Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1178153 times)

Offline TH

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • being surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses
lilies: cave: white:
« Reply #980 on: April 08, 2007, 09:46:29 am »
White lilies, lonesome prairie cemetery.  His chest caved.  "Shouldn't've come". 

(words: 10)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 09:24:36 pm by TH »
I know you think I know that you know what you think I said.
Know you what you think I know you know is not what I meant?

Offline TH

• Jr. Ranch Hand
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #981 on: April 08, 2007, 10:33:58 am »
Ennis’s trailer was a lily-white cave of shadows and memories.

You beat me by one word.  Drat!   

Great image, strong, evocative...  -smile

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #982 on: April 08, 2007, 10:39:48 am »
Thanks Marie

There is more of that story to come!

Mark

Great news, Mark - I was hoping!  :)

White lilies, lonesome prairie cemetery.  His chest caved.  "Shouldn't have come". 

(words:  11)

His chest caved. Brilliant, TH! 

More brilliance, adiabatic!  What a perfect description.

Love these really short ones! Thanks.

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline TH

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #983 on: April 08, 2007, 10:56:18 am »

I thought of reducing your drabble further by using "shadowy memory'... but then thought that that wasn't what you were saying. 

As I walk in some places... they are replete with more than memory... they contain shadow too. 

"Shadows and memories"...  I'll have to hold onto that one!

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #984 on: April 08, 2007, 12:02:41 pm »

Ennis has to go back to the post office to sign for a special letter. He carefully opens the white parchment envelope. It reads:

May 15, 1985

Mr. Ennis Del Mar
1800 Hwy 287 #17
Riverton, CO 82501

Dear Mr. Del Mar(Ennis)

We're very sorry it has taken so long to get this letter to you. Jack's estate has been a slow to settle, and I finally did find one of the post cards you had sent with your address, it was in his camping gear. Jack was very fond of you and spoke of you often, I  know you meant an awful lot to him. Being that he was only 39 years old he never got around to writting a will. Jack did say once should any thing happen to see to 'Ennis'. I used to give him a time about driving 14 hours to Wyoming every time to fish, and why you never came to Texas. He said about both of you liking the Big Horn mountains and that he didn't think the pickup you had would make it all the way down to Texas.

-Inside the enclosed envelope you will find a check for $25,000.00. That should buy you a nice new pickup and horse tralier. Jack said you didn't have a trailer of your own and usually had the horses in the bed.

-Also you will find a check for $10,000.00. This is to start a bank account for yourself.

-Jack always told me how proud you were of your two daughters. Jack really loved Bobby and was a good father to him. Somehow I know you were a good example in this regard. Please find two checks of $5,000.00 each to use as you see fit for your daughters welfare.

Please accept these, I know it is what Jack would want.

Also enclosing a few photos of Jack you might like to have, one I took of his rodeo ridding days not long after he met you, a family picture with myself and Bobby, and a couple of others.

Hope this letter find you well and if there is anything more we can do for you please don't hesitate to write. If you ever find yourself in Childress, Texas please look us up.

Sincerely Mrs. Lureen N. Twist

Fantasy Scene rerun.
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #985 on: April 08, 2007, 01:01:41 pm »
June 1987

"Well Sir...Ennis...I just wanted to stop by 'n meet ya.... Fella next door to your address said I'd find you here. Be head'n up ta Lightning Flat...help my grandmama... See my Grandpa passed 'n she be needin' some help on the ranch...Mebe fix it up some so she c'n sell it....Be up most of the summer." Bobby males a move to stand.

"Now you just sit right back down....No need ta be leavin' just yet." Ennis grabs one of the menus from behind the stack of napkins, sugar, salt and pepper, places it in front of Bobby. "You jist pick out anything ya want...anything at all."

"But..."

"No buts son....Ah mean Bobby...It's on me.  Your dad  liked a big chocolate milkshake." Ennis said pointing to the picture in the menu."An he loved a half pound burger, with  bacon, swiss, mushrooms, the whole works...with a load of fries....Would you like that?" Ennis  pointing  to another picture.

Bobby nod his head. "Its okay Sir...Ennis..."

"Whut?"

"You c'n call me son if ya have a mind to...lotta folks do...feels kinda good coming from you."

"All....all right then....so Ah'll get the waitress over here? Ah'll git an order fer myself....Always ate whatever your dad was having 'n we'll have some apple pie 'n ice cream fer dessert"

"Yes sir...yes Ennis."

Later as they began to work on their burgers Ennis brought up. "So...you folks gonna be needin' any heip up there?"

"Guess maybe could used all we can....hadn't been up there since dad was...."

Ennis tapped Bobby's hand. "Glad ta come up...give ah hand..."

"That' d be great....I dunno how much we c'n pay....mama sent some money with me fer supplies, lumber 'n stuff...."

"You don't be worrin' none 'bout payin' me....your daddy...dad always took real good care 'o me....Ah'll make sure we got plenty of groceries fer our meals.'

"That's real nice of you...but I can't ask....It would be great if..."

"Then it's all settled...c'n 'spect me up there in a few days, week at the latest. C'n stay all summer if need be..."

Bobby beaming at this new uncle of his.

"Now eat up son...gotta keep some meat on them bones..gonna be workin' ya hard this summer."

« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 07:23:27 pm by jpwagoneer1964 »
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #986 on: April 08, 2007, 04:25:53 pm »
(These prompts have been perfect for the direction this thing was going.....)

The Friend

(July 2003)
Ennis got up and walked over to the sink again.  Then he stood there like he was unable to move.  He almost wanted to leave, but there was no way he could.  “I had to find you” the artist said.

Ennis could not speak.  The artists’ face was now pure white, from the lack of food and sleep.  The artist held the scarf again.  He spoke softly.  “This was given to my friend’s mother.  By his father.  Just before he died.  There was trouble between them, my friend said, but for some reason his dad had this scarf wrapped up on the table for her one morning.  The card just said “For You.”  Then he died the next day.”

Ennis turned on the faucet and splashed some cool water on his face.  Suddenly, something hit him.  A force overwhelmed him.  Something like being suddenly hurled out of a dark cave.  “What is...”  He hesitated, he braced himself against the counter.  “What is your friend’s name?”

“Bobby” the artist replied, his eyes now with a stranger glow.  “Bobby Twist.”

Ennis felt his knees give way as he tried to get back to the table.  But the artist was suddenly beside him and had his arms around him.  The artist led Ennis back to the chair, and gently helped him into it.

“I was in time for her funeral.  I met his mother once.  She came to New York.  Bobby introduced me to her as his friend.  She was dressed in a suit like a uniform, she seemed as hard as rock, and as cold as ice.”  The artist said as he sat back down.  “But before she left, when Bobby went to get her coat, and we were alone, she took my hand.  It surprised and startled me.  She said 'look after him, see that he eats okay, make sure he’s happy.'  Then she left.”

“The funeral was beautiful, there were white lilies all over.  She arranged it all when she found out that she was sick.  She was such a tough businesswoman.  But she had a lot of friends.  She never wanted anyone to know about the things she did.  All the good things.  But people did know.  They all came.”

The artist paused and took a breath.  “Bobby was so close to her.  I was so worried about him.  I expected to stay with him for a while.  But he was almost okay, he was almost at peace.  In a way, he was glad she went sooner than they expected.  She never had to suffer.”

“Bobby was starting to go through some of her things.  I really didn’t know how he could, but he said that it made him feel better somehow.  Almost like she was there with him.  But then after he went through her things, he would sit on the couch for hours, as if he couldn’t move.”

“Then in the back of a drawer, wrapped up in a pillowcase he found the postcards.  The time I first saw them, I had no idea that they would change my life.”  The artist stopped, and took a deep, long breath.

Ennis closed his eyes.  He knew he needed some rest, he knew he had to get some sleep.  But he could not get up from the chair.  He could not move at all.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 04:56:26 pm by Cameron »

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #987 on: April 08, 2007, 05:02:09 pm »
(These prompts have been perfect for the direction this thing was going.....)

The Friend

The artist held the scarf again.  He spoke softly.  “This was given to my friend’s mother.  By his father.  Just before he died.  There was trouble between them, my friend said, but for some reason his dad had this scarf wrapped up on the table for her one morning.  The card just said “For You.”  Then he died the next day.”

Ennis turned on the faucet and splashed some cool water on his face.  Suddenly, something hit him.  A force overwhelmed him.  Something like being suddenly hurled out of a dark cave.  “What is...”  He hesitated, he braced himself against the counter.  “What is your friend’s name?”

“Bobby” the artist replied, his eyes now with a stranger glow.  “Bobby Twist.”

Finally the cat is out of the bag. I had no idea. Thank you Marlen. I'm eager to see why and how the postcards changed the artist's life (althoug about this, I might have an idea) and whereto the story will evolve.

Leeesliiiieeee: any Quannah drabble in sight? I don't want to be obrusive, but I could use a dose of your guys  ;D.

Offline haunted_by_bbm

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • "didn't know we was gonna get into this again..."
    • Panels of the Dream: Brokeback Mountain Stories
« Reply #988 on: April 08, 2007, 05:08:13 pm »

Leeesliiiieeee: any Quannah drabble in sight? I don't want to be obtrusive, but I could use a dose of your guys  ;D.

Ditto.     ;D 

(I'm feeling a little uninspired right now, but your guys always make me feel better)  ;)
"The room stank of semen and smoke and sweat and whiskey, of old carpet and sour hay, saddle leather, shit and cheap soap.  Ennis lay spread-eagled, spent and wet, breathing deep, still half tumescent, Jack blowing forceful cigarette clouds like whale spouts..." – Annie Proulx

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #989 on: April 08, 2007, 05:39:56 pm »
Does anyone remember that the late 70ies/early 80ies were the time when partner-look was totally hip?  :P

"... but I told her, no fucking way I'd dress like a woman!"

Ennis couldn't stop laughing. He tried to picture Jack in an all-white suit, a lily in the buttonhole, his wife glued to his side, wearing exactly the same outfit.

Jack loved the way Ennis laughed. Always starting with an almost inaudible chuckle, his shoulders shrugging, eyes sparkling, until it finally began to rumble down in Ennis's belly, punching its way out to a deep, sonorous laugh. Like now. Jack thought he had never seen anything more beautiful.

(91 words)