Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1178206 times)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #990 on: April 08, 2007, 07:59:07 pm »

Amazing drabbles today, drabblers!

Marl ~  :o I had a teeny tiny guess .. love the direction you're going!

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #991 on: April 08, 2007, 09:31:20 pm »
My dabble ... :)

While I'm Up There ...

Beautiful white lilies spring from the earthy grave;
A majestic burst of life and beauty
Surrounded by this cold, concrete slab.
The evening sun quietly recedes to its heavenly cave,
Bathing the little field in warm, diffused light,
Tombstones forming long shadows upon the earth.

He caresses a soft, white petal; stroking it gently for a while.
He whispers something to it and lowers his head;
He waits in silence, as if expecting an answer.
His eyes are watery; his chest hurts but he manages a smile.
He uproots a few weeds sprouting from the earthy bed,
And rests a brown paper bag against the headstone..

“Remember what today is?  First day we met..
I was standing out there, mindin’ my own business
When ya drove right up and changed my life forever..”
Brown eyes piercing into cold concrete; his face wet..
“Ya didn’t have the decency to leave me alone, did ya?
So glad you didn’t, even tho’ ya messed me up good..”

He laughs weakly and wipes away a fresh tear.
“I wanna see ya so bad .. I wanna touch ya.
I wanna say to yer face that .. that .. I love ya.
I never said it before, but I know that even now ya hear.
I brought ya something; it’s in the little bag.
I just needed to see ya today, talk to ya for a while..”

“Ennis...” he heard the voice call his name.  “Ennis..” and then there was gentle tapping on his shoulder.  “You awake? I gotta get back up to them woollies  ... Make somethin’ good for supper will ya?” Jack kissed him longingly on the lips, sat up and began putting on his clothes.  Ennis watched him as if in a trance.. “You’re still here..” he said in a near whisper.

Jack gave him a puzzled look and laughed.  “Where the hell else would I be?” He pulled on his thick coat, “I’ll think of ya every second I’m up there..”  A big smile, a wink and a few moments later, he was gone.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 09:38:41 pm by Lucise »

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #992 on: April 08, 2007, 09:38:25 pm »
I agree with M- Amazing drabbles everyone!

Thank You Chrissie and M

I wondered if it was really obvious, but that's the way it happened ;)

A litte more to go, I guess;

Thanks again :)

Marl

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #993 on: April 08, 2007, 09:44:51 pm »

.  .  .Bobby beaming at this new uncle of his.

"Now eat up son...gotta keep some meat on them bones..gonna be workin' ya hard this summer."   

Thanks for continuing, Mark - how I love to imagine this "sequel" - helps bring me peace.  And that picture of Jack . . . oh, my. 

.  .  .
“Bobby” the artist replied, his eyes now with a stranger glow.  “Bobby Twist.”

I'm like Chrissi, Marl - you took me completely by surprise.  Wonderful job.  Now I'm going back to re-read.   :)

Does anyone remember that the late 70ies/early 80ies were the time when partner-look was totally hip?  :P
.  .  .

Jack loved the way Ennis laughed. Always starting with an almost inaudible chuckle, his shoulders shrugging, eyes sparkling, until it finally began to rumble down in Ennis's belly, punching its way out to a deep, sonorous laugh. Like now. Jack thought he had never seen anything more beautiful.

I sure do remember, Chrissi  :)   How I love to see our boys in a lighthearted moment!   :laugh:

My dabble ... :)

While I'm Up There ...

.  .  .
He laughs weakly and wipes away a fresh tear.
“I wanna see ya so bad .. I wanna touch ya.
I wanna say to yer face that .. that .. I love ya.
I never said it before, but I know that even now ya hear.
I brought ya something; it’s in the little bag.
I just needed to see ya today, talk to ya for a while..”[/i]

I have to thank you, Milli - for knowing exactly how to break my heart in such an exquisite way. 

Thank you all,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #994 on: April 08, 2007, 09:54:07 pm »
Thanks for continuing, Mark - how I love to imagine this "sequel" - helps bring me peace.  And that picture of Jack . . . oh, my. 

Marie
Thanks Marie, always look forward to your comments.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 11:01:52 pm by jpwagoneer1964 »
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #995 on: April 09, 2007, 07:22:37 am »
Hi everyone,

For today:

• sweatshirt
  • ragged breath
  • bricks

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #996 on: April 09, 2007, 12:53:59 pm »
June 1987

Four days later Ennis negotiated the last half mile of the washboard road leading to Lightning Flat.Thoughts of Jack danced in is head, paid visit to his dreams in sleep. Like when he made the journey before overcome by the isolation, even by Wyoming standards, the vast desolate land. How Jack, so friendly, ever the dreamer, had been raised up here, miles from nowhere. At last the old barn, then the farm house came into view. Taken back with start he spots the young cowboy, dark short sleeve plaid shirt, sweatshirt tied around his waist on a dark horse looking for all the world like Jack. Son of the father.

"Hey Ennis You made it!" Big wide smile, so relieved Ennis came.  "So glad you came! Dunno what I'm doin' here trin' ta fix this place up....sure couldn't  be makin much progress on my own."

Ennis get out of his truck and the exchange warn handshakes. "No need ta worrin' none 'bout it. Happy ta be here."

"Just in time fer some lunch...come on now, want ya ta meet my grandma."

"Ennis!....Ennis so your the one Bobby spoke of gonna be givin' us a hand."

"You two know each other?...I mean."

Mrs. Twist started to speak, Ennis looked to her  as he cut in. "Came up here once after your daddy was gone....Your grandma here was real nice ta me." Ennis turning to Bobby then back to Mrs. Twist. "Ma'am, I'm real sorry ta hear 'bout Jack's daddy....must be hard without 'm"

"Thanks Ennis....I think he liked you...he was real glad  you came up  those....came up here after Jack was gone...." Mrs. twist looking back at Ennis.  "Now come on bring your stuff in, puttun' lunch on the table."

"Don't want ta be puttin' ya out Ma'am."

"No trouble at all."

The three sat down to a table of freshly made biscuits, potato, salad, sliced ham, large picture of ice tea, bottle of cold milk. "Bobby would you like ta  say grace?"

"Yes Ma'am.  Dear Lord thank you for the meal my grandma prepared before us, thank you fer bringin' Ennis here safe and fer him bein with us this summer, kinda feel like a parta'  dad's back...and keep us in the days ahead...Amen."

"Grandma is there any honey fer the biscuits?"

"Yes sweetheart I'll..."

"Sit down ma'am....I get fer ya." Ennis get up walk to the second cupboard finds the honey, sets it down on the table.  Bobby looks at him. "Eat up son.....what were ya workin on this mornin'"

Bobby take a few bits, swallows, look back at Ennis. "Had a problem with  one of the fences, steer pushed one of the posts over cant get the barbed wire ta say."

"Let's you n' me ride out have a look...bet we can fix it ta stay,"

"Ya see son, you loop the wire 'round the post like a this, that way the wire don't stress 'n stays tight won't break loose....Rancher I worked fer with my brother long time ago taught me that loop...most folk don't know it." Ennis and Bobby are way out on the range at the offending fence post. "Show me so I know you got it. See it no so hard, worth the extra effort."

Bobby stood back and admired his handwork, then walked to the next post, then the next. "Ennis...Ennis these post have the same kinda loop....just like...."

"Whut....that don't mean nothin'...."

"Ennis...you've been here before.....you knew where grandma kept the honey....you mended these fences....you worked on this ranch....did you and my dad....?"

Ennis look down. "Bobby....Your dad most of the time would come here after he seen me....stay up here a week 'n fix what he could, help out you grandparents....After he wuz gone....well....thought it wuz least Ah could do....come up here in his place....spent the time up here I used ta spend with him....felt closed ta him here....."

Bobby looked down trying to hold back his tears. "Thanks......thanks Ennis.....I'm real glad your here now."

Ennis gives him a hearty pat on the shoulders. "Ah am too...son...Now come on...lets git ...gotta lotta work ta be doin'."

« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 09:59:09 pm by jpwagoneer1964 »
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline haunted_by_bbm

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • "didn't know we was gonna get into this again..."
    • Panels of the Dream: Brokeback Mountain Stories
« Reply #997 on: April 09, 2007, 01:09:43 pm »

Morning After

Lazy L Farm 
Quanah, Texas

Saturday, August 16, 1986

Ennis stomped through the kitchen in a helluva hurry, breath ragged with his race from the barn, eyes focused on one destination. 

He busted through the bathroom door, not even noticing that it had been all the way closed, before coming up short, coughing profusely, right hand going up quickly to cover his mouth and nose.

“Fuck, En…” Jack looked up wearily from taking care of business, wearing nothing but an old torn sweatshirt, exclaiming red-faced,  “Mind givin’ me some privacy, cowboy…I’m shittin’ bricks here!”   

“uuhh, sorry.”  Ennis mumbled apologetically, right hand still covering the lower half of his face.  “Didn’t mean…didn’t mean to...  Sorry.  uuuhhh…  Sorry…” Ennis muttered one more time, before turning to rush through the house to their second bathroom, only one thought on his mind.

‘Damn, aint never gonna let him make that blasted chili recipe again.’

(150 Words)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 01:21:19 pm by haunted_by_bbm »
"The room stank of semen and smoke and sweat and whiskey, of old carpet and sour hay, saddle leather, shit and cheap soap.  Ennis lay spread-eagled, spent and wet, breathing deep, still half tumescent, Jack blowing forceful cigarette clouds like whale spouts..." – Annie Proulx

Offline TH

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • being surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses
sweatshirt: ragged breath: bricks:
« Reply #998 on: April 09, 2007, 01:22:57 pm »
Pulling the sweatshirt off, amid ragged breaths, he felt he could shit bricks.

(words:  13)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 09:10:26 pm by TH »
I know you think I know that you know what you think I said.
Know you what you think I know you know is not what I meant?

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #999 on: April 09, 2007, 02:12:06 pm »
Thanks Marie

There is more of that story to come!

Mark

I really liked the drabbles today....they are just wonderful.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 02:24:49 pm by ifyoucantfixit »

Beautiful mind