Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1184298 times)

Offline haunted_by_bbm

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • "didn't know we was gonna get into this again..."
    • Panels of the Dream: Brokeback Mountain Stories
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #920 on: April 03, 2007, 02:49:05 pm »
Hey, I am glad you did, I think it's great!

L

lol   Thanks.   ;)   
"The room stank of semen and smoke and sweat and whiskey, of old carpet and sour hay, saddle leather, shit and cheap soap.  Ennis lay spread-eagled, spent and wet, breathing deep, still half tumescent, Jack blowing forceful cigarette clouds like whale spouts..." – Annie Proulx

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #921 on: April 03, 2007, 04:52:48 pm »
.  .  .
Jack took a handful of candies from the bowl and smoothed out Ennis’s palm, counting the colored ones into it. “Tell ya what, you eat these and I’ll eat the brown and then nothin’ goes ta waste.”

Ennis laughed. “You’d do that for me?”

“I would,” Jack nodded.

”Must be love.” 

Nothing like Lazy L Jack and Ennis to brighten my day.   :laugh:  I like the red ones myself! 

.  .  .
Jack awoke suddenly; beads of perspiration dotted all over his forehead.  He could feel the warm, wet stickiness down there, through the light fabric of his pajama bottoms.  The clock on Lureen’s vanity read 4.35am.  He lay back dolefully into the pillows and stared at the ceiling, his heart still racing.  Few moments later, he closed his eyes, praying for sleep and more ... That was to be his last dream of Ennis ..
[/color]

God, you're killing me here, Milli.  As soon as I saw that date, I knew.  :'(

Okay, something funny happened to me this morning when I read the daily drabble prompts...and I am going to completely and totally blame it on the medication I'm on.  I misread one of the prompts, and didn't realize it until just a moment ago when I read Leslie's drabble.  I'm sitting here laughing my ass off, so I decided to post my mistake anyway, hoping that maybe everyone will smile and cut me some slack since I think the blood thinning medicine is making me hallucinate.   ;)   lol    Cristine 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

.  . .“Now, please…explain THAT to me,” Jack laughed, pointing to the Addressee section on their shared utility bill: M. & Ms. Ennis del Mar.    

Hey, kids - I did the same thing - it took me two drabbles to figure it out - I'm thinking "Wow, that's weird why is everyone writing about M&M's?"  LOL!!! 

I loved this C, - it was great seeing them as a "married couple" - in any form!  LOL!  Glad you're back at drabblefest!

Thanks,
Marie

The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline haunted_by_bbm

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • "didn't know we was gonna get into this again..."
    • Panels of the Dream: Brokeback Mountain Stories
« Reply #922 on: April 03, 2007, 05:04:53 pm »
Thanks Marie!    :)
And I'm feeling better about my mistake now.  lol
I wasn't the only one who glanced at it and didn't see candy.  lol   ;) 
(But it was fun blaming my meds, anyway.)    ;)

C*
"The room stank of semen and smoke and sweat and whiskey, of old carpet and sour hay, saddle leather, shit and cheap soap.  Ennis lay spread-eagled, spent and wet, breathing deep, still half tumescent, Jack blowing forceful cigarette clouds like whale spouts..." – Annie Proulx

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #923 on: April 04, 2007, 07:09:49 am »
Folks,

I guess the proper way to write the candy is m&ms. Who knew? Anyway, it was fun, even with the mixup. This is all about creativity anyway, isn't it?

Give these a go for today

• lenient
  • citrus fruit
  • doppelganger

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #924 on: April 04, 2007, 07:40:17 am »
Hiya drabblers,

I'm not as good as a cheerleader as our Maire, but I still love all those drabbles.

Marlen, you have me especially hooked with Tom and the artist. Love the idea of serial drabbles.

I didn't have time for drabbling myself the past days, Now I have - but my mind is totally blank regarding todays prompts.

Oh, and haunted: I loved the way you misread the M&Ms prompt :laugh:.

Offline TH

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • being surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses
It couldn't have just been the booze.
« Reply #925 on: April 04, 2007, 09:04:51 am »
   Pawing over oranges, in the citrus fruit section... he looked up to see himself standing there.  A doppelganger. 

"Be lenient with yourself."

"Whut?"

"Be lenient with yourself."  ... an it was gone.

No one else seemed to have taken any notice. 

This ghostly other self had told him something... he would have expected to hear from those who cared about him. 

Damn... it couldn't have just been the booze. 

(69 words)
I know you think I know that you know what you think I said.
Know you what you think I know you know is not what I meant?

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #926 on: April 04, 2007, 09:46:09 am »
Chrissie,

Thank you so much, I am so very glad that you are enjoying them!!!!!

:)
Marl

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #927 on: April 04, 2007, 10:21:39 am »
The Explanation

(July 2003)
"I guess I need to tell you the whole story” the artist said.  He lit a new stick of incense and put it in the vase on the table.  This one smelled different that the ones before, it smelled like citrus fruit mostly.  Ennis sat at the table looking at the artist.  His head and his heart were pounding.

“Are you sure that your okay?  Can I get you that tea now?" the artist asked with concern.

Ennis nodded.  He hadn’t slept for days. The artist made the tea, brought the cups over and sat down at the table.

“Where do I start?  I suppose I need to tell you about myself.  I’m from the east.  From a little town in Delaware, of all places.  I ran away to New York when I was sixteen.  I had to get away from my family.  Let’s just say my parents were not very lenient.  It was tough, real tough, but New York sure was something in those days.”

The artist paused and looked at Ennis staring at him.  “I guess you have no idea, I’ll bet you never were out of Wyoming.”

Ennis managed a smile.  The artist chuckled.

“It was tough, I slept in the streets and on park benches.  If I was lucky I slept on a stranger’s couch.  Usually it was in a stranger’s bed” the artist continued but his voice became quieter.

“But it was something, I met all kinds of people, wild, crazy, creative people.  There was music and art and the most intense nights.  I saw and learned so much.”

Ennis remembered the magazine Cassie once showed him, with pictures of strange people wearing all black and with hair of all colors.  He remembered looking with disbelief.  He never imagined he would ever meet one of these people.  “How the hell did ya end up out here?”  Ennis thought to himself, not realizing he said it out loud.

The artist stopped, but then went on.  “I met a few special people too.  The first was older.  He was a professor, he taught me so much, about life, about art” the artist said, his voice again getting softer.  He paused, his pale eyes peering into Ennis’s soul.

“The second was my age.  I met him at a bar.  He wasn’t from anywhere around there.  He was visiting for a few days.  He walked into the bar, a gay bar” and the artist paused.  “He looked scared.  I watched him for a while, then I went over to him.  He stayed in New York, we were together for almost seven years.”  The artist closed his eyes.  “We were so different, yet deep down he was my doppelganger.”

Ennis stared at him quizzically.  The artist laughed a little.  “He was like my double, in the inside at least, my soul mate, like we were meant for each other, I thought we would be together forever….”

A sad look came over his pale face.  Ennis closed his eyes.  But the artist was still before him.  He opened them again and reached over to take the artists’ cool hand.

(I know I am so over, sorry.)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 10:52:03 am by Cameron »

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #928 on: April 04, 2007, 11:37:39 am »

Oooh, I loved that Marl! 
You are such a tease - giving us tiny bits at a time like you are ..  :P
But I love it!

TH ~  Good to see ya drabbling again!  :)

Cheers,
~M

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #929 on: April 04, 2007, 12:32:42 pm »
I didn't have time for drabbling myself the past days, Now I have - but my mind is totally blank regarding todays prompts. 

I'm always happy to see a Chrissi Drabble - whenever inspiration strikes  :)

.  .  .
   "Be lenient with yourself."  ... an it was gone. 

Wonderful, TH!  Couldn't we all use a doppelganger like that at times.

.  .  . “He was like my double, in the inside at least,.  .  .

Yes, the "inside" that we can't see is the most important part!  More, please.   :)

I knew I was gonna love that "doppelganger" prompt. 

Thanks,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain