nipples through the sheer fabric, her hair wavy and shiny.  He swallowed hard as she came around and sat on his lap.

“Like the night dress, do ya?” she asked coyly, kissing him lightly on the lips.  She lowered her head and whispered in his ear, “Come to bed, you get to take it off too..”.  She took his hand and pulled him towards the bedroom. 

“Need to use the bathroom ...” he managed, watching as she got on the bed and struck a seductive pose.

He splashed cold water on his face and looked at himself in the mirror.  Only a few days ago, he’d told Ennis he was willing to give up his family to be with him.  He meant it. He’d have given up anything for the promise that they would be together soon.  No more lies, no pretenses, no double lives.  He’d have to wait.  He walked back into the bedroom, stripping off his clothes, wondering if Ennis was in bed with his own wife, holding her, making love to her .. A pang of jealousy cut through him ..

(~ 326 words)

This was really nice Milli. I could imagine Jack feelling blue and moody. Good one!
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #622 on: March 08, 2007, 07:27:55 pm »

A Plan?
October 1967
No answer, but she found him sitting on the bed, staring at a postcard that must have come today.  He didn’t hear her, he just sat staring at that postcard, rubbing it over and over, not seeing her even though she was now right in front of him.  He was softly murmuring to himself, and then he put the postcard to his lips.

She turned around and said to herself “Sure won’t do me any good” and went to go pick up the girls.

(252)

Yeah, we did give the ladies a rough time today.
Cheers Marl, that last part with the postcard ..  :( 
Cheers.  :)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #623 on: March 08, 2007, 07:53:33 pm »
A Plan?

That title really got me.  After reading the drabble, it's just so . . .pathetic  :(
Well done.

Thanks, Marl
Marie

The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #624 on: March 09, 2007, 12:24:25 am »
Thanks M and Marie :)

We gotta promise to write some "fun" Alma/Lureen/Cassie drabbles in the future ..  ;)

I agree, the gals should have some fun once and a while, they never have any. :(

We should try, they do deserve to be happy......sometimes.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #625 on: March 09, 2007, 07:24:11 am »
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

Barbara (goadra) volunteered to help create an archive of all the drabbles from the drabblefest. Many wonderful thanks to Barbara for taking on this job!

She created a LiveJournal Community and it can be found here:

http://community.livejournal.com/bbmdrabblefest/

Entries are tagged by date, prompt, and author so now folks have a quick and easy way to go back and read favorites. One drawback of the threads here is that it is hard to find stuff. The archive solves that problem.

Please take a moment to visit the archive. If you have suggestions or comments, please contact either me or goadra. Thanks!

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #626 on: March 09, 2007, 07:27:34 am »
Today's prompts were sort of suggested by Jeff Wrangler. Not intentionally, but he used these words in another context and I just couldn't get them out of my head. So...have fun....LOL

• doofus
  • wire
  • wazoo

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Scott6373

« Reply #627 on: March 09, 2007, 09:24:23 am »
Wire  3/9/07

“There have been a lot of coyote sightings, so we gotta get them cattle down from the high field.”  The old ranch foreman dropped his cigarette and stomped its heat out of existence.  “Don’t have enough men today, so you’re gonna have ta ride alone.”  The three cowboys nodded in understanding.  “One of ya I want to go up past the ridge, make sure we haven’t missed any heifers or calves.  The other two, go on out to the high field, then split up.”

The foreman waited long enough to make sure these cowhands understood, and then rode off in the direction of the main ranch.  Wordlessly, the three men headed off in their ordered directions.  The two that were going to the high field, good friends for a long time, were pleased that they were not going up to the ridge.  It was along ride, that would most likely take all day, and they would probably be at the high field before eleven, which would mean a bit of free time for them to enjoy each other’s company:  something that did not happen frequently enough for either of them.

The lone rider began his trek.  The air was comforting, and the solitude welcome.  He was glad for the work, after thinking he may not find any that summer.  Several hours into his approach to the ridge, he spotted the coyote hovering near the tree line to his right.  He slowed, and then stopped the horse.  With quiet agility, he reached back to pull his rifle from the saddle holster.  He raised it, cocked it, took his aim, and pulled the trigger.  The click alerted the coyote of his lack of aloneness.  The animal scampered off into the wooded area. 

The cowboy cursed his luck.  His rifle had jammed, and was more than likely going to be useless for the rest of his ride.  He shoved it back into the holster without ceremony, and urged the horse to continue up the trail, which was growing steeper with each foot traveled.  Near the crest of the ridge, he began to hear the familiar sound.  Not the cattle he had become accustomed to this summer, but the sound from another summer.  As he crested the ridge, he saw them.  Scattered and without protection, they stood, knowingly waiting for their eventual death.  The only thing that kept them somewhat organized was the cattle fence that had been erected some hundred yards off to the left of the flock.  He directed his horse toward the fence, and the odd shape that seemed tangled by one of the fence posts.

As he approached, the pit of his stomach fell out.  The coyote had already been to visit, and more than likely spooked the whole flock of sheep, scattering them and sending some off in directions that would end their lives without a single ounce of flesh being lost to a predator.  He dismounted and walked over to the lamb, entangled in the fencing wire.  The entire section of fence had been pulled down by the lambs thrashing.  The small animal was fatally entangled in the wire, but God had not seen fit to allow a quick death.

Knowing what needed to be done; again the cowboy cursed the non-functioning gun.  He walked over to the pitiable baby, squatted down, and with gloved hands, took the jagged and barbed wire, wrapped it around the lambs throat, grabbed each end of the wire, and pulled, as he never pulled before, his eyes shut tightly against the horror he was creating.  When the job was done, he sat on the ground, opened his eyes as the tears of and for past, present and future events filled the sweet blue eyes that, despite knowing the outcome, loved another.

(629 words)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #628 on: March 09, 2007, 11:22:02 am »
Wire  3/9/07
.  .  .

Knowing what needed to be done; again the cowboy cursed the non-functioning gun.  He walked over to the pitiable baby, squatted down, and with gloved hands, took the jagged and barbed wire, wrapped it around the lambs throat, grabbed each end of the wire, and pulled, as he never pulled before, his eyes shut tightly against the horror he was creating.  When the job was done, he sat on the ground, opened his eyes as the tears of and for past, present and future events filled the sweet blue eyes that, despite knowing the outcome, loved another.

I always thought I had a decent vocabulary, but I find it's not really sufficient to describe your work, Scott - let alone praise it.   I'm going to be thinking about this all day.  Thank you.

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Scott6373

« Reply #629 on: March 09, 2007, 11:25:50 am »
I always thought I had a decent vocabulary, but I find it's not really sufficient to describe your work, Scott - let alone praise it.   I'm going to be thinking about this all day.  Thank you.

Marie

Aw thanks Marie...what I need is to find some way to put you in my alarm clock so that when 5 am hits everyday, I can awake to the sound of your wonderfully encouraging words.